Best budget bike for trail/downhill

Hi I am looking for a bike that would be good for trail and downhill. (I'll mainly be biking in dalby forest ) I currently have a calibre saw and I've had nothing but problems. the only positive is its breaks. I don't even trust it enough to try having ago on trails with it. I was looking at some of the specialized pitches , rockhoppers but I don't know if it's be worth the investment as they only have 100mm of travel. Any help will be greatly appreciated
(I need larger bikes I'm 6ft+)

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What do you mean by "downhill"?
    Riding down hills is very different to Down Hill riding.

If it's the former then you want a trail bike. If it's the latter then you want a DH bike. What is your budget?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Calibre saw may just need better tyres.
  • JBA said:

If it's the former then you want a trail bike. If it's the latter then you want a DH bike. What is your budget?

Do you know what dalby forest is like? Its a hill you go down it as for budget anything under £800
  • oxoman said:

Given you've mentioned Dalby forest, I'm assuming you looking at the red route. If so your need to look at something half decent.
    For new I'd be looking at Carerra Fury
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-fury-mens-mountain-bike-2020---red---s-m-l-frames-340550.html
    Still one of the best IMHO budget hardtails about.
    Ideally 140mm travel would be better but your budget limits you to lower spec bikes. Other option is 2nd hand and I'd be looking at 140mm full sus bikes like the Giant Trance or Calibre Bossnut. Sadly biggest problem at the minute is supply and demand. Very few bikes available. Please note I wouldn't do dalby red on anything less than 120 forks. I've seen people do it on lesser with 30mm stantions and they've broken them. The other trails at Dalby you can do on pretty much anything.

Thanks you've been so much help if I swapped the forks on my calibre for some higher 120mm+ forks would it be safe to use on the trails (only major problem wrong with the saw is it dose not change from 3rd to 2nd only 1st 2nd 3rd so you have to go all the way down to go up if that makes sense )
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited November 2020
    tom250106 said:

JBA said:

Do you know what dalby forest is like? Its a hill you go down it as for budget anything under £800
    Every day is a school day! If there's a hill you ride down, it requires a Downhill Bike. I bought the wrong type, that explains it!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    tom250106 said:

JBA said:

Whoa there, tiger! It was a serious question. I have no idea what Dalby Forest is like. Hence the question. I was trying to be helpful.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • If I bought a Downhill bike how will I get back to the top again, an uphill bike?🤔
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I always thought Dalby was uphill especially from Thornton le Dale.
  • oxoman said:

If you went to bigger forks you alter the geometry of the bike and that can make it harder to control. As to the gears they should work just fine if adj and kept clean. Triple chain sets aren't really the in thing at the moment, the bike itself is really meant for paths and gravel trails rather than dalby red run. If your going to be doing a bit everything then id get the fury or something similar.
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-hoodoo-mens-mountain-bike---16in-18in-20in-22in-frames-445737.html
    https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-mambo-27.5plus-mens-mountain-bike---18in-20in-frames-448244.html
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/bikes-available-stock/boardman-mht-8.8-mountain-bike----l-526399.html
    PS biased towards the fury as i had one for several years. I also cannot believe I'm recommending halfords bikes, I'm only doing this as they seem to be able to get some stock in and they are also in budget. As halfords bike guys are not always the best make sure you check it over yourself if you go that way. Don't forget to budget for a shock pump to set air forks up. A lot of 2nd bikes being touted for sale are not worth what there going for so id go new at the moment. or try for ex demo / display / hire bikes being sold off. Rutland cycles can be good for this as is paulscycles website.

Thanks I'll have to look around