• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Will be quite amusing if Fury wins.
  • mrb123 said:

True, I might tune in towards the end.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    reading the first few pages was mega-confusing before I realised they were from 2017
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Man, I never realised how bald poor Lewis Hamilton is going.

Solidarity Brother!
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    edited December 2020
    mrb123 said:

Guess you might have seen him on Jonafon Woss last night - said his lawyers had written to the BBC to demand he was removed from the list, so yes, could be very interesting if he wins.
  • mrb123
    Tao slightly hard done by not to be shortlisted?

Would obviously never have won it but it's a fairly weak line up this year.
  • Dorset_Boy
    mrb123 said:

Totally agree, really bad that he was overlooked.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    TBF, Tao's win didn't really make a splash in the wider public eye, mainly because it wasn't in the TdF, which is the only race most non-cyclists know.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the nomination, just that I'm not surprised that he wasn't.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

Totally agree, really bad that he was overlooked.
    Maybe Ineos will get team of the year for that Giro performance!!
  • ddraver
    Cycling got its traditional coverage...

A 2 second flash of Pogacar on the podium and his name pronounced wrong.

What did you expect?
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    A cursory mention for Tao. Pretty poor really.
  • Fair play to the BBC, after years of messing about to try and find the worst possible edition of SPOTY they've somehow managed to lower the bar still further. Plenty of coverage of top-class walking around the garden - apparently British pensioners putting in a particularly strong appearance this year, along with a promising junior in the paralympic event - rather less actual sport, and most of that covered in tick-box fashion (including women's sport, FFS, so it's not even a case of being briefer to get a more representative list).
  • Yeah, I would have like to seen Tao on the list too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Fair play to the BBC, after years of messing about to try and find the worst possible edition of SPOTY they've somehow managed to lower the bar still further. Plenty of coverage of top-class walking around the garden - apparently British pensioners putting in a particularly strong appearance this year, along with a promising junior in the paralympic event - rather less actual sport, and most of that covered in tick-box fashion (including women's sport, FFS, so it's not even a case of being briefer to get a more representative list).

It's basically the Pride of Britain Awards these days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mrb123

Fair play to the BBC, after years of messing about to try and find the worst possible edition of SPOTY they've somehow managed to lower the bar still further. Plenty of coverage of top-class walking around the garden - apparently British pensioners putting in a particularly strong appearance this year, along with a promising junior in the paralympic event - rather less actual sport, and most of that covered in tick-box fashion (including women's sport, FFS, so it's not even a case of being briefer to get a more representative list).

Yeah, but Rick Astley was on...
  • Dorset_Boy
    So being Champs of England trumps being champs of England AND Europe.
    Utterly ridiculous.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Which of course means Klopp is also coach of the year, and Rob Baxter isn't even nominated?
    I'm certainly not an Exeter Chiefs fan but that's piss poor from the BBC.
  • RichN95.
    The nominees this year include a jockey not selected to ride in any of the classics, Declan Rice's England back up, a cricketer who dropped at the beginning of the season and a boxer who try to sue to get his nomination cancelled.
  • elbowloh
    RichN95. said:

The nominees this year include a jockey not selected to ride in any of the classics, Declan Rice's England back up, a cricketer who dropped at the beginning of the season and a boxer who try to sue to get his nomination cancelled.

Jordan Henderson played ahead of Rice when he wasn't injured and lifters Liverpool's first league title for 30 years. He also coordinated the PL players response to COVID.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    Fair enough...Lewis doesn't seem like too much of a bad guy
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    They should really return to just playing a piece of music over the piece about the sportspeople who have died during the year.

The D-list pop star warbling over it really detracts from it and feels a bit disrespectful.
  • RichN95.
    elbowloh said:

Jordan Henderson played ahead of Rice when he wasn't injured and lifters Liverpool's first league title for 30 years. He also coordinated the PL players response to COVID.

Rice started every competitive match for England in 2020
  • elbowloh
    edited December 2020
    RichN95. said:

elbowloh said:

Henderson missed many England games through injury. He was England player of the year in 2019.

Edit: actually I'm pretty sure Southgate has played them both together in a double pivot for the big games e.g Belgium
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    I await with interest, not as in 90s speak, David37's views on LH winning, wot wiv 'im not being a white bloke innat.
  • elbowloh
    edited December 2020
    orraloon said:

I await with interest, not as in 90s speak, David37's views on LH winning, wot wiv 'im not being a white bloke innat.

Well, he's half white, being mixed race.

All the best people are 😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RichN95.
    elbowloh said:

RichN95. said:

Henderson missed many England games through injury. He was England player of the year in 2019.

Edit: actually I'm pretty sure Southgate has played them both together in a double pivot for the big games e.g Belgium
    This isn't Sports Personality of 2019 though, is it. They have both started together. Henderson has also been on the bench.
  • elbowloh
    edited December 2020
    RichN95. said:

elbowloh said:

RichN95. said:

This isn't Sports Personality of 2019 though, is it. They have both started together. Henderson has also been on the bench.
    What trophy did Rice or England lift in 2020?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    mrb123 said:

To be fair, this year has had so much top quality sport it must have been a real struggle to pick the contenders and the events to cover on the highlights.

I didn't watch but I assume they had to cover all the parents doing Joe Wickes workouts as well as the aforementioned Captain Tom walk. Did they manage to fit in a tribute to the NHS as well?
  • ddraver
    edited December 2020
    Pross said:

I didn't watch but I assume they had to cover all the parents doing Joe Wickes workouts as well as the aforementioned Captain Tom walk. Did they manage to fit in a tribute to the NHS as well?

😁😁😁

2/3 ain't bad. Buy a lottery ticket!

(and they may well have done before I switched on...)
    - @ddraver