it'll be odd not hitting the mute button every time the president speaks
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I think this says it all

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/08/kamala-harris-hates-boris-and-joe-biden-racist-comment-13557121/

Might as well

Kamala Harris ‘hates’ Boris Johnson, with Joe Biden’s team taking a dim view of a comment made by Johnson they believed was racist, it is claimed. Aides close to Biden and Harris, the new vice-president elect, recalled the disgust over a remark the British PM made about Barack Obama in 2016.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    The real fun has not began
    Picture a black female president.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Fair odds of that happening at some point over the next 4 years. Somewhat refreshing prospect.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    orraloon said:

Fair odds of that happening at some point over the next 4 years. Somewhat refreshing prospect.

yep, i'd been thinking the same, may be the only way they'll get a young president
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Have to be honest. I wanted Trump out due to the normalising of toxic behaviour but ultimately have little opinion on US domestic politics as it’s not our choice.

However, despite being glad Trump is gone, Biden isn’t that inspiring. He does stumble over a lot of his words and doesn’t really inspire.

He is a very vanilla character but I guess he is the epitome of an antidote to the tangerine twat.
  • morstar said:

Have to be honest. I wanted Trump out due to the normalising of toxic behaviour but ultimately have little opinion on US domestic politics as it’s not our choice.

However, despite being glad Trump is gone, Biden isn’t that inspiring. He does stumble over a lot of his words and doesn’t really inspire.

He is a very vanilla character but I guess he is the epitome of an antidote to the tangerine censored .

^ This, basically.

However, @morstar you do realise Biden has a stutter don't you?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • morstar

morstar said:

He is a very vanilla character but I guess he is the epitome of an antidote to the tangerine censored .

^ This, basically.

No, but that does explain part of it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    morstar said:

morstar said:

^ This, basically.

No, but that does explain part of it.

Worth watching the snippet of him taking to a young stutterer.
  • rick_chasey
    Fellow stutterer here.

Have to say he doesn’t sound like he has or has had a stutter.

Best example of an ex stutterer is Rowan Atkinson - the way he says Bs especially - is how you’re taught in speech therapy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Good luck to him. He's got a fair bit in his plate and clearly age isn't in his favour given how the job is probably pretty demanding.

I think most people are just glad its not going to be Trump in the White House (soon anyway).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Stevo_666 said:

Good luck to him. He's got a fair bit in his plate and clearly age isn't in his favour given how the job is probably pretty demanding.

I think most people are just glad its not going to be Trump in the White House (soon anyway).

I think the real question is will he even manage to serve a full first term ad, if I'm not mistaken, Kamala Harris didn't do well at all in the primaries. The Daily Mail says she wants to be a 'woke' president though I doubt this having seen her record as a prosecutor. Like most politicians, she'll probably say anything to get elected.
  • nickice
    Stevo_666 said:

Well this is the thing. My dad is four years younger than him, in exceptionally good health and, when he was working, put in very long days. I can't imagine him being able to do that now.
  • rick_chasey
    He’ll struggle to do much with a Republican senate
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Fellow stutterer here.

Best example of an ex stutterer is Rowan Atkinson - the way he says Bs especially - is how you’re taught in speech therapy.

Can't tell if you're doubting the truth of it or not - but it's pretty well known, not a new thing. He has done it a few times during live events too.
  • bobmcstuff
    nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think the real question is will he even manage to serve a full first term ad, if I'm not mistaken, Kamala Harris didn't do well at all in the primaries. The Daily Mail says she wants to be a 'woke' president though I doubt this having seen her record as a prosecutor. Like most politicians, she'll probably say anything to get elected.
    I would probably ignore anything the Daily Mail has to say about Kamala Harris....
  • Stevo_666

True, that won't make the job any easier either.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I am going to remain consistent and say that the “special relationship” is in reality one sided fawning sycophancy so the fact that they know Boris will make no difference to anything.
  • rick_chasey

Fellow stutterer here.

Can't tell if you're doubting the truth of it or not - but it's pretty well known, not a new thing. He has done it a few times during live events too.
    No not doubting it.

Just a comment as someone who knows what to listen for
  • Stevo_666
    nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well this is the thing. My dad is four years younger than him, in exceptionally good health and, when he was working, put in very long days. I can't imagine him being able to do that now.
    Physically it's going to be tough at that age even if he is relatively fit and healthy for his age, as he appears to be. If I am still doing any form of work when I'm his age it'll be part time at best to get a bit of variety etc.

Ronald Reagan was seen as an elderly president but when he left office was actually slightly younger than Biden is now at the start of his time in office.
  • bobmcstuff

The senate isn't a done deal yet as both Georgia seats seem to be heading for a runoff in January.

But assuming it's a Republican senate it will still be very close - they will only need to persuade one or two Republicans to support them to get things through, and there are a few with a history of voting against the party on some issues (Susan Collins in Maine, apparently, for example).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

She got off to a great start, couldn't make further progress then got out at the right time for a shot at VP.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nickice

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

She got off to a great start, couldn't make further progress then got out at the right time for a shot at VP.

She came across as actually being a very strange person (that laugh!). I'm not particularly impressed by her or how she got to where she is today. Still much better than Donald Trump, though.
  • He’ll struggle to do much with a Republican senate

The senate isn't a done deal yet as both Georgia seats seem to be heading for a runoff in January.

But assuming it's a Republican senate it will still be very close - they will only need to persuade one or two Republicans to support them to get things through, and there are a few with a history of voting against the party on some issues (Susan Collins in Maine, apparently, for example).
    But McConnell decides what even gets a vote.
  • pblakeney
    I suspect that he'll be busier than that.
    And doing things that he doesn't want to do and that are out of his control*.

*Unless he manages to grant himself lifetime immunity.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    Any moderates of either side are probably going to be quite concerned about the widening fractures in US society.

If you are a democrat, is there a risk that going after Trump openly is a divisive move. Arguably a back room deal is more palatable.

I personally think him being prosecuted has merit but it risks making him a martyr in the eyes of some/many.

The more interesting story to evolve over coming months is how the Republicans move on from or with the Trump legacy.
  • pblakeney
    I was thinking more personal affairs rather than anything political.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Physically it's going to be tough at that age even if he is relatively fit and healthy for his age, as he appears to be. If I am still doing any form of work when I'm his age it'll be part time at best to get a bit of variety etc.

Ronald Reagan was seen as an elderly president but when he left office was actually slightly younger than Biden is now at the start of his time in office.
    Trump is only a few years younger though and Biden looks significantly fitter. But it is an issue when the choices for the job come down to two white, seventy something males.