Boardman CX Team - Mudguards Query

insomnium75
insomnium75 Posts: 7
edited April 2019 in Commuting general
Hello,

I have a Boardman CX Team (black/red model) that I use for commuting.
I fitted 45mm SKS Longboard mudguards to it when I purchased the bike 2 years a ago and have been riding on 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Pluses, and the 28mm version also.

I would like to move to a 40mm tyre if possible as the route I'm taking to work now also incorporates a bit of off road track riding which is not very comfortable on Marathon Plus tyres.

I'd like to know if anyone has managed to fit 40mm tyres to a CX team and still be able to have enough clearance to fit full length mudguards?

Thanks

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not 100% sure there are mudguard mounts front and rear on the bike. Was looking at that model myself on C2W and discounted it cause of the mudguard issue.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Klaus B
    Klaus B Posts: 63
    Sorry don't know about that specific bike model clearance for 40mm but I know that marathon plus are a stiff and uncomfortable tyre especially in 28mm width. Imo better tyre choice for you is marathon Mondial 35mm folding (great but expensive) or marathon green guard 35mm (rigid bead but one of the best all-around touring). Happy rides
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    Hello,

I have a Boardman CX Team (black/red model) that I use for commuting.
    I fitted 45mm SKS Longboard mudguards to it when I purchased the bike 2 years ago and have been riding on 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Pluses, and the 28mm version also.

Thanks

I ran a similar setup to you with 35mm tyres & SKS mudguards. After 2 years of faffing with the front mudguard because of the disc brake, I swapped the front guard out for a SKS Mud-X Front Downtube which works very well.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I'd go with 35mm knobbly tyres with lower pressure.. Also worth asking if anyone has fitted smaller wheels with bigger tyres, e.g. 650B and 40-50 mm.

Doing mixed surfaces, it's really a compromise choice whatever you pick. I do my road and canal path commute on 28mm Marathons most if the time.
  • I can confirm that 40mm tyres will fit with SKS Bluemels Stingrays on the Boardman CX Team
  • Hi, I also own the cx and love it.... can you tell me what size tyres you have fitted to the mavic wheels. I’d like to change to something faster as still has the Schwable rapid robs on it...