Chorus or SR Crankset

Hello all,

I do realize there is information all over the place debating the merits of one over the other. Seems the Super Record crankset gets some support as being more than just a 'bling' upgrade. Just wondering if anybody who's ridden both thinks it's worth the price. I'm building my first / last nice bike, everything else on it will be Chorus. Also, is the SR crankset higher maintenance as it doesn't have a seal?

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    SR is bling, maybe a few grammes lighter and will have ceramic bearings. In real world use it will have no advantages over Chorus. Personally I'd stick with Chorus, particularly if the rest of the group set is the same. You'll lose out on some minor bragging rights but you'll have a few hundred quid saved to spend on the wife, or alternatively some hookers depending on your circumstances 😁
  • That's the answer I was expecting (minus the hookers), more just fishing for an excuse I guess. Been riding chorus for a decade without any problems, keep wondering how much better record and super record could actually be, would be cool to find out but the price jump to super record is huge.

Spending a little extra on the wife probably a good idea, pretty lucky she was OK with all of this in the first place.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    steph79 said:

That's the answer I was expecting (minus the hookers), more just fishing for an excuse I guess. Been riding chorus for a decade without any problems, keep wondering how much better record and super record could actually be, would be cool to find out but the price jump to super record is huge.

Spending a little extra on the wife probably a good idea, pretty lucky she was OK with all of this in the first place.

Lol, joking apart I have 11 speed Record which is great but when I replaced the BB bearings which are the ceramic balls in steel races (I think) rather than the full ceramic jobs in SR, I replaced them with good quality steel versions for about a quarter of the price and there is FA difference in use, feel and longeivity.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I picked up a lightly used SR crank for the price of a new Chorus and I love it, but there's no way I'd pay the full price.

The titanium axle is a nice, lighter upgrade, and I've no complaints over the CULT bearing either, seal or no seal they have way outlasted the bearings that I had in my previous Chorus crankset, which I had to change regularly.

At the end of the day it's your money (and your wife), no one can choose for you.
  • You tell your wife what you spend on your bike or even what tour buying. Got my eye on a stainless steel track frame. She knows nothing about it nor cares.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

You tell your wife what you spend on your bike or even what tour buying. Got my eye on a stainless steel track frame. She knows nothing about it nor cares.

Good point. I don't mention the cost of my purchases, and neither does she.
    We both think the other spends less than they do. I think.... 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Yeah, we're kind of the same. We know about each others upcoming purchases, don't always discuss pricing though. I imagine there's a limit to that somewhere, don't want to be the first to find it.

I was set to move on it but when the guy at the LBS recommend against it I was a little surprised and decided to go back to the forums. Practically speaking the entire bike is completely overkill for anything I'm capable of so I was surprised when the SR crank became the 'you don't really need that' item.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    You don't really need it but do you want it, that's the question.....

#YOLO
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Check out the prices the mrs pays for a hand bag, or even a bottle of shampoo. You might think it is just a few quid, bet it isn't.
  • MattFalle
    moisturiser, that's the one you want to look out for.

#howmuch?seriously?can'tyouuselard?
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2020
    MattFalle said:

moisturiser, that's the one you want to look out for.

#howmuch?seriously?can'tyouuselard?

TDV uses moisturiser? Shocker!
    Does that explain the lushness? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    Aaargh shucks - you make us blush.

Although she is nutarally lush and soft and kind yes, she does apply some form of moisturiser to maintain her gorgeousness.

She isn't known as the Rose of Lladudno for nothing you know.

#soft
  • I'm not allowed to use the nice shampoo actually. An alternative is always placed in the shower for me though so I don't ask questions.
  • The SR crankset is a lovely thing to have. If you can, do get one.
  • pblakeney

The SR crankset is a lovely thing to have. If you can, do get one.

No it is not. Campagnolo followed the crowd and ruined it by going 4 spoke.
    Appearances are a personal thing so all comments a void, including this one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I have the Chorus (12sp) crankset and it's rather lovely imo.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

oooh. you never told us that before you sly hound.

pics of bike please.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

pics of bike please.
    I have chorus on my 80s Aurthur Caygill columbus SL frame bike, so it's a real mix of old and new.

My Carbon Felt F1 is Ultegra. I'll have to dig some pics out or take some.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

pics of bike please.
    I have chorus on my 80s Aurthur Caygill columbus SL frame bike, so it's a real mix of old and new.

My Carbon Felt F1 is Ultegra. I'll have to dig some pics out or take some.
    the former yes please, the latter no need until you change the groupset for a proper one.

grazie.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have one of the last of the 5 spoke SR 11 speed chainset's (please not crankset, this is a UK site) on my summer Colnago, and it is a thing of beauty, but of course I would say that :)
  • I’ve just replaced 2010 Athena with 2015+ Chorus on my summer bike.

Except the chainset; I went for the 2010 Chorus version, as it’s completely compatible but doesn’t look ****.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • I'll definitely work on the 'chainset vs crankset' thing, the other one I get caught on is 'campag vs campy'.

How's parts supply for you guys? I know covid is the main contributor to delays but is the time of year also part of it? Was wondering if the 2021 Campag models just haven't started coming out yet.

Bike shops here are already talking about shortages worse than 2020 and are encouraging 'buy before you try', as they don't expect to have any stock around to try. Lake recommends ordering in February to get shoes for May.....
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    For several model generations now the only real differences between Chorus, Record and SR have been weight and aesthetics. With 12sp though there is a significant weight benefit to going with SR as opposed to Record or Chorus - 12sp in general is pretty heavy, and SR is really the only option that acheives weights similar to the 11sp, range. With 11sp, Record was a good option as it was practically the same weight as SR but cheaper - now Record is much nearer Chorus in weight and you need to stump up for SR to get the lighter stuff.
  • steph79 said:

How's parts supply for you guys? I know covid is the main contributor to delays but is the time of year also part of it? Was wondering if the 2021 Campag models just haven't started coming out yet.

Awful. I ordered a new bike last May, and specced Campag 12-speed. The bike arrived a week before Xmas, and four months of the delay were down to problems sourcing the Campag parts.

They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • I put in for the change to SR on the chainset a little while back but at this point it'll just be whatever they manage to get in stock for the spring. Good to know it's not just me, we're on about month 5 waiting for the Campag parts but it's been over the winter so not too bad I guess.
  • pblakeney
    steph79 said:

I put in for the change to SR on the chainset a little while back but at this point it'll just be whatever they manage to get in stock for the spring. Good to know it's not just me, we're on about month 5 waiting for the Campag parts but it's been over the winter so not too bad I guess.

The biggest delay in getting parts from Italy used to be the summer shutdown, not winter. Hope you get it before the end of July. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I managed to get my 12 speed SR EPS equipped bike just in the nick of time last year. There are real problems in the supply chains at present, although if you shop around and aren’t too fussed about crank lengths and exactly what ring combo you want, getting SR chainsets isn’t too bad, it’s just trying to get all the groupset components at the same time that’s difficult, I.M.E.
  • The new 12 speed SR is a different design to the Chorus and Record. They have a much stiffer chainring. So if you are some huge gorilla with a sprint record to protect then SR makes sense.

I have Chorus on my disc bike and Record on my summer bike. and their chain rings are compatable. SR isn't.
  • Going purely by athletic ability I should probably be shopping at Walmart. This is basically what I wish I could have bought 15 years ago when I could have actually made some good use of it. It's fun though and I hope to have it for a long time, trying to get the best I can even if I can't push it to its limits. Money no object it would be full SR.

I asked the LBS about mixing components to speed things up but it really sounds like there's nothing out there. I thought about ordering parts separately from all over and bringing them in but the local guys are good. Rather give the $ to them if at all possible, they're reasonable on pricing too.

Plus I need them to put it together, not sure how well it would go over me walking in with a box of parts.
  • MattFalle

I managed to get my 12 speed SR EPS equipped bike just in the nick of time last year. There are real problems in the supply chains at present, although if you shop around and aren’t too fussed about crank lengths and exactly what ring combo you want, getting SR chainsets isn’t too bad, it’s just trying to get all the groupset components at the same time that’s difficult, I.M.E.

shame you couldn't find one that fitted you tbh. or one that isn't a mid range model at a top range price.

but hey ho, horses for courses.