Anyone on here ever been in the Navy?

MattFalle
MattFalle Posts: 11,644
edited December 2020 in The cake stop
Just wondering if anyone on here has ever been in the Navy.

#intheNavy
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• My dad used to be
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    eye eye sailor
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited December 2020
    My Grandad joined 1917, did the 22yrs service, left the navy then got recalled about 6 months later so signed on for another stint of I think 16 years. FIL did 79 to about 2005 ish then transferred out to AIRprox board with the riffraff.
    Not me though....
    #seniorservice.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    edited December 2020
    No, but a part of me is tempted to see what someone as old as me could still do there...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Brother in law joined when he was 16 didn’t last till he was 18. Managed to get the tattoo though. However 3 of the guys he went through training with travelled 200 miles to his funeral 35 years later.
    There must be something about being in it.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2020
    Dad was in it since a graduate around 1975. Did his green beret at Lympstone then went to Greenwich then went to sea for extended stretches. Also trained as a helicopter pilot (and instructor), diver and a few others.

By all accounts had a fantastic time and retired about 10y ago.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    oxoman said:

You can apparently do a trial run to see if your up to it and if there interested or not.

MF's too far gone for that.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Sort of.
    11 years.
    Medically discharged.
    Why?
  • MattFalle
    Nosin' around for a change.

What ya do?
  • I was a Bootneck.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,397
    I worked with a guy who was in Navy sea mine disposal. The most haphazard and clumsy fecker you could ever meet. No wonder he was held together by metal. Dishonest c.unt too.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2020
    Cargobike said:

I was a Bootneck.

Who with? Am looking at them.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    Hmmm. Navy? Sun?
    Guarding Gib after 01/01/2021?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle said:

Cargobike said:

I was a Bootneck.

40 Commando.

What do you mean "you are looking at them"?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,443
    MattFalle said:

Cargobike said:

I was a Bootneck.

Defecting? Being drawn by the bright lights of Somerset over the backwaters of Brecon?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Mate of mine was in the US Navy. On a nuclear submarine. Retired mid-40s on a good deal, now does a steady job to save from getting bored.

Not sure I could hack it on a sub', but retiring mid-40s is something I could tolerate!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Bright lights of Somerset? :lol:

Dullest place I've ever had the misfortune to live.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    When I was younger, in W Scotland and played hockey, when matched against Helensburgh one never knew what to expect. Sometimes their side was packed with snow white blokes (being descriptive here not racist) who had been sprung from months in captivity after their ship came in.

Also had a windsurfing buddy who claimed to surfed the bow wave of a submarine moving down the Firth of Clyde.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    Ben6899 said:

Mate of mine was in the US Navy. On a nuclear submarine. Retired mid-40s on a good deal, now does a steady job to save from getting bored.

Not sure I could hack it on a sub', but retiring mid-40s is something I could tolerate!

I met someone who joined the army at 16 and was eligible for a full pension in this late thirties when I met him. Indexed linked from 45. He lived in subsidised accommodation and spent his time in subsidised bars. It's probably the only time I was jealous of the someone in the forces.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    edited December 2020
    Ben6899 said:

I retired for a few years at 42 having sold a business for a sizeable chunk of money.
    While it was great to get off the treadmill boredom soon set in.

Spending more and more time in the pub certainly wasn't the answer, although for the first 6 months or so, I had great fun, but I would have been homeless by now if I had kept on that road.

The grass isn't always greener.....

As for submarines, only ever went on one the once. Not my cup of tea, far too claustrophobic.

• Cargobike said:

Ben6899 said:

I retired for a few years at 42 having sold a business for a sizeable chunk of money.
    While it was great to get off the treadmill boredom soon set in.

Spending more and more time in the pub certainly wasn't the answer, although for the first 6 months or so, I had great fun, but I would have been homeless by now if I had kept on that road.

The grass isn't always greener.....

As for submarines, only ever went on one the once. Not my cup of tea, far too claustrophobic.

I know a fighter pilot who retired in his mid-40s, got bored and became a commercial airline pilot, he describes this as even more boring and will be retiring again and will pursue his interest in battlefield tours.
  • A big majority of ex military pilots, fixed or rotary, go straight to commercial.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    orraloon said:

When I was younger, in W Scotland and played hockey, when matched against Helensburgh one never knew what to expect. Sometimes their side was packed with snow white blokes (being descriptive here not racist) who had been sprung from months in captivity after their ship came in.

Also had a windsurfing buddy who claimed to surfed the bow wave of a submarine moving down the Firth of Clyde.

Used to go sea fishing off a car park somewhere near Greenock and sometimes saw the submarines going by . OK not quite as exciting as surfing the bow wave.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,515

Defecting? Being drawn by the bright lights of Somerset over the backwaters of Brecon?

Brecon's not a backwater, it's a passed over former noteworthy destination with continued belief that it's still what it used to be. Unless a backwater is stagnant, in which case you're right ;)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667

orraloon said:

Used to go sea fishing off a car park somewhere near Greenock and sometimes saw the submarines going by . OK not quite as exciting as surfing the bow wave.
    Lived in Largs for a while, which is where I learned to windsurf. Brave enough to go over to Cumbrae but my nutter pal would go round the west side of the island into the main channel. I recall his playing with the sub's bow wave was further up near Wemyss Bay. Often saw transiting submarines, on surface of course, when driving over the hill from Kilbirnie down to Largs.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Used to see a lot coming in/out of Plymouth while I was sailing.

They're really very sinister. Silent too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • A big majority of ex military pilots, fixed or rotary, go straight to commercial.

My dad went ex military ship / helicopter pilot to flying for a medial charity in Borneo and when he was too old to have his license renewed he is now an instructor again.
  • MattFalle said:

Cargobike said:

I was a Bootneck.

So who else are you considering should receive your physical and mental might?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    Cargobike said:

MattFalle said:

Cargobike said:

I was a Bootneck.

So who else are you considering should receive your physical and mental might?
    He could have one MF in each service then move the others over when he decides which one is best