Dolan GXT Ti

Anyone own one of these "Gravel", jobs?

Looking at a few options for a Gravel bike. I'd kind of narrowed it down to an Orbea M20-D1x, but for some reason last few days, I've started to entertain the idea of Ti, mainly from a resilience point-of-view (rocks n' the like).

Not sure if Our Terry has these made overseas, or in-house?

The Orbea is more a fast Gravel "racer", with no real accommodation for auxiliary gubbins like racks (or even 3rd bottle mounts). GXT seems a bit more do-it-all.... Similar tyre clearances with 700c (Ti has 43mm to Orbea 40mm), but doubt I'd want more than 40mm anyway.

Also curious to hear how the Ti rides. Had a Ti frame once- flexy as f....

For a bike that's been out since the beginning of the year, I can find barely a review of the GXT.

Comments

• Gravel and titanium... can't think of anything less inspiring... I still don't understand why I should be interested in a gravel bike... there simply is no gravel anywhere this side of Wales... there is some mud... so maybe a mud bike, one with a rubber belt instead of a chain or some kind of enclosed gearbox...
    left the forum March 2023
  • True, not sure I'd ever see those wide, dusty firebreaks you so oft see on "the ad's", but by using the canal network, a bit of tarmac, disused railway lines and bridleways, there's quite a bit to be going at around here.

Looking at the weight of that Dolan, 2.5kg for a medium f+f (I'd be large), sounds a bit porky....?
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    edited November 2020
    Can’t comment on the Dolan GXT but I have a Dolan ADX, it’s 8 years old. From memory they’re made for Dolan welded in Eastern Europe by ex Submarine Welders. Not sure which Eastern European Country. It’s single butted titanium, not that light and a little dull to ride but it’s my winter bike and does that job perfectly. They were fairly good value for money, not sure of current pricing.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    There's plenty of gravel in the UK; anywhere there is a forest (Wales, Kielder, Scotland, etc) plus bridleways, Salisbury Plain, The Ridgeway, etc
    Actually, the state of a lot of our roads, you'd be better on a Gravel bike than a stiff race bike with skinny tyres.

I'm not keen on the term 'Gravel bike' - I'd prefer All Road/Adventure...as they can do pretty much everything - apart from proper gnarly MTB trails.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac said:

There's plenty of gravel in the UK; anywhere there is a forest (Wales, Kielder, Scotland, etc) plus bridleways, Salisbury Plain, The Ridgeway, etc
    Actually, the state of a lot of our roads, you'd be better on a Gravel bike than a stiff race bike with skinny tyres.

I'm not keen on the term 'Gravel bike' - I'd prefer All Road/Adventure...as they can do pretty much everything - apart from proper gnarly MTB trails.

What I find is my desire to ride the Ridgeway, is limited to the summer months, when it's dry... but that's also the best time to ride on the roads... Once autumn rolls in, all those chalk bridleways are caked in mud that dries hard as concrete... I got into these things a bit in Surrey, but lost the mojo pretty swiftly too...
    It also depends whether you have a garage and somewhere where you can jet wash your bike without worrying too much... in my case it would be more hassle than it's worth... that and of course there is no gravel in the Midlands
    left the forum March 2023