Bike-Fit Question

Hello !!

I have yet to undergo a Bike-Fit and am considering one even though I will not have access to the more advanced versions of it, ie computerized etc. ( Perhaps the advance version is not even required ? )

I remain hesitant for I don't know how well informed/experienced Bike-Shop Staff are where I reside regarding "all things Bike-Fit". ( State this based on my initial interactions with the staff from two Bike-Shops ).

None-the-less, my question :
How does one translate the findings of a Bike-Fit to a bike of ones choice ? This becomes a bit challenging as the Brand of the bike I plan on purchasing is not represented in India and will have to be imported.

To arrive at some understanding, I plan on test-riding bikes from a competing Brand/s and will then need to extrapolate from there on in. It is this translation I refer to as each Brand and each of their Models will maintain different geometries.

At this point, my aim is to make sure I order a bike with the correct Crank Length, Stem Length, Handlebar Width and of course the Frame Size.

I believe if I get the above right, the other main variables of positioning of the saddle ( fore-aft and height ), arriving at the correct number of Spacers under the Handlebar and Shoe-Cleat position will be easier achieved.

Any thoughts on how I can achieve this translation ?

Thanks in advance,

Jai

Comments

• Hi Jai.

I assume you are the same Jai who was asking about Tredz Cycles last month?

I think you are clutching at straws thinking you can get the exact measurements for your bike purchase in advance, especially if you plan to import.

There will be a worldwide shortage of bikes next year, such has been the demand due to the pandemic. Manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand and there is every reason to believe that demand will only continue to grow throughout 2021.

My advice would be to get the correct sized frame based upon your height. The crank arms, stem etc will be there or thereabouts to match your requirements, but if you do have to change parts you are only needing to adjust individual items one at a time.

Unless you are going for a bespoke build, or buying the frame and components seperately I can't imagine many manufacturers or bike retailers wasting their time trying to meet your exacting demands.

Save yourself the hassle and buy a bike that fits and then worry about getting the specific details right thereafter.
  • Get a bike that's close enough then adjust it. Buy the pretty one, they are all pretty much the same.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    What are you riding at the moment, can you not base some of the measurements from how your current bike feels.
  • j_vora
    j_vora Posts: 63
    Hello webboo & darkhairedlord :

Unfortunately, getting back to cycling after a VERY long gap and have no bike of my own at present to refer to -

Will mostly have to test-ride at a bike-shop and translate it to the new bike and also incorporate the info from a Bike-Fit.

Thanks !

• j_vora
    Hello :

A extension to my opening post -

Would a 10mm +/- difference in Stack or Reach ( or both ) between bike models ( say an Orbea and a BMC, both Road/Racing frames ) make a big difference in ride-comfort ? Would that sort of difference be enough for one to feel "stretched" and uncomfortable ?

Anyone that can share based on their experience ?

Thanks,

Jai
  • webboo
    If you’ve not ridden for a long time, just riding again will feel uncomfortable. You seem to over thinking this. I also I personally would not buy an Orbea off the internet. Their warranty service is terrible even through a shop.
  • j_vora
    edited December 2020
    Hello webboo :

Perhaps some overthinking - Only that once the bike is imported to India, it will be close to impossible to return it thus am being as careful as I possibly can to make sure I select the correct components ( size-wise ) that will fit me optimally.

I also agree that initially I will feel a level of discomfort, but I hope by selecting the optimal sized components, overtime my body will get accustomed to the bike position making the ride comfortable and enjoyable.

What I am trying to avoid is ordering a bike with incorrect sized components where-by even over time my body will be unable to adjust to it.

Thanks.

Jai

• webboo
    The frame size is more important than the components. Although you say you have ridden before from what you are asking it appears you have not a great deal of experience. You should buy a cheapish second hand bike in what you believe is your size, ride that. Then buy your expensive internet bike based on that.
  • j_vora
    webboo said:

The frame size is more important than the components. Although you say you have ridden before from what you are asking it appears you have not a great deal of experience. You should buy a cheapish second hand bike in what you believe is your size, ride that. Then buy your expensive internet bike based on that.

Arriving at the right Frame Size is something I am confident of achieving - But am trying to "nail" the finesse part of the bike-fit in selecting the correct size of components for an optimal match.

As mentioned, its been a while since I have ridden and I do have that experience, but since then a fair amount has evolved with how bikes are measured and the multitude of options that are now available - The reason I posed my question on this platform is to gain insights from experienced cyclists willing to share their perspective and knowledge.

Jai
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Hi Jai

If you are confident of getting the right sized frame (and I hope you don’t just mean by following the manufacturers size guide alone) then buy the frame.

What makes the biggest difference when considering sizing is stack and reach. If you have nothing to work from, it is going to be hard to compare across brands. If you reckon you can get the ‘correct’ frame size, do you understand the different stack and reach measurements for the same ‘size’ frame?

I ask because you can get the same size frame (which is not the same ‘number’ from manufacturer to manufacturer), with completely different characteristics - a talker head tube will generally give a higher stack height. You will only be able to put the stem ‘so low’ before you are at the limit. A lower stack height means you would be able to get the stem (and therefore bars) lower than that. Depends how low you want your ride position to be. How flexible are you? You may be much more flexible and want a lower position within a year or so of getting back in the saddle. If you get a taller head tube, you would then have to buy negative rise stem etc to lower...

Reach is dictated by top tube length to start with and then stem length. Once again, the same ‘size’ frame may have a shorter or longer top tube, which means adjusting your reach could be limited by stem length. You can only go so short on a stem before it starts adversely effecting handling. You can get shorter and longer reach handlebars which then also affects your actual reach to the hoods, and different ‘drop’ heights for the bars too.

It is all quite complicated. My advice, as someone else said above, is to buy a cheap bike that you think fits you, ride and ride and ride it to the point that you can then know ‘I need a greater drop to the bars’ or ‘I am over-reaching, I need to get the bars closer to me’ etc etc. Then you can work out stack and reach measurements for the frame of your choice, and choice of components that will achieve your ideal (dialled in after gaining flexibility and fitness) position.

All depends how serious you want to take it....

PP
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Arriving at the right Frame Size is something I am confident of achieving - But am trying to "nail" the finesse part of the bike-fit in selecting the correct size of components for an optimal match.

As mentioned, its been a while since I have ridden and I do have that experience, but since then a fair amount has evolved with how bikes are measured and the multitude of options that are now available - The reason I posed my question on this platform is to gain insights from experienced cyclists willing to share their perspective and knowledge.

Jai
    Bikes are still measured in the same way they always were. Sure, there are now stack and reach quoted, and there are some odd devotees of this method, but if you have a sizing that used to work for you, use it now. Strangely these devotees often also say how complicated it all is and that you should get a professional bike fit. I can't abide the advice you are getting to do one or other or both of buying a cheap mule and a bike fit.

Stack is moderately useful as an alternative way to judge how low your bars will end up, reach I just don't see the benefit of. I and many others have no problem sizing a frame based on effective c-c top tube. In the old days, this was just the top tube measurement, which, in the old days, was the same as the seat tube measurement in most cases.

In the old days, a bike was a simple thing and you could just buy one. Strip technobabble away and they are still relatively simple things that you can just buy.

There is some merit, if you are just getting back into cycling for the first time in a while, to not investing a huge amount - just in case you don't enjoy it, or find that your extra decade(s) uncover some issues you weren't aware of. But that's just common sense.

You will still have some adjustment available in a new bike - by moving spacers around above/below the stem. The seat post and saddle can also be moved up/down/back/forward. This should tell you where your preferred position is, and worst case scenario, assuming you have the right frame size, is that you end up needing a new stem to achieve that position. Less likely, you might opt for a straight seatpost rather than a layback post, or even shorter reach bars. But these parts should be cheaper than either a full bike fit or a temporary bike.

If you are able to go to a bike shop and order through them, or try out some modern bikes, it might settle your mind though. And also obviate the need for an expensive bike fit that won't be a magic bullet anyway.

• D.beck
    D.beck Posts: 11
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Good luck with that lol.
    Jai
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Jai
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Jai
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Jai
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    D.beck said:

j_vora said:

webboo said:

Good luck with that lol.
    Jai
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Jai
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Jai
    j_vora said:

webboo said:

Jai
    D.Beck did you mean to post the above?

#curiosity
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.