wednesday march through the desert on the path to war

'ning

ride before it rains, cafe coffee, wfh, crêpes au citron, destroy universe
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, milder rain expected later, dog walked now drinking coffee wondering what to do.
    Have a good day
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'ning
    Working from the sofa. AutoCAD on a laptop isn't that easy.
    Rain's already arrived here, but seems to be light squally showers not the torrential downpours that were forecast (not yet anyway).
    Going to nip to the gym later while I still can after much frustrations yesterday.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Rain here and nice tired legs after last nights singlespeed ride on a loop with somehow a constant headwind.

Later is the fun bike, though looks muddy in the woods
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Got the builders in. They're putting in a drive way at our new place.

WFH, then begin trying to insulate the new man cave before lining it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Hike round the M25 to join Da Staines Massiv and exercise The Panzer. Free food and coffee on offer to compensate. Fell foul of the psychic roadworks planner again who somehow manages to stick a new set of roadworks and temporary lights on whichever route I choose to get to the M25. Barsteward.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1 said:

Rain here and nice tired legs after last nights singlespeed ride on a loop with somehow a constant headwind.

If your going fast enough, it's always a headwind image

No motivation at all today, just sat drinking tea reading this, which is nice though…
    rain imminent apparently

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Another day of wfh that was started with over an hour of Teams meeting. Very tedious. Not much else gonig on as yet, need to drive the EPO to the dentist later. Being Wednesday I will be having a beer later.
    sungod said:

'ning

Whilst I understand 4.59am is technically morning, to any sane person that's the middle of the night.
  • Ayup!

Hadn't realised it was Wednesday until I came on here, was convinced it was Tuesday :lol:

WFW again, everyday is like groundhog day and with Black Friday imminent is only going to get busier.

Looking on the bright side deliveries are up 40% on last year, increasing profits and creating more jobs, win-win.

Hoping to ride a bike for pleasure at the weekend, but running the OH to work and back every day takes up the vast majority of any spare time I get.

Absolutely knackered, as is the OH, but mustn't grumble, could be far worse.

Just learnt that a family friend has succumbed to C-19, a relatively fit man only a couple of years older than me. Makes you think!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433

Afternoon folks,
    Another day of wfh that was started with over an hour of Teams meeting. Very tedious. Not much else gonig on as yet, need to drive the EPO to the dentist later. Being Wednesday I will be having a beer later.

sungod said:

'ning

Whilst I understand 4.59am is technically morning, to any sane person that's the middle of the night.
    fie, you slug-a-bed! were it summer i'd be heading out by then
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pfft!

If it was summer, especially pre-Covid, I'd likely be just coming home by then having spent an enjoyable night chasing pretty women and drinking far too much.

Go hard, or go home :lol:
  • veronese68
    It's been a couple of years since I last staggered home as the sun came up. I was going to say at dawn, then realised Stevo would ask if he'd met her.
    Took the trouble to the dentist, antibiotics and referred to the hospital for further treatment. To say she's fed up is an understatement.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    She's not had the best of it, well, neither of you have this year really.

Laptop related shenanigans really, as per normal. Early bail due to CBA.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Evening. Just wrapped up for the day.

Anyone else getting spam in their inbox? I've got someone offering to sell me a Selle Italia Superflow in white - something which I put in the wanted section back in the summer.

No posts and I have to reply directly to their email address, if I'm interested.

Once bitten, twice shy (that's a good story, actually).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Ben6899 said:

Anyone else getting spam in their inbox? I've got someone offering to sell me a Selle Italia Superflow in white - something which I put in the wanted section back in the summer

Only some dude in Scotland asking if I want to buy tyres. Has a suspiciously high post count on the forum 😀
  • Day spent knocking up solidworks tutorial videos for work. Gave up due to CBA and looked for mesh wifi deals on random interwebs. May get some work done tomorrow before a 9:30 meeting. Why 9:30? Ruins any chance of decent bike ride, might bail early for a pre lunch ride to swanage and back.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Went out in this unusual weather - dry and cold instead of mild and wet?

This is the last few hundred metres of a 6 mile false flat. Into a block headwind... after some hills. Long 2.5 mile descent - felt like Wilco Kelderman coming off the Stelvio - headwind, sun popped behind clouds. Then it was an 11 mile stretch... into the same block headwind - 3 false flats: 1 with me and 2 against me. Then mainly rolling uphill to get home. Same damn headwind. That'll teach me to go out on a tailwind.
    Brutal but epic.
    I'm fuxxed.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

This is the last few hundred metres of a 6 mile false flat. Into a block headwind... after some hills. Long 2.5 mile descent - felt like Wilco Kelderman coming off the Stelvio - headwind, sun popped behind clouds. Then it was an 11 mile stretch... into the same block headwind - 3 false flats: 1 with me and 2 against me. Then mainly rolling uphill to get home. Same damn headwind. That'll teach me to go out on a tailwind.
    Brutal but epic.
    I'm fuxxed.

I would comment on the chain being photographed on the small ring, but this is the wrong thread for that sort of thing.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831

pinno said:

Brutal but epic.
    I'm fuxxed.

I would comment on the chain being photographed on the small ring, but this is the wrong thread for that sort of thing.
    Leave him alone as I believe I have one of those lady rings, obviously never used it, but in theory I could.
  • pinno

Yeah f*ck off.
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

Leave him alone as I believe I have one of those lady rings, obviously never used it, but in theory I could.

And you.

• elbowloh
    What's the difference between a lady ring and a granny ring?

(there's a punchline there somewhere).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I get that chain in the small ring whenever required! Why mash too big a gear? Even a fat lad like me can pass those big-ring heroes on hills.
  • pinno
    They like pedalling squares and bobbing their heads up and down in the process.
    'Grenouille sur une boîte d'allumettes'.

• Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

What's the difference between a lady ring and a granny ring?

(there's a punchline there somewhere).

Age and enjoyment?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    oxoman said:

Cheers Stevo I like that. Elbow try pedalling a touring bike fully loaded uphill in a hard gear without motor assist or killing yourself. Top ring 50 to 53 teeth, lady ring 39/38 teeth and granny ring down to 38/24 ish saves the knees.

oxoman said:

Cheers Stevo I like that. Elbow try pedalling a touring bike fully loaded uphill in a hard gear without motor assist or killing yourself. Top ring 50 to 53 teeth, lady ring 39/38 teeth and granny ring down to 38/24 ish saves the knees.

It was a genuine question! I know about the granny ring, but have never heard the term "lady ring"!

I have no qualms about using the little ring, i'm 6'5" and weigh 95kgs (have been as much as 110) so need some easy gears, especially when doing Whitedown or Barhatch down this way.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    How about finger rings?

https://youtu.be/yMctPwaIA2E
  • elbowloh
    oxoman said:

Elbow. TBH I hadn't heard the term used but I see the logic, some hard-core people would say anything under 50 teeth on the big ring and has a rear cassette with more than a 25 tooth top cog is for softies. I must be really soft.

I have a compact double with an 11-28 cassette. I had an 11-32 when i did the Etape up Tourmalet., so i'm with you.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Elbow. TBH I hadn't heard the term used but I see the logic, some hard-core people would say anything under 50 teeth on the big ring and has a rear cassette with more than a 25 tooth top cog is for softies. I must be really soft.

I dunno, I have a 53 tooth front cog (or is it 52 - can't rememeber) and I never use my lady ring, even when climbing Mont Crystal Palace or the Col de Forest Hill :)
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

Me:

Winter: 34/50 and 12-25
    Summer: 36/50 and 12-27.
  • veronese68
    Hang on, when have we ever let the reality of life get in the way when abusing the afflicted? This is the bottom bracket not cake stop.
    Piña, MTFU ya great Jessie.