SPOTY 2017

123457»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited December 2020
    elbowloh said:

What trophy did Rice or England lift in 2020?

None. But how many times have Premiership winning captains been nominated before? Zero. That's how many. He's not even Liverpool's best English player.

My original point was the nominations were pretty weak this year (for obvious reasons). I would have probably nominated him. I'm just glad they didn't nominate Andy Murray for finishing a tennis match.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    mrb123 said:

They should really return to just playing a piece of music over the piece about the sportspeople who have died during the year.

The D-list pop star warbling over it really detracts from it and feels a bit disrespectful.

Celeste is the BBC 2020 rising artist if the year so not really D list at all.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    RichN95. said:

elbowloh said:

What trophy did Rice or England lift in 2020?

None. But how many times have Premiership winning captains been nominated before? Zero. That's how many. He's not even Liverpool's best English player.

My original point was the nominations were pretty weak this year (for obvious reasons). I would have probably nominated him. I'm just glad they didn't nominate Andy Murray for finishing a tennis match.
    SPOTY has been a joke since they gave it to Giggs just because his career was ending.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RichN95.

mrb123 said:

They should really return to just playing a piece of music over the piece about the sportspeople who have died during the year.

The D-list pop star warbling over it really detracts from it and feels a bit disrespectful.

I didn't watch the show but twitter suggests that particular section was done by Rick Astley
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Different section,

He wasnt bad tho
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tbf Celeste does seem to have improved since ditching Daphne. Would have been nice for Lineker to chuck a bottle of urine at her for old time's sake though...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    The choice of Celeste was probably at the request of our resident Bianchi fan and about as close as cycling got to being represented.
  • RichN95.
    edited December 2020

tbf Celeste does seem to have improved since ditching Daphne. Would have been nice for Lineker to chuck a bottle of urine at her for old time's sake though...

These days people talk about singers being 'brave' about opening up about their problems when they are promoting an album. But Daphne and Celeste finishing that set was the gutsiest thing I've seen in music.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

tbf Celeste does seem to have improved since ditching Daphne. Would have been nice for Lineker to chuck a bottle of urine at her for old time's sake though...

Perhaps it was fitting for the notable deaths section that she absolutely murdered that song.
  • carbonclem
    RichN95. said:

mrb123 said:

I didn't watch the show but twitter suggests that particular section was done by Rick Astley
    No, she sang over the obituries.

She isn't 'mega' famous or a semi glamour model and she is black so it pissed a lot off people off.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I don't know, just watched it, it's not really for me but maybe there is an audience for it.

I didn't mind Celeste singing over the list of people who have passed on but the rest of it just seemed like a non-event.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Have you all finished Netflix or something?

It's been a long time since SPOTY has been essential viewing, it had been attempted poetic voiceovers on a few clips of sport with a celebrity gameshow poll attached for a while before I gave up on it.

They used to actually review the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5oscO04mY
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Have you all finished Netflix or something?

It's been a long time since SPOTY has been essential viewing, it had been attempted poetic voiceovers on a few clips of sport with a celebrity gameshow poll attached for a while before I gave up on it.

I've now stopped watching it as well. The video clip is good and reminded me of how much better it used to be. Also, Dettori was considered eligible for the award, as it wasn't strictly a merit based award for Brits.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    It'd help if presenters

Have you all finished Netflix or something?

Is there a presenter anywhere near Des Lynam's quality these days ? Maybe Jeff Stelling is in the same mould.

They need to get back to picking presenters in the basis of their presenting skills rather than taking sports people and teaching them to read an autocue. Lineker is far from the worst but at best he's safe but forgettable. Alex Scott is another who I quite like as a pundit but seems to be being promoted beyond her skillset.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    edited December 2020

Is there a presenter anywhere near Des Lynam's quality these days ? Maybe Jeff Stelling is in the same mould.

Gary Imlach. I also rate Mark Chapman.
  • ddraver
    The best thing they could've done is to shrink the whole thing. Don't try and present it as a huge event -with a script to match - when it's just 4 of you in an empty studio. Make it a little like the thing Jack Whitehall did over Lockdown 1.0.

(fundamentally the problem has been the same for a decade or so though, which is the BBC don't have the rights to show any of the footage any more)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited December 2020
    ddraver said:

The best thing they could've done is to shrink the whole thing. Don't try and present it as a huge event -with a script to match - when it's just 4 of you in an empty studio. Make it a little like the thing Jack Whitehall did over Lockdown 1.0.

The BBC also seem to think that it is incredibly important and greatest accolade in sport. As though great sports people need the validation of Strictly voters. The constant tone of self importance turned me off.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

(fundamentally the problem has been the same for a decade or so though, which is the BBC don't have the rights to show any of the footage any more)

They can buy the rights, so I don't think that is the problem. I think they have just focused on bland things that actually don't appeal to viewers. When you look at the clip posted above, it was fun, but these days that isn't the focus.

• ddraver
    don't have/can't afford...same thing
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

don't have/can't afford...same thing

I just disagree. They have chosen to focus on other things.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

RichN95. said:

mrb123 said:

No, she sang over the obituries.

She isn't 'mega' famous or a semi glamour model and she is black so it pissed a lot off people off.
    I think you're reading too much into it. I didn't watch last night but the life music thing is a relatively recent inclusion at SPOTY and whilst SPOTY has always been about entertainment as much as sport over the last few years it has become more and more about the entertainment. Having musicians on stage is about the equivalent of having a Liverpool v Man Utd five aside match at the Brits, it's just a pointless gimmick with the main reason for being there, sport, taking more and more of a back seat.

Celeste is just the latest in a long line of performers the BBC have decided to promote to the point of over-exposure. Whether she's good or not is a matter of personal preference but as with others in this situation (in recent years I would say Lewis Capaldi, Jess Glynne, Dua Lipa) people probably get fed up of the sight and sound.
  • Emily Sande was their go-to 'artiste' for a couple of years - seemed to be used on everything
  • carbonclem
    I never quite got why they had a few previous winners on Zoom stand-by - it must have been a long couple of hours sitting there in case they called you in for some reason?
  • ddraver
    Did you notice that Gee was clearly watching something else on his phone... 😁
    - @ddraver