Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Sure. FWIW, I don't think the story was "look at the impact on the UK while everyone else carries on as normal". The acceleration of other manufacturing nations is what I noticed.

£1 of services exports are worth the same as £1 of goods exports, so not sure why they are slicing it up like that rather than looking at the totals.
    I would guess they were trying to say something about manufacturing. As I said, the data was originally from the CIA.
    Maybe, but for an economy that is strong in services like the UK, that could paint a rather unfavourable picture compared to those that are more centred on manufacturing. Wonder why he didn't do a services version?
    Because he was making a point about manufacturing, not worrying about whether it painted unfavourable pictures for this or that country. Feel free to search for a comparable animation for services.
    Do you feel you provide a service or manufacture something? I would expect it to be the former, but think the latter would be reasonable.
    Definitely only a service. but no export anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Sure. FWIW, I don't think the story was "look at the impact on the UK while everyone else carries on as normal". The acceleration of other manufacturing nations is what I noticed.

£1 of services exports are worth the same as £1 of goods exports, so not sure why they are slicing it up like that rather than looking at the totals.
    I would guess they were trying to say something about manufacturing. As I said, the data was originally from the CIA.
    Maybe, but for an economy that is strong in services like the UK, that could paint a rather unfavourable picture compared to those that are more centred on manufacturing. Wonder why he didn't do a services version?
    Because he was making a point about manufacturing, not worrying about whether it painted unfavourable pictures for this or that country. Feel free to search for a comparable animation for services.
    I
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Can't be bothered. Just questioning the motives that's all.
    I think I've covered that several times now. You're starting to sound as though you have some sort of persecution complex.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Do you feel you provide a service or manufacture something? I would expect it to be the former, but think the latter would be reasonable.
    No idea what your day job actually involves, but I don't understand why architectural designs and models shouldn't be counted as "proper work" aka manufacturing. I get that there is some scepticism over some other services, but think making something virtually still counts as making something. This is just a rant on the side. Perhaps one for the trivial things that annoy me thread.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

No idea what your day job actually involves, but I don't understand why architectural designs and models shouldn't be counted as "proper work" aka manufacturing. I get that there is some scepticism over some other services, but think making something virtually still counts as making something. This is just a rant on the side. Perhaps one for the trivial things that annoy me thread.

Ha. On a bad day I'd gladly swap for the simplicity of digging underpins in the drizzle. I don't think there's really a question of whether it's work; it's just that somebody else constructs the physical object.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Certainly when it comes to engineering services, there's a world of extra potential headaches that come from taking on those final few bits.

Plus there's a little bit of seeing yourself as providing something premium when you offer purely a service.

Having said that we still consider ourselves doing proper work.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I think I've covered that several times now. You're starting to sound as though you have some sort of persecution complex.
    No idea what you're on about. Nobody is persecuting me, I am as I said questioning the motives. Sorry if that annoys you that the message is maybe not quite as bad.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

No idea what you're on about. Nobody is persecuting me, I am as I said questioning the motives. Sorry if that annoys you that the message is maybe not quite as bad.
    Your first thought on seeing it was whether it showed the UK in a good enough light or not, as though it was some sort of attack. Very patriotic of you. 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧. 😏
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Your first thought on seeing it was whether it showed the UK in a good enough light or not, as though it was some sort of attack. Very patriotic of you. 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧. 😏
    No, it just lacked balance due to its obvious omission. No wonder people like you were keen on it and appear to be defending it :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    People like me? Disappointed, Stevo.

It was about manufacturing exports; you're the one twisting this into some inane argument over whether it says nice things about a particular country.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

People like me? Disappointed, Stevo.

It was about manufacturing exports; you're the one twisting this into some inane argument over whether it says nice things about a particular country.

Maybe I should have said people with view like yours. Anyhow, you keep on defending it so I think I have a point.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    IIRC Rotterdam was fully prepared, staffed and trained 2 years ago.
    More fool them. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Decent opportunity for Macron to try and be the new American - EU ally now Britain has left. Only permanent Security Council member who is also member of EU and NATO
  • Decent opportunity for Macron to try and be the new American - EU ally now Britain has left. Only permanent Security Council member who is also member of EU and NATO

Why would he exhaust energy in kidding himself that he has a special relationship?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Decent opportunity for Macron to try and be the new American - EU ally now Britain has left. Only permanent Security Council member who is also member of EU and NATO

Why would he exhaust energy in kidding himself that he has a special relationship?
    He knows that he doesn’t.
    We are kidding ourselves that we do.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

Doesn’t need to be special.

Helps with leverage.
  • Decent opportunity for Macron to try and be the new American - EU ally now Britain has left. Only permanent Security Council member who is also member of EU and NATO

Helps with leverage.
    Leverage with who?
  • rick_chasey

Helps with leverage.
    Leverage with who?
    Germany & EU members & Turkey

Biden will try to keep Obama’s pivot eastwards but Macron has a similar world view.
  • tailwindhome

Helps with leverage.
    Leverage with who?
    Germany & EU members & Turkey

Biden will try to keep Obama’s pivot eastwards but Macron has a similar world view.
    It'll be interesting to see if Obama has a role in a Biden administration.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    So did this get lost in the US Elections?

Note the Source has not distinguished himself much post-2016...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    Some coordination in NI.

Joint First and deputy First Minister issued the following letter which has been welcomed by the trade bodies for retail and freight being shared and explained by the guy from Asda.

TL:DR EU rules for freight are designed for wholesale not retail loads.

• Some coordination in NI.

Joint First and deputy First Minister issued the following letter which has been welcomed by the trade bodies for retail and freight being shared and explained by the guy from Asda.

I am genuinely surprised Asda can make money supplying 17 stores in NI, are all the big chains there?

Could see a few on the High St seeing an opportunity to pull out.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Some coordination in NI.

I am genuinely surprised Asda can make money supplying 17 stores in NI, are all the big chains there?

Have no idea on the store sizes in NI but a typical big box supermarket in UK turns over several hundred £K per week so the turnover for 17 stores will be probably between half and one billion p/a. It’s not peanuts but margins aren’t massive.
  • tailwindhome

Some coordination in NI.

Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco and Lidl.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I did several Tescos in NI back during the big expansion. They're in the Republic too.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Some coordination in NI.

They have electricity and indoor plumbing too.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509

Some coordination in NI.

I was reading about this earlier. Do they often agree on anything?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Some coordination in NI.

They have electricity and indoor plumbing too.
    Can you drink the water?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome

Some coordination in NI.

I was reading about this earlier. Do they often agree on anything?
    Not often, no.

Agreeing on this takes a bit of political 'needle threading'

It's difficult politically for both

DUP need the Protocol implemented painlessly without accepting it's existence

SF can't accept the land border alternative to the Protocol but don't want associated with its painful implementation.

Worth noting it's the DUP who hold the Environment portfolio and are responsible for implementing the border inspection posts.

• tailwindhome