Other sports worth following

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    Jerome Beyou (Charal) will be restarting tomorrow with some 3000NM deficit.

Hats off to him as there's no way he's closing a day 10 deficit. As if the race isn't hard enough, being at the back in the fastest boat with no hope of winning has got to be horrendously demoralising.
  • Every competitor in the Vendee Globe is a winner in my book regardless of whether they finish first or last. The VG is one of the last true test of human character and perseverance these days.

That Beyou is still willing to compete in the race knowing that any chance of winning is beyond miniscule says far more about the man than our feted professionals in the majority of sports we all follow.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited November 2020
    This guy is quite good at explaining everything going on. It is just a man at his desk so don't expect anything fancy, but the dude knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=835oMAvAfGg&ab_channel=Seawolves
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Cargobike said:

That Beyou is still willing to compete in the race knowing that any chance of winning is beyond miniscule says far more about the man than our feted professionals in the majority of sports we all follow.

A lot of cool photos and vlogs with sponsor names in the background still need taking...

- @ddraver
  • Plus the 24h record is up for grabs (held by AT from 2016/17 edition)
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Cargobike said:

Every competitor in the Vendee Globe is a winner in my book regardless of whether they finish first or last. The VG is one of the last true test of human character and perseverance these days.

More people have been dragged up Everest by Sherpas than have sailed round the world unaided.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    More people have been into space (550)

As I understand it, less than 200 people have sailed around the world single handed, non stop.

Everest is over 4,000
  • Pretty horrendous news today.

Alex has structural damage to his boat, unsure how caused.

We do know his boat was flattened when he went through the centre of storm Theta but apparently not linked.

He's slowed the boat right down and is undertaking repairs himself.

The main question is will the repair be as strong as it should have been / better than new, as he's gonna need to sail the life out of the boat to make up the ground and overtake the leaders.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    NFL redzone is on and around 9pm onwards is the ‘witching hour’ ie the final quarter for the main slate of games
  • Well excellent news the repairs are starting and he's put up some sail. Another 24h before it's all fully reinforced no so far he's only lost 500NM to the leaders.

He had been going a few knots slower than the others before the damage was announced so I wonder if that's the reason as his team kept saying there was more performance to come.

Here's hoping. Fortunately they are all bobbing around in no wind which means easy for repairs and competitors can't disappear.

Jean Le Cam in his non foiler Still third
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Looking at the damage it appears to me that despite any onboard repairs / reinforcement the the problem will be terminal. For the yacht structure to be in that state after two weeks the design has to be flawed.
  • lesfirth said:

Looking at the damage it appears to me that despite any onboard repairs / reinforcement the the problem will be terminal. For the yacht structure to be in that state after two weeks the design has to be flawed.

surely he would not even contemplate going into the Southern Ocean unless he was 100% confident in the structural integrity?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

lesfirth said:

surely he would not even contemplate going into the Southern Ocean unless he was 100% confident in the structural integrity?
    You are using common sense. Anyone who enters this race has to be a bit short of that.
  • He is absolutely mental but does have a wife and kids and having had his fair share of mishaps isn't stupid.
  • Finished boat repairs and now broken a rudder. Ffs

Concurrently there are 2 jules Verne trophy attempts (fastest non stop round the world but crewer). The boats are 100ft foiling trimarans.

The maxi Edmund De Rothschild is racing Sodebo 3.

Both boats are ahead of the record. I think sodebo 3 is ahead of Edmund but it did also set off 30 mins earlier.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    I think Alex's chances of winning are now gone. He is going to lose big miles when he drops off the back of the front. Even podium now looks good. Sad to see.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Killian Jornet attempted to beat the 24 hour record for running yesterday which dates back to 1985 (303.5km!) but had to drop out due to dizziness after 11 hours having clocked up 134km. Not sure if the dizziness was due health issues or just from constant lapping of a 400m track which must be quite and alien environment for someone who is usually running mountain ultras.
  • Alex Thomson has called it a day, heading for Cape Town and withdrawing. Though that's a good 1,600 miles of sailing away.
  • Can't repair rudders sadly.
    See him in 4y I hope.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Pross said:

Killian Jornet attempted to beat the 24 hour record for running yesterday which dates back to 1985 (303.5km!) but had to drop out due to dizziness after 11 hours having clocked up 134km. Not sure if the dizziness was due health issues or just from constant lapping of a 400m track which must be quite and alien environment for someone who is usually running mountain ultras.

Running a Milan San Remo does sound a bit bonkers, but I suppose quite a few people manage the Western States 100 (miles) which is over rugged terrain, and the record is around 14 hours.
  • ddraver
    They might consider building Hugo Boss a bit stronger next time...

Surprised Killian only managed 11 hours. It's barely round the block for him.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    ddraver said:

They might consider building Hugo Boss a bit stronger next time...

Surprised Killian only managed 11 hours. It's barely round the block for him.

I'm wondering if attempting it on a 400m track might not have suited him.
  • ddraver
    edited November 2020
    My knowledge of this isn't great but I thought that was part of it. The sheer mindfuckery of running round and round on small circles for the length of time is its own challenge
    - @ddraver
    See him in 4y I hope.

Quite an emotional upload confirming his retirement.
    See him in 4y I hope.

Quite an emotional upload confirming his retirement.
    Yeah, gutted. I do feel for him, especially after all that work, night after night doing the repairs he's had to do
    At least he's in once piece and can come back to fight another day. Though he won't feel like that right now.

Some drama going on with PRB, Kevin Escoffier's taken to his liferaft
  • Indeed. I think Jean Le cam us currently very closeby with engine running but 3 other boards have been redirected his way.
  • ddraver
    Getting a bad feeling about these new boats...They've not even got to the dangerous bit yet and lost two. Not sure all the strength calculations are correct...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross said:

3:20 Marathon pace for 24 hours. Eek.
  • So PRB sank after folding in half after being struck by a wave I think. Despite an extra 200kg reinforcing carbon.

Successfully rescued by Jean Le Cam at 2am this morning.

Incidentally when Jean Le Cam sank in 2008-9 edition it was PRB who rescued him. (same title sponsor, different skipper).

I think the attrition rate is about normal. It's just more, better and more immediate reporting. This is the only dangerous incident so far.
  • I assume this means le Cam is out as well?