Opinions on a second-hand bike

A friend of a friend is offering to sell me their bike - which could be good if it fits (I am going to do a test ride). Could I ask if people reckon it's a good bike, and what it's probably worth?

The details are:

A Burls titanium frame (Audax one , I think) with Campagnolo Athena 11 speed, Chris King headset, Campagnolo Eurus wheels, mounts for rack and guards. The frame and gruppo are from 2011, the wheels are a couple of years old. The forks are carbon.

It would come with SPD pedals (mountainbike ones), plus a rack and mudguards if wanted.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    That's a pretty good spec.
    Can't comment on value though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Nice...

But remember titanium only if you are > 50 years old... ;)
    left the forum March 2023
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Sounds like a well specced bike. The age of the components isn't much of a guide though, more important is the mileage and type of use. Assuming you know what to look out for you can adjust the price to account for any worn items like chainrings, chain, sprockets etc. It's impossible to suggest a price for something we can't see but I would imagine that sort of spec would have cost between 2.5 and 3k new? That was nearly 10 years ago though and bikes don't have great second hand values, even really good ones. Have a look on eBay and classifieds to get a feel for what other similar bikes are going for.
  • Thanks for the comments above - much appreciated.

I'm imagining c.£750. It's been used for commuting in London (daily I assume).

And on that basis, I imagine it's preferable to £750 spent at Decathlon... for an all-round road bike for fitness and possibly commuting?
  • I am trying to remember who had a burls who commuted daily in London.

There was one guy with long hair who came in from the SW to the city. I think they have transitioned to a woman now, but at the time (3-4 years ago) was an extremely handy rider.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Could have cost between £2K and 3K when new back in 2011. Wheelset at 2 years old would probably fetch £150-£200 if in good nick.

Just as a ball park figure I would be happy to pay around £800 if it's all working and fits. Don't forget in these COVID affected times the prices of 2nd hand bikes have gone a bit silly due to shortages in the new bike supply chain.
  • shortfall
    guidod said:

Thanks for the comments above - much appreciated.

And on that basis, I imagine it's preferable to £750 spent at Decathlon... for an all-round road bike for fitness and possibly commuting?

Assuming good condition and no imminent repairs/replacements Id be happy to drop £750 on it. As you say, probably better value than something mid range from Decathlon with a far inferior spec.
  • definitely take the mudguards.
  • I think it may need new bottom bracket bearings, but I can't imagine they cost much...
  • shortfall
    guidod said:

I think it may need new bottom bracket bearings, but I can't imagine they cost much...

If you take it to a shop and they use campag bearings I think it'll cost you about 50 -70 quid depending where you are. You can do it yourself but you need a few tools like a bearing puller and an improvised press made from some tube.
  • Thank you - again. Getting back into it after cycling for two decades, then about five years off.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have a Burls winter bike from 2012 and it's really very nice, £750 looks a good price.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    edited November 2020
    guidod said:

Thanks for the comments above - much appreciated.

I'd certainly agree with this conclusion. 6 months wear and tear down the line and the Burls will be so much better than anything that came out of Decathlon.

And take the mudguards!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    £750 seems a decent price for a Burls; nice bike, and decent groupset. Go for it and enjoy!!!
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    And post some photos. It sounds lovely.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Nice...

But remember titanium only if you are > 50 years old... ;)

Or unless can afford one.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

I am trying to remember who had a burls who commuted daily in London.

There was one guy with long hair who came in from the SW to the city. I think they have transitioned to a woman now, but at the time (3-4 years ago) was an extremely handy rider.

Asprilla had one I think, didn't have long hair though. He changed bikes regularly, almost as often as his jobs.
    Sounds like a nice bike and certainly better value than buying new.