Voodoo hoodoo maximum tyre size

Hi, I have a voodoo hoodoo and I was wondering what tyre can I put on the bike. Its mostly for the back, since that tyre is more worn. I don't know what rim size it is, I can't find any information on the Internet. The exterior rim size is 30mm but the inside is smaller of course. The frame, on the bottom I have around 13mm-14mm on both sides. At the top I have around 14mm-15mm on both sides. I know a bigger tyre will be taller, so right now I have around 18mm clearance, top and bottom (not the sides, but the top on the tyre). My tyres are now 27.5x2.25 and I was planning to go for a 27.5x2.5 tyre, like Victoria mota 27.5x2.5.

On here https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schwalbe/userupload/Images/FAQ/reifen_felgen_2020/Reifen_Felgenkombinationen_EN.pdf

I saw you can put a 2.5in tyre on rims from minimum 21mm to 40mm rims.
Can you advise? Thanks

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I don't have a Voodoo Hoodoo, so I can't give you a size based upon personal experience. But I do urge you to take into account two thing before you fit a much wider tyre:
    1) The wheel and the frame flex while you are riding (particularly when cornering) and consequently the tyre comes closer to the frame. If they touch, the tyre can rapidly wear a groove in the frame.
    2) The tyre tread picks up small stones and carries them around to the brace connecting the seat stays and the chain stays. Those stones can inflict serious damage to the frame.

Therefore I recommend that you apply some protective bike tape to the areas of your frame where the tyre comes close to the frame, before you fit the larger tyre. Inspection of the tape will reveal any damage.
  • Right now I have 13-14mm clearance on both sides. If I put a 2.5in tyre, I'll have left a full centimeter, 10mm on both sides. Is not enough 10mm clearance?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Sounds enough, but my advice still stands.
  • Thanks. Anyone knows what rim size voodoo hoodoo has? I don't want to take the tyre off just to check yet.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2020
    There could be a sticker or number indication within the rim name?

If not going off a 30mm eternal width your looking around an average of a 25mm internal width.

As Steve rightly pointed out beware of the problems that can arise and decide why or if you have a valid reason for wanting to fit a wider tyre in the first place.