Rear Mech Hanger - replacement

Just snapped the rear mech hanger on my Principia Rex e eclipse - a hard worked frame that has been abroad, road raced and in the current bad weather it is acting as turbo steed.
I recall seeing comments way back somewhere from some people that these hangers were made from the metallic equivalent of cheese but mine has(d) survived pretty well until tonight.
I've removed the remaining parts and have discovered a couple of ebay sellers that seem to have the appropriate ones : one is a Pilo and the other a CNC Upgrade version. I wonder whether there is any worth in the upgraded version ?
Seems it is a CNC115 / D115 model.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not speaking from experience here, but is an upgraded hanger a good thing? It's a sacrificial part designed to break to save the frame. So stronger does not necessarily equal better. And upgraded to make it break more easily wouldn't make sense either. So does it just look prettier and cost more?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    edited November 2020

Not speaking from experience here, but is an upgraded hanger a good thing? It's a sacrificial part designed to break to save the frame. So stronger does not necessarily equal better. And upgraded to make it break more easily wouldn't make sense either. So does it just look prettier and cost more?

Y, that's something I'm wondering, I think the Pilo ones are decent enough, the hanger is pretty thin material hence why some people may have indicated the originals being krappy so here maybe a stronger one might have been useful but on the other hand the original lasted about 15 years so I'm now heading in the direction of not fitting a stronger one.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Pilo hangers are fine. As you say, there’s no point in buying an “upgraded” hanger.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Cheers - Pilo hanger ordered and on it's way hopefully.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    The only "upgrade" for a hanger I can think of is if you buy a CNC hanger rather than a cast version.

There is probably better quality control on a machined (CNC) item than a cast.