Do I need new chain and other stuff for 11-32 cassette

Hi I’m buying a 2nd hand Ridley on Facebook which has dura ace 9000 group set. He’s got Wheels with tubs on with a 11-30 cassette which I’m not buying as I prefer clinchers. If I use my own wheels which are Sram with 11-32 cassette, will I need a new longer chain and any other parts. Fairly new to biking in my 2nd year and looking for this much lighter bike. All advice appreciate b4 I go to the local bike shop .

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You are not supposed to go above a 30 sprocket with Dura Ace. Whether you would get away with a 32 I don’t know.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited November 2020
    @OP You should be fine. Shimano and sram are compatible if both are 11 speed.

The only question is if a Dura Ace short cage rear mech will work with a 32 tooth cassette.

I have Ultegra and a short cage rear mech works fine with. 32 cassette.

If it’s a consideration you will have to run Ultegra for the cassette and if needed the rear mech.

You “should” be fine with some adjustment being required with the limit screw but that’s it.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • It’ll be fine, but as slowmart says, it requires some careful adjustments. If you’re not completely confident I reckon it’s a job for any decent bike shop.

There are plenty of folk using DA and 32 cogs out there.
  • russ_c
    russ_c Posts: 17
    Cheers slowmart and great divide very helpful.
  • russ_c
    russ_c Posts: 17
    One final question. If I need a new rear mech- medium cage, do I get sram to match cassette or dura ace to match the other bits on the bike excl cassette?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Shimano, but it will have to be 105/Ultegra. Dura Ace only come in short cage.