Imperial bike parts, metric tools

I have an old folding bike and all the nuts and such are imperial. Is there a way to replace them with metric parts so I can use my spanners or should I try to find an imperial toolkit.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    edited November 2020
    No, the threads are different so not interchangeable. Buy some imperial tools.
    Bear in mind there are different standards for imperial. You probably want AF type. Unless the bike is really old in which case it may need Whitworth, but not since the early 60s I reckon. Most imperial stuff sold is AF, it would say if not.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited November 2020
    I think used to be another specification called " british bicycle" and not truly interchangeable with other imperial classes.
    Edit.. its BSC British standard cycle which has a 60degrees angle thread.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Spanners and Allen keys should fit any type of imperial fastener as long as it's the right size?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    You wouldn't find an Allen bolt on an old Imperial-age bike. Tolls will fit where they are a close equivalent. 6mm is not the same as 1/4". In the same way 1/2" is neither 12mm or 13mm - one simply won't fit and the other will round off anything done up tight enough.