Carrera

Hi guys I'm hoping to get back into my bikes, so I'm torn between a Carrera vengeance and hellcat.

Help

Comments

• I'd chose the Hellcat even though it's £25 more expensive, simply because I already have a range of 700/29er tyres from 25mm to 2.35" that would fit it.

I see the 27.5" wheel size as a gimmick to break compatibility with 26/29ers that have been commonplace over the last approx 25+ years.

However, the supplied XCM fork on both these models is not great, XCR used to be considered a much better basic fork.

At that sort of budget, I'd consider getting a rigid fork hybrid, unless you have intentions of doing "proper" off-road. Such as...
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-2-mens-hybrid-bike-2020---black---s-m-l-xl-frames-346198.html £350
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/voodoo-marasa-mens-hybrid-bike----18in-20in-frames-445471.html £450

I've recently bought a Marasa, for commuting and the odd gravel/ bridal track ride. It has 5mm clearance around a 2.35" G One Speed "slick gravel" tread on the front, I've yet to confirm but it looks like ~50mm will be the limit on the rear due to the front mech clearance.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • merlin40
    merlin40 Posts: 26
    edited August 2020
    N0bodyOfTheGoat

So what difference does the tyres make tho if I'm hill cycling etc, the two carreras I've seen are 20 inch frame that should be big enough, I'm 5"10
  • On smoother tarmac, narrower slicker tyres will be lighter and faster for the same effort, but on rougher ground wider tyres and a more knobbly tread will give more grip.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • merlin40
    merlin40 Posts: 26
    N0bodyOfTheGoat ok I'm heading more towards the vengenance
  • ToneC
    ToneC Posts: 33
    20 inch frame might be too big at 5 10. If possible I'd try before you buy. I know what the website says but even so...

Personally I'd use the bike you already have and save a bit more for the Voodoo Bizango if they come into stock again. Supposed to be great bikes , decent kit on it. Cost 675.

Also a British Cycling membership for 26 quid gets you 10% off in Halfords for the year I believe.
  • I have a vengeance and my son has the hellcat . We both prefer the vengeance
  • The only difference is the wheel size and hydraulic brakes Vs mechanical brakes