Spin Bike

Hi all,

I've just picked up a second hand spin bike for Tashwife to use and was interested if anyone here ever uses one as an alternative to faffing setting the Turbo up.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    I've used spin bikes in gyms. I have a smart turbo.
    I'll never use spin bikes again. Set up a permanent turbo where you'd set up the spin bike, no faff. If you are moving a spin bike then that will be faff anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    pblakeney said:

I've used spin bikes in gyms. I have a smart turbo.
    I'll never use spin bikes again. Set up a permanent turbo where you'd set up the spin bike, no faff. If you are moving a spin bike then that will be faff anyway.

I have a dumb turbo, but would need to get a 2nd bike to make it as simple as you suggest.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    According to FB, most spin bikes end up as clothes hangers. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Yes for me it makes perfect sense.

1. I don't do many turbo miles , so spending money on a top notch swift set up can't be justified.
    2. I can have the spin bike in the bed room, theres no chance of oil on the carpet.
    3. My spin bike was £200 - I don't get oodles of data feedback , but I just jump on it may load a YouTube spin vid , I'm up and running
    4. Ymmv but I found budget smart turbos a real faff - even worse if you have load your bike on synch all the devices, calibrate the wheel etc

So yes I would say if you just want to use your indoor training to keep you're weight down , and retain some fitness when you can't get out - spin bikes a good option.

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited December 2020
    We bought a virtually unused spin bike a few years ago after spotting it advertised in the window of our village shop for £50. My wife wanted one for safe rehabilitation exercise after breaking her ankle. We have it installed in our conservatory and it’s a great way to get some exercise if the weather is bad outside. I ride to GCN YouTube training videos on our iPad and get enough data for my purposes from my Garmin Forerunner watch.