First time build up from the frameset: Scott Team CR1

JDSaraidaridis
JDSaraidaridis Posts: 2
edited December 2020 in Workshop
Hi All - new to the forums here. I'm building up my first road bike from the frameset, using a 2008 Scott Team CR1 that was gifted to me for this purpose. It's a 58 cm and I'm 6'4" and 97 kg, but built like a dachsund XD.

I'm presently planning to install ultegra R8000 and just got my hands on a full groupset. Still looking for a braze on front deraileur though, since that was out of stock (hmu if you need a 34.9 band-on 11spd or have a braze on available). I'm wondering if I can just put an older 10spd deraileur and use an old shifter for the front deraileur and brakes. Any experience with this?

Gonna get a 25mm laidback seatpost and long (120-140 mm) stem to better fit me. Still undecided on wheelset - any recommendations for a clydesdale?

As it stands now:

Comments

• Don't think you can use a 10sp one but you can get standalone bands to which you can attach a braze on front mech.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    A front mech is a front mech - you can use any.

All the lever does is move it in two planes - out and in - its not as exact as a like a rear mech that has pull ratios etc.

You can also use Sora, Tiagra, 105 so lots of options.

MF would actually recommend not using an 8000 series front mech as tbey have a stupid design of a daft grub screw that takes up slack before you start setting up the mech - this grub screw is a pain in the back side and its all a faff.

He ran a 6700 front mech on his S3 for a whole with no problems so this route is recommended. Looks nice, don't have the stupid plastic cover to lose, easier to set up .....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'm using a 10 speed front mech with 11 speed shifters and it works fine. Was going to get an 11 speed to match everything else but there is no need.
  • Ah nice, thank you for all the responses
  • Wheel wise, you could look at hand built ones. There are a number of wheel builders out there...
    DCR Wheels
    Ryanbuildswheels
    Strada
    thecycleclinic
    JRA
    etc etc.
    https://google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=wheel+builders+uk&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

There's probably one reasonably local to you.
    Malcolm from thecycleclinic is on these forums too.
  • MattFalle
    Avoid Hunt for wheels - overpriced and really not that good.

Good recommendations above - haven't heard anything bad about Malcolm's stuff tbh.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

Don't think you can use a 10sp one but you can get standalone bands to which you can attach a braze on front mech.

Surely you wouldnt put a band around a carbon frame?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MattFalle
    Yup - no problem at all.

Why not?
  • Why not. My Boardman is band on.
  • MattFalle
    Exactly what SB said.

No problem with using them at all.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The current version's of the Shimano 11 speed mechanical FD, whether 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace shift up/down so much easier and smoother than previous versions, bearing in mind it's the cheapest component of the group it's madness not to get the correct part.
  • MattFalle
    Well, MF took off an 8000 one to use a last gen one and noticed absolutely no difference.

And apart from the fact the Ultegra ones at least don't look very nice, break easily, are heavier, have a stupid plastic cap that falls off and are a really, really stupid design to set up with a stupid cable pre load grub screw that chews up and are more expensive and you don't really need it as a different one works just as well without the shortcomings I suppose its an option.

#options
  • flasher
    edited December 2020
    #maybe
    MattFalle said:

Well, MF took off an 8000 one to use a last gen one and noticed absolutely no difference.

And apart from the fact the Ultegra ones at least don't look very nice, break easily, are heavier, have a stupid plastic cap that falls off and are a really, really stupid design to set up with a stupid cable pre load grub screw that chews up and are more expensive and you don't really need it as a different one works just as well without the shortcomings I suppose its an option.

#options

#maybeyouneedyourlbstodoyourspannering
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Nope - MFs spannering is fine. Its the LBS that fecked up the mech when trying to change a crank which they also fecked up.

Ultegra ain't that great no matter what the clubbies/marketing say, which is why its in a box in the loft and the Red that replaced it that MF fitted and fettled works perfectly.

#don'tbelievetheclubbiehype
  • MattFalle
    Oh - and 8000 left hand shifters also fall apart a lot which is why Madison have none left to do warranty swaps.

#Ultegra.Nothanks.GotanyCampyorSRAM?
  • flasher
    MattFalle said:

Nope - MFs spannering is fine. Its the LBS that fecked up the mech when trying to change a crank which they also fecked up.

Ultegra ain't that great no matter what the clubbies/marketing say, which is why its in a box in the loft and the Red that replaced it that MF fitted and fettled works perfectly.

Yet you're recommending something that you no longer use

#verystrange

Check the 5* reviews at Wiggle or Merlin and see what your missing.

Obviously clubbie hype.......

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-fd-r8000-front-derailleur-11-speed-102883.html

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-fd-r8000-front-derailleur-band-on
    ilRagno said:

" tried the whole drivetrain, this is the diamond in groupset. It's like having an 800 pound gorilla move the chain into the big ring, just so close to effortless....makes my Dura Ace 9000 look pathetic. Highly recommended.

Mr Foulds said:

I hate front derailleurs because I always have to spend too much time and frustration fiddling around with them to get them set up just right, this FD is however a true blessing and makes the process much easier!

• MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Read the first post then read MF's reply - he didn't recommend using an 8000 mech.

If you must have it its only worth having because its cheap and you don't mind when you smash it up because its disposable. Its not even very nice to look at.

Tbh, you may as well fit a Tiagra front mech as its even cheaper and does exactly the same job.

And no, I'm not missing anything because I had it and took it off. Its not that great, but hey, if you're into second rate stuff then fill ya boots. I presume you have it, ya?
  • MattFalle
    Even the cranks are a bit hacking to tell the truth but until he tracks down something groovy in tbe stupid BB size he's stuck with them.....
  • flasher
    MattFalle said:

He ran a 6700 front mech on his S3 for a whole with no problems so this route is recommended. Looks nice, don't have the stupid plastic cover to lose, easier to set up .....

• MattFalle
    Yes - 6700 not 8000 and its no longer there.
  • MattFalle
    Essentially the post was to say don't get hung up if you can't get an 8000 one as you aren't missing out on anything.

• flasher
    MattFalle said:

Essentially the post was to say don't get hung up if you can't get an 8000 one as you aren't missing out on anything.

And that's where I (and the near 50 5* reviews on both Wiggle and Merlin) disagree with you, the new front mech system is a game changer, more complex to set up initially but once set up it works amazingly well.
  • MattFalle
    Its great until you try something better which it seems you haven't.
  • MattFalle
    105 gets 34 5* reviews
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Bizarrely Dura Ace, Potenza, Chorus all get 5* reviews as well.

Surely not everyone can be right?

Surely not all of them are game changers?

Or are they all basically the same as its just, well, a frontmech?

THE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW

In all seriousness though, Ultegra is great for a winter or training bike as you don't mind if you smash it up or forget to clean it for a few weeks. The hood and lever shapes make it cacky for anything serious though.

#gamechanger
    #clubbiemarketing
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    GRX also gets 5*s

Force gets 9 5*s at Wiggle
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    MF, you can't just use any front derailleur with any shifter as you stated earlier. Your combo of 8000 shifters with a 6700 front derailleur isn't even recommended as compatible!
    Your opinion of ultegra only being suitable for a winter bike is bonkers! How can it be great in winter but "cacky for anything serious"

#largepinchofsalt
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    flasher said:

MattFalle said:

#verystrange

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-fd-r8000-front-derailleur-11-speed-102883.html

ilRagno said:

" tried the whole drivetrain, this is the diamond in groupset. It's like having an 800 pound gorilla move the chain into the big ring, just so close to effortless....makes my Dura Ace 9000 look pathetic. Highly recommended.

Mr Foulds said:

I hate front derailleurs because I always have to spend too much time and frustration fiddling around with them to get them set up just right, this FD is however a true blessing and makes the process much easier!

ultegra is shite compared to other options, its not the same as Dura Ace. MF is right thats just clubbie hype feeding on marketing bollox. Mind you most lycra wearing fuckwit clubbies round here believe anything. never met a bigger bunch of cnts
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    Tis the season of goodwill.
  • MattFalle
    david37 said:

flasher said:

MattFalle said:

#verystrange

ilRagno said:

Mr Foulds said:

ultegra is shite compared to other options, its not the same as Dura Ace. MF is right thats just clubbie hype feeding on marketing bollox. Mind you most lycra wearing fuckwit clubbies round here believe anything. never met a bigger bunch of cnts
    This.

Chapeau.