Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance Tubeless Set Up

Just fitted unbelievably easily with a track pump, although no cracking onto the rim noise, rims are A Force AL33? Is this normal?

If it is I am a very happy customer!!

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2020
    I've found that they mount very easily on the rims I've tried but I'm not convinced they'd stay on in the event of a blow out of sudden deflation. I think if they're holding air they've probably seated properly regardless of the popping sound that normally accompanies it but maybe you could go a bit higher than your normal pressure to see if that makes them pop on the rim and then reduce back to your usual pressures? I've had a set replaced due to blistering/bubbling of the tread which seems quite common so keep any eye out for this. I'd say they were an average tyre at a reasonable price but nothing special.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I've also found them very easy to mount and usually with a track pump. I'd ride them up and down your road just to ensure they're seated.

I've had a puncture with them before that didn't seal and they remained seated onto the rim.
  • Thanks lads / great advice. I've just taken them round the block and all seems fine. £59 for the pair from Sigma and here's hoping I've found a winter tubeless wonder!!
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    If you use a co2 canister the tyres will ‘pop’ onto the rim.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    edited October 2020
    i've got the non tubeless version and they're amazing
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • So after 10 days or so I am having problems with wheel balance on rear wheel, took the tyre off and found most of the cafe latex sealant had congealed / hardened opposite the valve and stuck to the tyre causing the imbalance.

No obvious sign of puncture and no leaks? Any ideas?
  • shortfall
    edited October 2020
    Did you inflate it with a co2 canister? If so that can freeze the sealant and make it go off. The best thing to do if possible is inflate with a track pump or airshot but if you can't do this then use a co2 to get the bead to pop on the rim, then deflate, add the sealant through the valve and reinflate with your track pump. What you may find now is that once you've removed the clump of congealed latex, is that it's hard to seat the tyre again because tubeless relies on a good seal and removal and refitting stretches the beads.
  • Thanks, they seated with just a track pump so that can't be it. Questioning whether the cafe latex sealant is any good as it has done a similar thing in my MTB tyres. The guys at DCR wheels use Hutchinson sealant and reckon that is very good.

I'm going to invest in an Airshot as despite these teething problems, tubeless in principle seems the way forward due to the lower hassle once all set up properly.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I doubt you have done this but a friend of mine did recently, you haven't left the bike by a radiator or heater have you?
  • shortfall

Thanks, they seated with just a track pump so that can't be it. Questioning whether the cafe latex sealant is any good as it has done a similar thing in my MTB tyres. The guys at DCR wheels use Hutchinson sealant and reckon that is very good.

I'm going to invest in an Airshot as despite these teething problems, tubeless in principle seems the way forward due to the lower hassle once all set up properly.

I use cafe latex and it stays liquid for at least 3 months in my tyres. Bike is stored outside in a cool garage and used regularly except in Winter months.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

I doubt you have done this but a friend of mine did recently, you haven't left the bike by a radiator or heater have you?

Oh sh1t! I often bring a bike in the house near a radiator ,particularly if it has had a wet ride. I recently had a problem with the rim tape and took the tyre off. There was a big lump of congealed sealant stuck to the tyre.
    It did not occur to me that the nice warm radiator had caused the problem.
  • Update - 2 p*nct*res in 2 days....1st didn't seal. Second did but very low pressure. Pushed a worm in but would only hold approx 25PSI.

Maybe it's bad luck but I haven't had back to back p*nct*res in years.
  • Update - 2 p*nct*res in 2 days....1st didn't seal. Second did but very low pressure. Pushed a worm in but would only hold approx 25PSI.

Maybe it's bad luck but I haven't had back to back p*nct*res in years.

I've used a few Hutch tyres and Mavic (made by Hutch)... not had a lot of luck with them either, they did seem to puncture rather a lot...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Had my first puncture in over a year with a Mavic Yskion yesterday. Hit a pothole where I've ridden many times. Stans blew out and no chance of sealing.
    Put a tube in to get home.

Checked tyre and cannot find any penetration hole. Tube staying in.
    Frank Yates
  • Took off the Hutchinson's and put back on some old GP4000's with some latex tubes and had a lovely ride today.

Beginning to think this tubeless malarkey is a bit of a faff...