Turbo Training Videos

I am not following a specific training plan for my riding. Having said that I am averaging 100 - 130 miles per week, mainly commuting with weekend ride(s) plus 1 or 2 turbo sessions. With riding being restricted I took seriously to turbo riding - more than when I was serious about racing (5+ years ago), and now enjoy this side to my cycling.
My main accompaniment during indoor sessions is, for steady sessions, youtube race videos, whilst for harder sessions I mostly use GCN training videos that I download using 4k Videodownloader.
I've not done huge research on alternative training videos - I've a couple of old Sufferfest ones I paid for years ago and I've seen the CTXC ones but I'd appreciate pointers to others.
What I enjoy about the GCN ones is the direction from the onscreen participant/director additional to the visuals, telling you the cadence, effort level etc. CTXC and Sufferfest for example don't seem to have this - just having something in my ear to distract me from the, eg 2 minutes max effort, helps my motivation.

TIA

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Indoor training has moved on.
  • What sort of turbo do you have? The erg mode makes keeping to an effort much more straightforward.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    My turbo is just a "dumb" one - Kurt Kinetic fluid. I'm certainly attracted to some sort of smart one but the price at the moment is an obstacle tbh. Cant see me acquiring one in the next few of months but slightly further into the future I may well see if I can pick one up.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    As dorsetboy says, things seem to have moved on.

However if you want rlv videos (tacx format) there are some you can torrent from my website: www.wattzap.com

and you can use wattzap to play them back and link to your ANT+ sensors for speed, power, cadence, hr etc. You can even use the GCN videos and load up one of the training programmes.

and I've just tested it all on a 50 quid raspberry pi

https://youtu.be/CsnG21Dx9cU
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • andyrr
    Cheers David, I'll take a look at this - currently I don't even have a speed or cadence sensor fitted but I've a speed one coming so that will move me out of the 20th Century a bit.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    edited January 2021
    GCN have a dedicated youtube channel with videos

www.youtube.com/GCNTraining​
  • andyrr
    dannbodge said:

GCN have a dedicated youtube channel with videos

www.youtube.com/GCNTraining​

Thanks, I've used a fair number of their videos both older and these newer ones too.
  • I used to be in a similar position a few years ago and used the GCN videos as a basis for my winter training. To be honest, I don't think they're all that bad and if you're having to work within the confinements of your curret setup, they're more than adequate. A lot of their vids seem to be based around perceived effort and cadence. Nothing wrong with that and at the end of the day, if you come off the turbo feeling like you've had a tough session (and that's what you wanted from it) then I don't see an issue with that. If you are looking to enhance your training then yes, I think you might need to adapt and look at some alternatives. The suggestion by Davidof up above would be a good route to explore...
  • andyrr

... if you come off the turbo feeling like you've had a tough session (and that's what you wanted from it) then I don't see an issue with that. If you are looking to enhance your training then yes, I think you might need to adapt and look at some alternatives. ...

Y, in reality this is what I'm at, at the moment. I've not got racing to really focus on so I don't find that I have a real serious purpose to target and think about how each ride can target specific aspects.
    I may see if I can target an event or something later in the year and then build a plan with this in mind and Zwift or similar will, I feel, be beneficial for motivation and structure.