Who is your rider of 2020?

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited November 2020 in Pro race
For me it is Roglic. Sure, Pogacar is alot stronger than Roglic as he can climb at 6.9W/kg. But what impressed me the most about Roglic is that after having faced a huge disappointment by loosing the TdF on the last day to Pogacar, he managed to pick himself up and redeem himself. Most other riders would have ended their season after the TdF. Also, Roglic always was the guy to beat during the 2020 season.

Comments

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited November 2020
    Btw, I had to remove guys like Egan Bernal, Geriant Thomas and Chris Froome from the poll because I can only include 10 options. But I highly doubt that anyone would vote for them.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    edited November 2020
    This will be quite a close poll but roglic'll win despite losing substantial ground to a late flurry of votes for a more interesting candidate.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    You've missed Mathieu van der Poel *and* Dylan Groenewegen.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Got to be Roglic really. I don't love him but his performances put him in a category of his own this year.

WVA in second place I guess, maybe Pogacar to complete the podium.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I went for WvA, thinking that he won Flanders. Doh!

Roglic can't possibly be the rider of the year. His target for the year was to soon the tour, but he didn't.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • WVA.

Strade Bianchi, MSR, two TdF stages, 2nd in both worlds and RVV. That plus the strength of what he did in the TdF.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Well done on starting a sensible thread by the way...

WvA for me. Exceptional Everywhere!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It's comfortably Roglic. His been involved from start to finish in the compacted season. The only time he was outside the top 2 was the Worlds (6th) and an abandon at the Dauphine while leading.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 10-6 in terms of wins to Roglic.
    5-2 in terms of GT stage wins to Roglic.
    2-0 in terms of GC classification wins to Roglic
    2-1 in terms of major classic wins to WvA
    1-0 in terms of GT's won to Roglic

WvA has 2nd places in the Worlds and Flanders.
    Roglic has 2nd place in the Tour.

Has to be Roglic, surely?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    He's a GC riders who didn't win the tour. He therefore isn't the best GC rider and winning LBL doesn't make up for that.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Harsh.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I find his style incredibly dull, but Roglic has won a GT, come second in another, won a monument, 6th at the Worlds, which incidentally was the lowest he's finished in any race this year. Apart from be more exciting, there isn't much more he could have done.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    It would be Roglić, but he’s so boring I can’t bring myself to vote.
  • gsk82
    phreak said:

I find his style incredibly dull, but Roglic has won a GT, come second in another, won a monument, 6th at the Worlds, which incidentally was the lowest he's finished in any race this year. Apart from be more exciting, there isn't much more he could have done.

Apart from win the biggest race of the year.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited November 2020
    gsk82 said:

He's a GC riders who didn't win the tour. He therefore isn't the best GC rider and winning LBL doesn't make up for that.

Using that logic, WvA is a classics rider who didn't win Flanders or the Worlds therefore isn't the best classics rider.
    Winning a couple of Tour stages doesn't make up for that.

In other words, it's about comparing what they won, not what they didn't.
    gsk82 said:

If that's your sole criteria, why haven't you voted for Pogacar?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    WVA for me, his performance supporting Roglic at the Tour was incredible (if he hadn't been from a 'traditional' cycling nation Twitter would have melted from the insinuations) and then excellent in the curtailed Classics and World's as well. Roglic has been very good and makes the most of what he has, a first and second in GTs in the space of a few weeks is quite an achievement. JA also superb but I found his antics a bit weird at times.
  • gsk82

gsk82 said:

Using that logic, WvA is a classics rider who didn't win Flanders or the Worlds therefore isn't the best classics rider.
    Winning a couple of Tour stages doesn't make up for that.

In other words, it's about comparing what they won, not what they didn't.
    gsk82 said:

If that's your sole criteria, why haven't you voted for Pogacar?
    As you know, there isn't a single one day race that determines who the best one day racer is, but there is a grand tour that determines who the best GC rider is. As far as I know WvA want trying to win the tour.

Picking Roglic is like saying a football team doing a cup treble is a better team than the team who won the league.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    WVA for me

But to be honest it’s hard to argue with Roglic as an alternative.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • You can't give it to someone who dresses like this

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm really warming to Roglic. I think people are conflating Jumbo's tactics with Roglic's character. He seems like a proper sportsman with real mental toughness. I like him and don't begrudge any of his wins.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    phreak said:

This 100%. I'm also giving it to him for taking the Tour loss on the chin and coming straight back. I've got a lot of respect for that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Tao of course
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Honary split second to kuss and WvA.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Carapaz rode better than this poll will suggest . Victim of other people's failure imo
  • mididoctors
    What a great year thou . Quite hard to choose . A lot of good names in that short list ...
  • mididoctors

I'm really warming to Roglic. I think people are conflating Jumbo's tactics with Roglic's character. He seems like a proper sportsman with real mental toughness. I like him and don't begrudge any of his wins.

Only rider on two GT podiums this year . Top step of one. la doyenne . And a gazillion stages
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    Some very deserving guys who have kept us all hugely entertained.

Nobody more so than WVA for me. Single-handedly ripped mountain trains apart for Roglic at the Tour yet still found time to take a stage and finish 20th. Was a ridiculous performance.

Add that to the fact that he held his form for pretty much the whole of the season we had. MSR was a good win but he obliterated the whole field at Strade. World Champs medals in both disciplnes and a stage at the Dauphine. He should have won Flanders but the rivalry with MVDP is going to go on and on and on.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    There were some great rides this year . Roglic gets stick for how he rides but he rides to his strengths, he cannot ride away with 2k to go like CF ,he has to leave it to the last few 100m , so what . Maybe he is not a great rider , but he is a bloody good one with now two grand tours on his belt.

. WVA also had a stunning year . But for me the best ride of the year was TGH ride at the giro, given his head only after being mins down on all the big names, he was always the strongest rider in the mountains and didn’t crack under pressure at the end . The other stand out ride of the year for me was R Dennis in the giro helping TGH in the mountains, we have not seen that form from him in years .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    WvA.

No thread required. All other choices are wrong
  • mididoctors
    Hirsch doesn't even get on the list . That's how good a year it is.