Ian Stannard retires

Just seen on Ineos instagram page - due to rheumatoid arthritis.

Will never forget his win over the 3 QS in the 2015 Oomloop

Poor guy.

Comments

• nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Agreed. He never really hit the heights of 2014-2016 (actually even 2016 Paris-Roubaix was more about being in the right place at the right time) so, I wonder if this is connected.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Such a shame. hope it doesn't overly affect his daily activities.
    Thanks for the memories Yogi!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,516
    nickice said:

Agreed. He never really hit the heights of 2014-2016 (actually even 2016 Paris-Roubaix was more about being in the right place at the right time) so, I wonder if this is connected.

i don’t intend to be inflammatory, but i’m interested in more on view regarding 2016
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

nickice said:

i don’t intend to be inflammatory, but i’m interested in more on view regarding 2016
    I'm not saying he didn't ride a good race. I just think Paris-Roubaix is one of those races where the stars can align especially when you look at some of the surprise winners over the years.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,638
    edited November 2020
    Stannard had the benefit of a bang in form Luke Rowe put in a huge effort for him, as he'd crashed and chased back on so knew he wouldn't make the final.

That being said, he has had a stellar career and should not be disappointed in the slightest. 2013 Milan San Remo was my favourite performance by him (I'm a Boonen fan so was slightly gutted about Het Volk, although still impressed)
  • That 2015 heist is still one of my favourite cycling moments ever. Can remember laughing like a loon for about five minutes afterwards - it was just so utterly ridiculous. Shame he's having to retire, but he deserves every bit of praise he receives in reaction to it.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    Oufff bloody awful condition. Very British roadman vibe about his career. Not sure what that is but it sounds right
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Yeah that was one of best races I can remember watching, just waiting for OPS to start working him over and the awesome way it panned out - saw him riding on Zwift at the start of Lockdown 1 so dropped him a quick fanboi DM to say so.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

That 2015 heist is still one of my favourite cycling moments ever. Can remember laughing like a loon for about five minutes afterwards - it was just so utterly ridiculous. Shame he's having to retire, but he deserves every bit of praise he receives in reaction to it.

he's been a decent presence in bike racing, and showed that he had the measure of other world class talents. i actually prefer his win over terpstra because well, its terpstra. but was in a bar in kortrijk on the day he battered these 3 in 2015.

been away from the sharp end for a little while now but will be missed.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Real shame, proper old school cyclist. If he'd been Belgian he would probably have been a proper folk hero.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 463
    Awesome rider, complete unsung hero.

Wonder if they’ll offer him a DS spot.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited November 2020
    Hope he gets good treatment for the condition , Autoimmune stuff is tricky.

Saw get him -get his last win in TOB - on a wet day ( obv!) . Motoring along pulling nils Pollet and rest of the break along . Strong man , shame for him but its not like he hasn’t some nice memories and got a PR podium. The broken back at Ghent Wevelgem slowed his career down perhaps. Any way I hope he has good retirement in whatever comes in the next half.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    oh i hadnt realised it was for medical reasons that sucks and he's so young as well
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.