Alex Dowsett
12 December
Manchester Velodrome
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    edited November 2020
    Interesting. He's a decent TTer and everything, but does he have a realistic chance of taking it?

Edit: I should say I'd be delighted to see him do it.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    he's taken it once before, no reason to believe he couldn't again. I'd love to see it.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Going for it before Ganna has a shot and keeps it foreveeeeeeeerrrrr!

• too cold... they won't be able to heat the place to 25 degrees, which is what you need to be fast... but great he is giving it a shot... hopefully televised!
    left the forum March 2023
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Any one heard who he is riding for next year yet?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    ajkerr73 said:

Going for it before Ganna has a shot and keeps it foreveeeeeeeerrrrr!

It's like going back a few years, but the role of Ganna was been played by Wiggins.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ISN - confirmed
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It hasn't been confirmed by the team or Dowsett yet, so you're sources better be good.
  • I hope this means a return of Xavier Disley's graphs
  • andyp
    He's been posting some this week of recent niche hour records, i.e. Swiss National Hour Record.
  • andyp said:

It hasn't been confirmed by the team or Dowsett yet, so you're sources better be good.

Oh god! I've just double checked my source and I think it was my tired brain interpreting some other news as ISN signing him
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Is it aqua blue? Or those ones who wore black and red?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

Interesting. He's a decent TTer and everything, but does he have a realistic chance of taking it?

He held it before so my question is whether he is a faster rider now than back then. I'd also like to see it but to me he isn't as good as he was back then. Technology may have improved but he needs to go over 2km further than his previous record. Not much preparation time either.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

I would suggest that Campanaerts isn't really that much better as a TTer, so sure he's got a shot.

The big one will be when Ganna has a go. Late 2021 perhaps. He could threaten Boardman's 1996 record.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I hope this means a return of Xavier Disley's graphs

He is in the Hill Climb circuit... he beat me twice this season... :(
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Dowsett last time out had everything just right and his equipment was spot on. he's not quite as good as campernaets at time trialling, but if he's been training specifically, then he should have a reasonable chance of doing well. though manchester will need to be warm for him to be effective.

i agree with the idea Ganna should be able to beat any and all comers, as hes kind of like a more powerful version of cancellara with the aerodynamics of wiggins. those guys used to put out 460-485 watts per effort in the worlds (Though Wiggo's hour was around 440 watts ) tony martin was seemingly also very powerful. Ganna seemingly would be higher in terms of numbers. if his cda is the same or better and the temperature is correct, he goes faster.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Ganna's track experience is another thing in his favour. He knows how to take the perfect line at 60kph.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    according to this https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/blogs/news/dowsett-hour-record-take-2

last time round Dowsett did 395 watts. he'll need to find quite a few more to be competetive i'd suggest.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Wearing ISN shorts in the video posted on Instagram

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    grenw said:

Contracts usually run until year end so I don't think that means anything
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    r0bh said:

grenw said:

Contracts usually run until year end so I don't think that means anything
    I would assume that's the very reason why he can reveal who he has signed for.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Isn't it also much faster at altitude, or have they stopped that now...

I assume I won't be allowed to go and watch by the 12th, which is a shame.
  • andyp
    inseine said:

Ganna's track experience is another thing in his favour. He knows how to take the perfect line at 60kph.

If he replicates the way he rides the pursuit, he'll be 5 kms behind schedule at the half way point, then will break the record by 3 kms.
  • Isn't it also much faster at altitude, or have they stopped that now...

I assume I won't be allowed to go and watch by the 12th, which is a shame.

Campenaerts was at altitude in Aguas Calientes... it does matter, although of course it's a trade off with the power lost because of the thin air
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I guess air pressure should be low in Manchester in winter?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598

too cold... they won't be able to heat the place to 25 degrees, which is what you need to be fast... but great he is giving it a shot... hopefully televised!

I like that my completely unscientific small sample of one conclusion made in the late 80s that 25 degrees was the perfect temperature has been proven correct. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyp

andyp said:

Oh god! I've just double checked my source and I think it was my tired brain interpreting some other news as ISN signing him
    Ciro Scognamiglio believes he's signed a two year contract extension with ISN, so either he reads this forum, or your sources are good. :)
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Dowsett has tested positive for COVID so it’s postponed.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds said:

Dowsett has tested positive for COVID so it’s postponed.

In the race off season? FFS... all he's got to do is train and prepare for the Hour... it should have been easy to stay out of trouble
  • andyp
    Yeah, how dare he come into contact with a virus. Doesn't it know he shouldn't catch it?