Repair dead Di2 rear mech

shirley_basso
shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
edited December 2020 in Workshop
My ultegra 6870 Di2 rear mech died for an unknown reason (well, I crashed, but it worked fine after that, then died a week later).

Took it to the lbs who did a load of checks and tests, new cables, try on another system etc but didn't work.

Bought a new one which works fine and took the old one home.

Does anyone know if a shop / online person / anyone here who's an electronics whizz is able to dismantle and repair them? I've got nothing to lose, but would be good to have a spare / recoup some costs if I could sell it on in working order.

Cheers

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    From the lack of responses it seems like there is only one course of action......

#smashughammerugfireugthrow
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    MattFalle said:

From the lack of responses it seems like there is only one course of action......

#smashughammerugfireugthrow

That'll teach him for cheaping out and buying ultegra :D
  • Didn't feel like that when I had to buy a new one!
  • Sorry.. I don't know how to fix these - if you're taking it apart I'd love a video though ;)
    I run BetterShifting.com - Di2 help / tips / guides
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Didn't feel like that when I had to buy a new one!

You can sell it on Ebay as parts. someone will buy it and then youve got something towards the cost of the new one. I sell stuff like that all the time and am perfectly upfront about its status and it amazes me what people will buy.

• I think all you can really do is change the springs... and that's about it. There isn't much you can repair with these.

Does it not work at all, or does it make a ticking noise when trying to shift for example?
    I run BetterShifting.com - Di2 help / tips / guides
  • shirley_basso
    Thanks Terry - foolishly I hadn't realised you had posted on here before.

It's completely dead.

What's odd is that after my off, I got back on and rode home with no issues. I put the bike away and then a week later, put it on charge for another ride, but it had died.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2021
    This kid rips one apart, although not in a way that he could ever put it back together! Shows the internals though...

https://youtu.be/DsPko9ih0JE

What diagnostics did the bike shop do? Any particular error codes?
  • shirley_basso
    Thanks PP.

As for mine - it didn't even show up on the computer - as if it wasn't plugged in.
  • pilot_pete

Thanks PP.

As for mine - it didn't even show up on the computer - as if it wasn't plugged in.

Sounds like the power supply isn’t even getting to it...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    How come nobody has suggested turning it off and on again? Thought that was the standard answer for this sort of thing.
  • pilot_pete
    CTRL, ALT, DELETE surely? ;)