Cyclocross Coverage 20/21 season

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,439
Has anyone seen anything? GCN did a great job last year and I was a bit gutted when they went paywall for the race coverage because I’ve already got Eurosport on the TV. But the season has started and I can’t see any references to it on the GCN app (which unless I’ve missed something isn’t great) or anywhere else.

I assume red bull still have the World Cups but there’s no mention of it on their app either.

I’ve been watching on YouTube again for now, but my Flemish isn’t very good so I can’t just have it on in the background.

Any tips?
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• prawny
    Ahh, found it via the racepass website. Might have to invest.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited October 2020
    There has been races on Eurosport player for the last 3 weekends. The guy off GCN Marty? is commentating so I presume it’s the same feed.
    Super prestige is on the schedule for Saturday both men’s and women’s.
  • prawny
    Cheers, yeah looks like GCN and Eurosport player have exactly the arm coverage. Might be better off with the Eurosport player so I can watch other sports on demand too.

Does GCN give you anything over Eurosport player? They’re the same price, but GCN only gives you the cycling and no iPad app yet.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    And don't forget the EKZ CrossTour from Switzerland, which is shown live on YouTube.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Both Superprestige races are live on the Eurosport player tomorrow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Marty McCrossan mentioned today that WVA, MVDP and Pidcock are planning on coming back to Cross in December
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    Methadone season is on its way. Only 100 days or so to Omloop Het Neuiwsblad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Only 100 days or so to Omloop Het Neuiwsblad.

Hopefully !
  • andyrac
    I've always wondered why the Cyclocross thread is in the Road Race forum, and not the Cyclocross forum.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    andyrac said:

I've always wondered why the Cyclocross thread is in the Road Race forum, and not the Cyclocross forum.

I think it's because the cyclocross forum is mainly about riding and racing cyclocross yourself, whereas this thread is about the pro side of the sport. (Not many pro cyclists posting in Pro Race as far as I'm aware; two ex pros at most I think?).
  • prawny
    I’ve finally gotten round to signing up to the Eurosport player today and an I right in thinking that they don’t keep the old races on demand for very long?

There’s only 2 men’s races on there to watch, but they’re all on GCN race pass, is that right? Or have I don’t something wrong?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    From the few snatches of it I've caught, J-Pow is shaping up into a decent commentator.

Of course, it never sounds right in any other language than Flemish...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He is. It *really* helps to have someone who understands how races are ridden commentating. Previously on GCN they've tended to use a road pro, who don't add much insight.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    prawny said:

I’ve finally gotten round to signing up to the Eurosport player today and an I right in thinking that they don’t keep the old races on demand for very long?

There’s only 2 men’s races on there to watch, but they’re all on GCN race pass, is that right? Or have I don’t something wrong?

Go to select sport and choose e.g. Cycling, Cyclo Cross. There's past races there plus upcoming e.g Women's and Men's cyclo at Merksplas on Saturday.
  • prawny
    @orraloon I tried that and it’s only showing the men’s race from Leuven, nothing before that.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • webboo
    prawny said:

Go in to schedule, you can go backwards to the race day you want find the race click on it and it should play. You can also wind it backwards while it’s on live.
  • webboo
    Just tried it and I can both last Wednesdays Super P races and Saturdays races.
  • prawny
    I ned to go right back to the start of the season, is that doable?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • webboo
    I don’t think so. I can’t go back further than last Monday.
  • prawny
    Booo! Looks like I’ll see if I can get a refund and go for GCN. Or just start now, hmmm.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • webboo
    They have all been on the player but they have been taken down.
  • Full race coverage of all the cross races of the past couple of seasons can be watched from here:

https://tiz-cycling.io/video_tag/cyclo-cross/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    andyp said:

He is. It *really* helps to have someone who understands how races are ridden commentating. Previously on GCN they've tended to use a road pro, who don't add much insight.

mrs P and I were saying that JP has managed to achieve puppy like excitement with actual useful knowledge, without coming across as annoying. Enjoying it.

And the racing (especially the womens) has been GREAT
    Insert bike here:
  • andyrac
    andyp said:

Not quite as bad as the BBC using road/track commentators during the Olympic/Commonwealth XCO races...... oh dear.
  • prawny
    Panic over, it turns out the app is just not very good, all races are available on the website so I’ve just deleted the app and can watch fine. Happy days!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Any news on when GCN will be fire stick enabled?

I am sure I read that somewhere.
  • andyrac
    First World Cup, Tabor, Czech Rep.
    Sadly, no excellent free Red Bull TV coverage - just the bog standard subscription GCN/Eurosport Player. A mistake methinks
  • webboo
    You can get the player for £19.99 at the moment so it hardly a bank breaker.
  • andyrac
    I've got the Eurosport subscription, and have for a number of years - I just think what we had last year for the CX World Cups was far better - and free to air. The RedBull TV coverage was far superior; better build up, proper course previews, and post race analysis.
  • webboo
    I think that a lot of that is due to the Covid restrictions rather than anything else.