Trying to identify a rim

Hello.
I've bought 5 bike rims on an auction site and I'm having problems finding more details about them. The listing had no details, only a low resolution photo.
Initially, because of the yellow sticker, I thought they might be Mavic, but I was wrong. The only marking is a yellow decal with SQUARE written on it.
I suspect they are road bike rims, the exterior diameter is around 635mm, and they weigh 675 grams.
I would like to find out if they really are road bike rims, if they are rim or disc brake compatible, and if anyone is familiar with the manufacturer.
Here are some photos:

Thanks.

Comments

• Why did you buy them if you don't know what they are are where you can use them?
    Frank Yates
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    635mm is probably 639mm and 26".

They have, what look like, wear indicators so that tells me they're for rim brakes.

Got an old hardtail you can slot them into?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Take a look at this: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html
    Or just hold them next to another wheel and see how they compare.
  • 635 outer diameter, likely to be 622 at the bead, so a standard road rim... if you have a road tyre, try to fit it and see how it goes up. If you have some rim tape and an inner tube you can even inflate it and see if it sits correctly.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the replies.
    I found a 27.5 rim and put it next to it and it's bigger, so it should be a road rim. I have a couple of 28" trekking tires in storage, I'll slide them on and see how they fit.
  • mroca2004 said:

Thanks for the replies.
    I found a 27.5 rim and put it next to it and it's bigger, so it should be a road rim. I have a couple of 28" trekking tires in storage, I'll slide them on and see how they fit.

yes, I am fairly convinced 635 outside diameter means 622 on the bead, therefore road rim

• mroca2004 said:

Thanks for the replies.

yes, I am fairly convinced 635 outside diameter means 622 on the bead, therefore road rim

Thanks. Can you say from the pictures if it's rim or disc brake compatible? To me they look to be rim brake compatible, but not sure.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    edited November 2020
    mroca2004 said:

mroca2004 said:

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks. Can you say from the pictures if it's rim or disc brake compatible? To me they look to be rim brake compatible, but not sure.
    As per other comment above ^, if what I see is a wear indicator (a groove), then it is certainly one for rim brakes. I wouldn't really get the point of a rim that weighs like a tank and has no brake track.

They look like the kind of product that Brick Lane Bikes would sell, aimed at "street riding", "fixie crowd", "Bike Polo"....
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,415
    It does look odd that the braking surface is coated with what looks like the same finish as the rest of the rim. Surely this would wear off quickly? It doesn't look like Exalith coating and I'm not aware of other brands that do similar to Mavic.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• It does look odd that the braking surface is coated with what looks like the same finish as the rest of the rim. Surely this would wear off quickly? It doesn't look like Exalith coating and I'm not aware of other brands that do similar to Mavic.

They look the same as some Ambrosio rims I built in the past... basically the brake surface is not machined... maybe Ambrosio Excursion? Don't quote me on that