Bike with no dealer support

Hello :

Would you purchase a bike if there was no authorized dealer support in your country ?

How important is the support a dealer provides ?

Post purchase, how often have you had to reach out to the dealer for support, specially parts and supplies ?

Kindly share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jai

Comments

• The only time I needed a dealer (Madison for a Genesis) they were useless and could not provide the spare part needed. Eventually they offered a voucher instead, which didn't even amount to what was needed to purchase a similar spare elsewhere.

left the forum March 2023
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    For pretty much all spare parts etc you don't need to go through a dealer. You can just buy them from any bike shop that sells them.
  • All my bikes have bee second hand so largely irrelevant.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    j_vora said:

Post purchase, how often have you had to reach out to the dealer for support, specially parts and supplies ?

I've ordered special replacement parts for my bike through the dealers (bike shops). Once they knew which part I needed it was pretty straightforward, they ordered it from the distributor and it came pretty quickly.

If there hadn't been a dealer, I would have managed somehow but it made things easier for me.

• j_vora
    j_vora Posts: 63
    Thank you all for your replies -

Thus far from what I gather its not a "horrible" idea purchasing a bike for which there is no dealer support in the country one lives - And that there are ways to get around the hurdle it may cause in the event one needs parts/spares - And easier ( hopefully ) if there is a dealer, correct ?

Thanks !

Jai
  • Having had to get warranty replacement on two previous bikes due to defects, having a dealer to take care of this (in the form of the LBS I purchased from) makes it much easier than dealing directly with the manufacturer. It also saves huge time and effort on returning the physical bike to be checked and the warranty replacement carried out.

If you are confident that the company you are purchasing from will be able to assist you with any potential issues with the bike itself then go ahead, if not I would look at another brand with a local dealer.
  • j_vora
    j_vora Posts: 63
    edited December 2020
    Your above quote :

"If you are confident that the company you are purchasing from will be able to assist you with any potential issues with the bike itself then go ahead, if not I would look at another brand with a local dealer." is an important key to consider."

Is an important point to keep in mind.

Thanks for the practical & valid perspective.

Jai
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    real issue is when your brand doesnt stock/discontinues a product. A D shaped seat post in a certain diameter or a wheel set that is no longer supported (Roval did this). Colnago had seatpost diameters particular to them back in the day
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    amrushton said:

real issue is when your brand doesnt stock/discontinues a product. A D shaped seat post in a certain diameter or a wheel set that is no longer supported (Roval did this). Colnago had seatpost diameters particular to them back in the day

This exactly - look at the recent shenanigans on here re some dude and a Planet X seatpost.

Not buying a bike from a dealer isn’t a problem - the MFs haven’t done so in years. Any bits and bobs need doing, they do themselves, anything they can’t do/can’t be bothered to do they pull in a favour off someone.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • amrushton said:

This exactly - look at the recent shenanigans on here re some dude and a Planet X seatpost.

Not buying a bike from a dealer isn’t a problem - the MFs haven’t done so in years. Any bits and bobs need doing, they do themselves, anything they can’t do/can’t be bothered to do they pull in a favour off someone.

I have the same problem on Wibble. The headset bottom bearing is a weird variation of 1 1/2" and Wibble don't stock it any more. A royal pain in the arris to get the right one, but got there in the end!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Only place i could get a replacement hanger that fitted my bike was from the importer (for a Felt). Couldn't source it anywhere else.
    Other than that, never needed the support from the dealer nor a retailer.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Older stuff is also a ‘mare tbh - getting bits for the MFs Soloist (silly little cable clips that go into the frame involved ordering from the US, getting them sent to one of TDV’s mate’s then getting them sent on).
  • MattFalle said:

Older stuff is also a ‘mare tbh - getting bits for the MFs Soloist (silly little cable clips that go into the frame involved ordering from the US, getting them sent to one of TDV’s mate’s then getting them sent on).

ha hha ha ...... The MF's are back, with a hillman avengence...
  • MattFalle
    yes, he has returned. it seemed a bit, well, dry around here, so he's popped in for a while.