Full sus or stick with hardtail

mattfozz27
mattfozz27 Posts: 3
edited November 2020 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

Hope your all good. I know these seems like a repeated question but there is a little more to it

I've had a Cube Ltd 2013 hardtail for about 5 years but not really used it that much until recently as I've been out of the country a lot the past 4 years.

Been suffering with a herniated disc in my lower back for a couple of years and my osteopath has suggested it would be better for me to have a full suspension bike to take the pressure of my back if I want to get into riding more

I've done a few red trails recently around cannock chase with a friend and did enjoy them, although i do struggle going back up all the time (lack of fitness i guess).

I work on my core strength and do exercises etc, but im still always a little hesitant on some smaller jumps in regards to speed and height before landing, and feel I dont enjoy the ride as much sometimes through fear of making my back hurt too much.

Its not an immediate thing that I need to buy as the weather is going to be pretty rubbish through winter, but looking ahead if I did go for a full sus it would have to be 2nd hand more than likely, but I can budget around 1k for one.

I'm 5'10 and weight 83kg.

Are there any particular brands i should look into more that would fit in my price range, and yes I know the prices are a bit inflated right now with covid, hence me holding out for a bit.

Appreciate the help

Matt

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If I had a herniated disc, I certainly would not be doing jumps, not even on a FS!

I haven't checked recent prices but you can get a brand new FS for about a grand, but personally I would prefer to spend the same amount on a used FS because you will get a MUCH better bike. Fr sure you need to know what to look for to avoid buying a lemon, but get help from someone who knows what they are looking for.

A huge amount of new bikes were bought during Lockdown1 and when stocks ran out the pressure shifted to the used market and prices rose. But I believe that as financial pressure mounts, the threat of redundancy increases, and the weather gets worse, then many bikes will appear for sale on the used market. Prices will fall, so if you get your timing right you may get a bargain. Be patient.

While you are waiting, or maybe simply as an alterative to a full suss you may wish to consider buying a suspension seatpost. They will take the sting out of the bumpy trail.
  • Thanks. I did look into the suspension seatpost option. Just not sure if/how it would work with a dropper post already on.

I'm going to keep an eye on prices over the winter but was just wondering if there brands that stand out more than others that I should look into.

My osteopath said I'm ok doing some jumps just not big ones that have a bigger potential to get wrong.

Thanks
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    After a life time in the building trade and suffering plenty of back trouble " I had a 2 month stint in a rehab hospital " at 45 years old. I am now approaching 75 and have had a full sus Boardman for 4 years, I wouldn't have been able to continue on a hard tail. But I only ride forest trails and the Blue trail at Sherwood Pines .
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443

Thanks. I did look into the suspension seatpost option. Just not sure if/how it would work with a dropper post already on.

You cannot fit a suspension seat post if you already have a dropper post.