Anyone started their own cycling group?

I’m struggling to find riding buddies (I know .....how sad does that sound!).
None of my friends or family are interested and don’t really know anyone else local.

Ive tried a few local clubs but for various reasons haven’t found right one..... one issue I have is two have main rides on a Sunday morning and my son plays football then.

I was thinking of just using the local village Facebook page to see if their were any local riders interested in going out together. but worried it might be difficult to find a group at similar levels (and people i‘ll get along with!).

Anyone done anything similar or have any suggestions?

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    try finding some other dads for a ride. theyll have the same commitments. post on the schol facebook page and suggest a pint or curry. :)
  • Alternatively, enjoy the solitude while you can.

Give it 12 months or so for the vaccine to go around and every Tom, Dick and Harry will be back out in their cars trying to run you off the road.

I personally cannot stand group rides, they're either too fast, or too slow, have far too many cockwombles within them and take the enjoyment out of planning my own rides, where I want to go, at a time that suits me.

We're in lockdown, can we actually group ride anyway?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My cycling club started as a Meetup group (it's an app if you're not aware) about 9 years ago and grew and grew and now its a proper BC registered cycling club.

Have a look on Meetup to see if there's anything local and if not, start a meetup group.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I started my own group. Rides are at my pace and at times to suit me.
    I'm the only one in it.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Cargobike said:

Alternatively, enjoy the solitude while you can.

Give it 12 months or so for the vaccine to go around and every Tom, censored and Harry will be back out in their cars trying to run you off the road.

I personally cannot stand group rides, they're either too fast, or too slow, have far too many cockwombles within them and take the enjoyment out of planning my own rides, where I want to go, at a time that suits me.

We're in lockdown, can we actually group ride anyway?

Is this a "cry for help" type post?
  • Not personally but a mate of mine did. Based on his experience I would set some ground rules and make sure people understand the expected ride etiquette. His group was intended for all abilities, no drop and riding at a pace everyone could manage.

The more people that joined the wider the disparity in abilities and it ended with other quicker riders taking over the rides and generally alienating the less experienced/slower riders. In the end my mate just disbanded it as the constant bickering between group members was too much of a hassle.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Not personally but a mate of mine did. Based on his experience I would set some ground rules and make sure people understand the expected ride etiquette. His group was intended for all abilities, no drop and riding at a pace everyone could manage.

The more people that joined the wider the disparity in abilities and it ended with other quicker riders taking over the rides and generally alienating the less experienced/slower riders. In the end my mate just disbanded it as the constant bickering between group members was too much of a hassle.

With more people, you just break up into smaller groups by ability.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I started my own group. Rides are at my pace and at times to suit me.
    I'm the only one in it.

Sounds like my works Christmas drink. I’m self-employed!
  • rock_bus said:

I’m struggling to find riding buddies (I know .....how sad does that sound!).
    None of my friends or family are interested and don’t really know anyone else local.

Ive tried a few local clubs but for various reasons haven’t found right one..... one issue I have is two have main rides on a Sunday morning and my son plays football then.

I was thinking of just using the local village Facebook page to see if their were any local riders interested in going out together. but worried it might be difficult to find a group at similar levels (and people i‘ll get along with!).

Anyone done anything similar or have any suggestions?

Where are you based??
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2 said:
    Not personally but a mate of mine did. Based on his experience I would set some ground rules and make sure people understand the expected ride etiquette. His group was intended for all abilities, no drop and riding at a pace everyone could manage.

With more people, you just break up into smaller groups by ability.

Fair point but that wasn't his intended purpose really. He wanted one smallish social group rather than replicating club ride formats based on ability, which seems more along the lines of what the OP is after.

People turned up and tried to turn it into a chaingang and alienate the slower riders which defeated the whole purpose of the thing!