Other sports worth following

Mainly because I couldn't be bothered to start two new threads:

Sailing
Vendee Globe set off on Sunday - 3 British sailors are competing, 2 ladies: Pip Hare, Sam Davies and then offshore veteran Alex Thompson who is a favourite to win in a brand new boat. He came 3rd in 2012 and 2nd in 2016 in what was a nail-biting finish after losing a foil in the Atlantic.

For perspective - more people have been into space than have sailed around the world, non-stop, single handed (I think less than 100).

Weather looks very difficult just now with a long beat down the Atlantic. Media is fantastic if you follow the official instagram/twitter accounts.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map

Golf
Masters Golf tees off on Thurs. Rahm made a hole in one today on the par three course hole 16 where VJ Singh did it in 2009.

I don't know much about the favourites but I used to love the commentary on in the background when it was on free to air. I wonder what the course looks like at this time of year?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    edited November 2020
    World grass growing championships.

British paint drying grand prix. Nowhere near as exciting since it went water-based.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    edited November 2020
    There used to be a televised crazy golf tournament series on Canadian TV.
    It was serious too, not ironic or a spoof either. I found it funny.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    Tiddly winks. The winks are lighter these days and really move around in the air.
  • First.Aspect
    Whiff Whaff.

Has been played since Roman times. There is a cast of a whiff at Pompeii.
  • First.Aspect
    Highland games.

So stupid even Canadians don't watch it.
  • First.Aspect
    Its a Knock Out.

1. Food dye is safe.
    2. I should have won the caption competion.
  • First.Aspect
    Caption competition.

If type writers are used, it is a sport.
  • Augusta will probably look much like it does in April, because they have so much technology in the course to control “nature”. There’s a heating system underground on the 12th green to keep soil temperature managed for the right grass growth in shady time, and elsewhere to artificially trick the dogwoods into flowering at just the right time every season for the tournament.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    edited November 2020
    NFL season takes me to Feb and then it’s a short month till Omloop. 👍🏻

Short enough season (16 “league” games before playoffs) means most games actually matter.

Watch most of it on redzone which is like nfl on crack as it jumps between plays as games are being played simultaneously so you get a good feel for what’s going on and aren’t bored to tears by the constant breaks.
  • pblakeney said:

I think Rham would be excellent at this, judging from his hole-in-one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/golf/54897477
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586

pblakeney said:

Liked watching that this morning. 😀

Holey Moley! The Aussies are resurrecting televised crazy golf next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcq3W3eNtpI
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    F1 is still going on. Tends to get going again as soon as Feb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208

pblakeney said:

Saw that on the news last night. The skim shot was brilliant, I couldn't believe it when it went in the hole though.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Red Bull soap box. Okay for a laugh now and then.

The older I get, the better I was.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Another vote for Le Vendee Globe.
    Have a look on YouTube.
    You will be amazed.
  • Mainly because I couldn't be bothered to start two new threads:

Sailing
    Vendee Globe set off on Sunday - 3 British sailors are competing, 2 ladies: Pip Hare, Sam Davies and then offshore veteran Alex Thompson who is a favourite to win in a brand new boat. He came 3rd in 2012 and 2nd in 2016 in what was a nail-biting finish after losing a foil in the Atlantic.

For perspective - more people have been into space than have sailed around the world, non-stop, single handed (I think less than 100).

Weather looks very difficult just now with a long beat down the Atlantic. Media is fantastic if you follow the official instagram/twitter accounts.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map

Golf
    Masters Golf tees off on Thurs. Rahm made a hole in one today on the par three course hole 16 where VJ Singh did it in 2009.

I don't know much about the favourites but I used to love the commentary on in the background when it was on free to air. I wonder what the course looks like at this time of year?

Nice link shirley_basso on the first sport, thanks :)
    I'll pass on the second if you don't mind
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Masters should be great. Always taken aback to see Augusta with no fans, there are some massive open spaces.

England cricket tour of South Africa due to start later this month I think, opening with T20s and then ODIs.
  • pblakeney said:

I can't work out how to quote properly - but mentioned in the OP - VJ Singh is the only other person I can think of who has also done it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg9GOMAB31Q
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

I have done little bits of sailing here and there, and I find it utterly bewildering how single-handed sailors can do it for more than 24 hours, never mind months at a time.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    I've done a few longer offshore races (5 - 7 days) but with a crew. I even boggle how the double handers do it, let alone solo and for 3 months. I guess you are just so busy and the autohelms are so good that it doesn't get boring.

Vendee update:

2 favourites are returning to the start for repairs: One with broken rudder (Charal - outright favourite) and another with rigging issues (Occitane, an outsider). Of the latter, a boat has already returned to base with the same issue and re-started a day or so ago. Apparently several boats use the same setup - although strange to see malfunctions occurring now rather than during all the warm up races.

I know the base remains open for several days to allow for this, but can't remember when it closes and damage means an abandonment.

Alex Thompson looking good after the 11am update - not really clear (to me at least!) where they will go once they are through this low pressure.
  • Augusta will probably look much like it does in April, because they have so much technology in the course to control “nature”. There’s a heating system underground on the 12th green to keep soil temperature managed for the right grass growth in shady time, and elsewhere to artificially trick the dogwoods into flowering at just the right time every season for the tournament.

What about the azaleas?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I used to love watching kabaddi when it was on Channel 4. My brother and I used to emulate it in the front room.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Freeride World Tour looks like it will be happening again...

The Women's Ski competition was by far the most interesting last year!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver

What about the azaleas?
    Azaleas are like a weed, grow anywhere and flower for months at a time...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

I've done a few longer offshore races (5 - 7 days) but with a crew. I even boggle how the double handers do it, let alone solo and for 3 months. I guess you are just so busy and the autohelms are so good that it doesn't get boring.

Vendee update:

2 favourites are returning to the start for repairs: One with broken rudder (Charal - outright favourite) and another with rigging issues (Occitane, an outsider). Of the latter, a boat has already returned to base with the same issue and re-started a day or so ago. Apparently several boats use the same setup - although strange to see malfunctions occurring now rather than during all the warm up races.

I know the base remains open for several days to allow for this, but can't remember when it closes and damage means an abandonment.

Alex Thompson looking good after the 11am update - not really clear (to me at least!) where they will go once they are through this low pressure.

I was effectively paying crew for a couple of days. Job was simply to watch for ships or if something beeped, then let the captain know. I asked how he manages to sleep when on his own and he said 20 min naps next to the beeping thing. That way he could check on ships. Didn't sound like much fun. Maybe there are places where ships are less of a hazard.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Oh man I find offshore sailing quite stressful.

Lake sailing ftw....
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'd like to learn to sail, i think it would be quite relaxing (inshore/lakes) rather than off-shore.

I think i'll give it a bash sometime.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    edited November 2020

Oh man I find offshore sailing quite stressful.

Lake sailing ftw....

Sometimes you have to get from A to B and it is the only way. Or the best way.

Far more stressful way to cross an ocean though even in a big ship.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Sailing around the islands and inlets of the Scottish west coast could never be described as stress-free, but, on the few occasions when I have done it, some of the most amazing experiences of my life.
  • Sailing, meh.

"The fine art of getting wet while slowly going nowhere at great expense."