Probably a really easy fix.

When I was riding today. Big ring at the front and bigger gears on the back, when I put down substantial power on climbs etc my gears felt like they were 'slipping'

Bike only been ridden a handful of times from new, should I take it to the to LBS to get my gears re done after cables being stretched or is it an easy fix I can do myself?

Thanks

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Riding big/big is asking for trouble and shouldn't be done.
    Easy fix. Don't do it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    As above, shouldn't really ride big/big as it puts a lot of side load on the chain. Try to use the smaller 2/3s of the back with the big ring and larger 2/3s with the little. There is enough overlap in gears that you still get the full range.
    But having said that it still shouldn't slip. Rather than trying to explain it take a look at the Park Tools website how to pages for gear adjustment and maybe a few other videos to familiarise yourself. It's not rocket science but tinkering without knowing what you're doing and why will only make things worse. When you do start make one adjustment and take a note of what you did, if it gets worse go back to your starting point and go the other way. Don't do too much at once as you may really struggle to get it back to your starting point.
  • Gear slipping is not the best description. Your chain is most likely trying to move between sprockets. Yes take to the shop you bought it from. If bought from the web bikes will need setting up before being ridden.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if the chain chunks around (ie doesn't seem to sit on the cassette and I suppose could be described as slipping) when you move up the cassette - ie to a larger sprocket - turn the barrel adjuster a 1/2 or 1/4 of a turn at a time anti clockwise.

if its the opposite, do the opposite.

repeat throughout the cassette range.

all you're doing is playing with the cable tension that moves the mech.

so long as you don't go undoing any bolts and ripping cables out it'll be easy to get back to your starting place.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Big-big isn't really a big deal and often overstated; You should still be able to set it up to run smoothly. If you only ever used 2-3 with each ring you would only have 5-6 gears!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

If you only ever used 2-3 with each ring you would only have 5-6 gears!

You still using a 5 speed block? I use 7-8 either side of an 11 speed cassette. All possible gear ratios can be met using this. Tuning is done as per above.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

Big-big isn't really a big deal and often overstated; You should still be able to set it up to run smoothly. If you only ever used 2-3 with each ring you would only have 5-6 gears!

Yeah so many people are obsessed with "cross chaining", literally ridden 10's of thousands miles in this way and had no issues, once it's set up properly. No idea why people still think it's such a big issue.
  • MattFalle
    50x11 said:

Big-big isn't really a big deal and often overstated; You should still be able to set it up to run smoothly. If you only ever used 2-3 with each ring you would only have 5-6 gears!

Yeah so many people are obsessed with "cross chaining", literally ridden 10's of thousands miles in this way and had no issues, once it's set up properly. No idea why people still think it's such a big issue.
    This. Very well said.

#goodpointwellpresented
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    50x11 said:

I don't have any hard experimental evidence to the contrary but just because something works doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. If you're in big, big then you're likely putting a lot of force through the chain already, so from a mechanical point of view you would imagine that having the chain out of line is going to add a lot of extra stress at the exact moment it is under the most severe load. I do it myself now and again but I try and avoid it if I can.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2020
    What's the point of riding big to big anyway? Extra horizontal stress on the pins and rollers. Whatever the ratio is on that combo is somewhere else in a more mechanically sympathetic front/rear gear selection.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Because sometimes it easier to bosh it big to big then faff about with 6,000 gear changes - eg through town. Or up a short sharp hill. Or a multitude of other reasons.

Tbh, its not really a problem.

#theresnothingreallywrongwithit
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    If you cross chain, it will wear out your chain days or weeks earlier than necessary and over the course of your lifetime could cost you literally several pounds.
  • Never did it to save a pound or two. Never did it to make drivetrain last a few days longer either. Didn't do it out of respect for my bike and because it feels like the wrong thing to do.
  • MattFalle

Never did it to save a pound or two. Never did it to make drivetrain last a few days longer either. Didn't do it out of respect for my bike and because it feels like the wrong thing to do.

So why did you do it?
  • I 'did it' on a workstand to make sure my chain wasn't too short.😲
  • MattFalle
    Cool. Coolcoolcool. Its just that your post confused everyone.

#cool
  • MattFalle

I 'did it' on a workstand to make sure my chain wasn't too short.😲

Oh - as an aside, was it too short?

#inquiry
  • shortfall said:

50x11 said:

I don't have any hard experimental evidence to the contrary but just because something works doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. If you're in big, big then you're likely putting a lot of force through the chain already, so from a mechanical point of view you would imagine that having the chain out of line is going to add a lot of extra stress at the exact moment it is under the most severe load. I do it myself now and again but I try and avoid it if I can.
    Opposite, big big will have less force on the chain than small small. Maths innit!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

shortfall said:

50x11 said:

Opposite, big big will have less force on the chain than small small. Maths innit!
    "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

50x11 said:

Yes you're quite right, but what I mean is that you're probably in big at the back because you're going up something steep and having to stomp on the pedals a bit so having a crossed chainline in those circumstances isn't ideal from a mechanical point of view.
  • MattFalle
    Why will ypu be stomping if you are in an easy to pedal gear? Surely you'll be gliding?

You'd be stomping the pedals if you were in a gear that you found difficult.
  • MattFalle said:

Cool. Coolcoolcool. Its just that your post confused everyone.

#cool

Apologies, it sounded right in my head. I'd cut the chain just right.😇

#hatedfishingforgearstoo
  • MattFalle
    groovy as gravy. glad to see all tranquillo.

#cool.coolcoolcool.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    50x11 said:

I don’t really care about whether cross chain chaining is good bad or indifferent but I don’t believe you have ridden 10’s of thousand miles in big and big. You might do few times as you go over crest of hill but thousands of miles no.
  • vincesummerskRoxcBTr
    edited December 2020
    Ii can see cross chaining was a problem when people had triple front chainsets, but with a double? Like to see some actual evidence. I do it occasionally with big ring to big ring and don't see fast chain wear or other problems.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    webboo said:

50x11 said:

I don’t really care about whether cross chain chaining is good bad or indifferent but I don’t believe you have ridden 10’s of thousand miles in big and big. You might do few times as you go over crest of hill but thousands of miles no.
    Needs to change user name to "50x28".
  • There's a lot of lateral movement (of the chain) on some of these new 1x things out there, we’ll see how those fair in time
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2020

There's a lot of lateral movement (of the chain) on some of these new 1x things out there, we’ll see how those fair in time

The main and obviously unavoidable downside to 1x drivetrains.

Although most of the time I'm in the middle of the cassette anyway so doubt there will be a quantifiable amount of extra wear.

It's acceptible and the positives far outweigh the small compromises imo.

#garlicbreaditsthefuture
  • MattFalle
    Essentially though, what you are potentially looking at potentially is losing a couple of days wear from from a £15 chain? Yah?

Righty-o

#TDKBOMBlaughsinyourface
  • shortfall
    edited December 2020
    A few things. My best bike has a Chorus cassette which are currently retailing at circa £100 depending on ratios. I've tried a variety of different chains but Chorus and equivalent quality KMC cost me around £35 last time I bought them. Ok so that's probably not even a good night out darn Sarf but certainly a bit steep for something as consumable as chains and cassettes. In terms of lifespan I expect 3 chains and one cassette to do at least 10,000 miles and I'm 17 stone and do most of my cycling in the Yorkshire Dales so that's pretty hard on equipment. Anecdotally I can tell you that I get a lot more mileage from my chains and cassettes than most of my mates. I avoid cross chaining if I can, I'm fastidious about cleaning and lubing my chain, and I'm on Campag and they're all on Shimano. I don't know which of the variables contributes to the longevity of my stuff over theirs but I think it's probably a combination of everything. Whether it's my cars, motorbikes, fishing gear or whatever I try and show it a bit of care and mechanical sympathy and see that as part of the pleasure of ownership and getting value for money. Each to their own.