Winter MTB Boots

Hi all so my MT500 Overshoes have finally died as zip currently broken these have served me well over the years, although I am fed up of putting on and taking off. So I have decided to take the plunge and look for some winter boots and was hoping on your feedback on below.

1. I currently use overshoes for wet weather and winter, so they will get adhoc use throughout the year. Do you think winter boots are to warm for this I know quite a general question but any advice would be appreciated.
2. There seems to be loads of boots on the market but I really like the Specialized Defroster which has some good reviews - Any advice on this model or others would be great.
3. Shall I stop being a wimp and just get overshoes?

As always thanks for your support.
So Far!

Comments

• In wet and cold winter weather there is no such thing as too warm. By mid spring we forget just how cold hands and feet can get this time of year.

My Buddy only wears hiking boots for riding all year round so I reckon any pair of MTB/cycling specific boots will be a game changer compared to over shoes.

No judgement here, Wimp, nah! I'd strap a couple of hot water bottles to my feet if it was practical to stay warm through winter.
  • After several winters of thinking about some winter shoes, I finally bit the bullet and received a pair of fluro yellow £70 PlanetX Das Boot MTB boots today.

They look decent, yet to try them as I wasn't expecting my order until tomorrow and I actually got out for my first outdoor road bike ride in weeks this afternoon.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • In wet and cold winter weather there is no such thing as too warm. By mid spring we forget just how cold hands and feet can get this time of year. I could not agree more I totally forgot that my feet are normally always cold by end of ride.

Oxoman those raptor boots look awesome although I am certainly not a fan of the shoe horn but nothing can be worst than putting on those endura overshoes. I suppose wrong time of year but cant see any deals on your model.

Nobody I would interested to hear what those Planet X boots are like, I have found a retailer with I think 2016/2017 Model of defroster for under £100. I spoke with them today who also advise they come up big which I thought unusual but may try my size 41 if I go for them.

Thank you all

So Far!
  • The PX Das Boots were toasty while wearing them for a few minutes last night while watching tv, seeing how they felt for size... Unfortunately my toes quickly felt a bit "strangled" even wearing thin socks rather than my On One Thickies and I'm going to have to send them back and upsize to the EU 44s.
    I thought I was a safe 43 with ~27.3mm heel to big toe, but I think the boot's insulation makes my feet heat up and grow.
    First time sending anything back to PX having used them for 10+ years, looks like I print out a return form and get the boots back to them within 28 days, they give me a refund and I simply place a new order for the bigger size while covering the postage both ways.

Good looking set of grips on them and optional studs were attached to boots in a little bag. Fluro yellow was nice and vibrant. Lacing device was a bit quirky, pinching a little plastic thing to either losen or tighten the drawstrings, but I've not got anything like this to compare to.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I took a chance and have purchased these from old dealer stock, I spoke with shop who advised they are wide fitting so size should be true. Hopefully being so old will not affect them but had to try at the price, worst case scenario is I have to return at my cost. Then again they may not even arrive as coming with Hermes.

https://www.transitioncycles.co.uk/products/specialized-bikes-defroster
    So Far!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I got some Northwave boots a few years ago and while they were very warm, I eventually sold them and went back to good socks / warm shoes / overshoes.
    There were a few things, but the big one was the fact that I lost ankle mobility when wearing boots, and I never really liked that.
    You could try yourself by cycling in some normal boots (if you have some) before splashing the cash.
  • singleton said:

I got some Northwave boots a few years ago and while they were very warm, I eventually sold them and went back to good socks / warm shoes / overshoes.

I cant see me going back to this without a good try if current boot purchased is no good I will try something else overshoes although they work to some extent. Overall they dont offer much protection and the one thing that can kill my ride is freezing feet.

Fingers crossed it all works out.

So Far!
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    edited November 2020

Hi all just wanted to give a big shout out to https://www.transitioncycles.co.uk/ - Received these bad boys this morning which fit perfect and will be getting there first run at lunch time. Best £75 ever spent.
    So Far!
  • notax
    notax Posts: 138
    I use an identical pair of Specialized winter boots, having spent 15 years using overshoes. Wish I’d changed sooner! Spent much more than your did - I think more than double, but well worth it. I find them easy to put on and off, warm, but not too warm - and I started using them early this year as it was so wet. I’m sure you’ll love them!
  • Thanks Notax had first ride out today and so far very pleased I decided to wear some summer socks to see how they faired and they were excellent. I was mostly surprised by the fit compared to my other specialized shoes which 42 and felt tight if I wear really thick socks, the boots are my normal size 41 but have some much room as advised by dealer. So far extremely pleased and so glad I don't need to use overshoe again in fact they will be going in the bin.
    So Far!