Your rants here.

1577578579580581583»

Comments

• Wasn't sure where to post this news article, but here might do...

Lorry firm S&J Transport ordered to close, following death of Dr Suzanns Bull on her bike in 2017, because the driver had a tray on his dashboard blocking the view... And the firm were aware of the driver's practice of doing this!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54029112
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Wasn't sure where to post this news article, but here might do...

Lorry firm S&J Transport ordered to close, following death of Dr Suzanns Bull on her bike in 2017, because the driver had a tray on his dashboard blocking the view... And the firm were aware of the driver's practice of doing this!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54029112

It just makes me feel very sad that the plain stupidity of the driver and his employer has cost this woman her life.
    All the crap blocking his view would have to be removed for the vehicle to pass its annual test.
    I suppose S&J Transport will now be trading under another name .
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited November 2020
    First day out on a Faux Commute and i'm taken out by some twunt who thought passing someone with less than 5cm distance ( and forgetting that wing mirrors jutted out further) , but blamed me because i didn't move out of his way when he blew his horn just as he reached the 3 quartering position as i kept my road position ( secondary) to avoid hitting a pot hole.
    Ended up leaning up against his van as they passed, before refusing to give me insurance details on the basis that "he had somewhere to be and didn't have time for this sh1t".
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

First day out on a Faux Commute and i'm taken out by some twunt who thought passing someone with less than 5cm distance ( and forgetting that wing mirrors jutted out further) , but blamed me because i didn't move out of his way when he blew his horn just as he reached the 3 quartering position as i kept my road position ( secondary) to avoid hitting a pot hole.
    Ended up leaning up against his van as they passed, before refusing to give me insurance details on the basis that "he had somewhere to be and didn't have time for this censored ".

Have you got his licence plate details or video?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    elbowloh said:

Have you got his licence plate details or video?

yes
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited November 2020
    Ok, so fattening the Curve has just taken it's toll on the bike and gone and snapped 2 spokes on the rear.

Sigh

Well, probably business heading in the direction of @thecycleclinic then...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Balls. Wheel is toast - a professional looking over it to replace the spokes has spotted 4 cracks in the rim. The hope that it would last until the a set of handbuilts were delivered isn't happening, so it's back to the MTB for the foreseeable.
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited January 2021
    Taking a weak primary to make it clear I'm not using the 55cm wide murderstrip (sorry, useless painted cycle lane) so sitting about 1.4m away from the kerb on a 3.3m wide lane, approaching a pedestrian island 20metres ahead, heading up hill, and i'm at "haven't ridden this or any other hills for about 3 months" level of fitness, so slowish.

Realise that someone on an e-bike has just joined the road and travelling in my direction, and heading with some speed, and that a WVM driver is still going to try for the overtake before the island, and the other rider decides to gun it, looking to undertake up the inside at the ped island point, just as WVM driver starts pulling across into me, pushing me left - into the rider who's now undertaking...

Slap the side of the WV who slams on the brakes, and shout at the e-bike rider, who i realise has headphones in and singing away to his hearts content, and is completely oblivious to the **** he's just pulled and just rides away without a care in the world.

WV driver wound down the window and decided to have a shouting match at me for not being considerate and using the cycle lane like the other rider.

Welcome to 2021.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    At least here the cycle lanes have either been removed or are covered in so much mud/rocks/branches that WVM cannot see that they are there and say the same.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Another ride to work, another day of being knocked off and watching your bike going for a beautiful 360 degree in-air piroutte as you land on the road...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

Another ride to work, another day of being knocked off and watching your bike going for a beautiful 360 degree in-air piroutte as you land on the road...

Are you okay?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    itboffin said:

Are you okay?
    Just another set of bruises and broken bike bits...

Turns out to avoid driving over a pothole and damaging her car, she thought she'd pull left in the cyclist she was still overtaking at the time.. :#
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Glad to hear you’re okay, I have to say even down here in the boons drivers seem to be way more aggressive these days it’s getting a bit scary on the back lanes as a result, I got close passed three times today when there was plenty of room, the increasing number of potholes makes keeping a straight line very hard and therefore dangerous in traffic
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Oh FFS!!!! Glad it's just bruises wb2k. Hope you don't feel too rough in the morning.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Glad you're not too badly hurt Wolfy. The last few months I've seen lots of close passes and dangerous overtakes by drivers and concluded that most people round here (North downs) don't know how to drive around cyclists, even though there are loads here. It's either that or they're just impatient cnuts.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    Ah, the bruises are coming out and the muscles were damn sore this morning :anguished:
    the LBS can't look at the bike for about a week either since they are swamped with the £50 fix-it vouchers from the goverment, so i actually have no working bike i can ride...

Which is annoying, as there are some good challenges on that there strava right now.
  • Another ride to work, another day of being knocked off and watching your bike going for a beautiful 360 degree in-air piroutte as you land on the road...

Sorry to read about this, hope you have nothing but minor injuries that will heal quick and the numpty who did this to you has provided insurance details to get your bike sorted.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited April 2021
    Cheers all. Insurance details were exchanged, just waiting for the really big lump on my hip to come out in pretty colours now...

It's also a real shame that the local brewery's delivery service deliver such effective painkillers to the door in liquid form...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Puncture... fixed, now brakes rubbing.... fixed, now front mech won't go into the big dog... fixed and only 20mins late for work.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    figured out why the front mech wasn't working properly 2 weeks ago..... complete fail last night and a very spinny journey home

• tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199

figured out why the front mech wasn't working properly 2 weeks ago..... complete fail last night and a very spinny journey home

Oops. I've had the reverse before - finding out the hard way at the bottom of an ascent out of town that I was stuck in the big ring. I must have looked like an old fat slo-mo version of Cadel Evans.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I had to search out the rants thread for this. I've just heard that Chris Martin has said Coldplay will stop releasing music in 2025. JesusHfuckingChrist!!! Why can't they just stop now? This is like setting environmental targets for 20 or 30 years in the future, just pull your finger out and do something about it now. Honestly, FFS!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Bet he doesn’t.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

I had to search out the rants thread for this. I've just heard that Chris Martin has said Coldplay will stop releasing music in 2025. JesusHfuckingChrist!!! Why can't they just stop now? This is like setting environmental targets for 20 or 30 years in the future, just pull your finger out and do something about it now. Honestly, FFS!

We just had a good laugh about this, and then "WAC". It's peak Chris Martin to say that he decides when we stop listening to his music. It's like "sorry, I know how much you love our trite nonsense, but we're only giving you three more years".

WAC
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited March 2022
    Watched a friend as they reviewed the video from an incident on a road I know and used to ride fairly frequently. Suffice to say if i could have jumped out of my skin, i did; instead i just jumped 2m away and bit my tongue.

The piece of driving was absolutely atrocious, and very similar to me getting hit by a driver doing similar.

Guess the PTSD isn't has gone as I thought to myself it was :fearful:
  • langtounboy
    langtounboy Posts: 55
    Teenager cycling in the same direction on the opposite side of the cycle path which is separated by 5m of grass; suddenly decides to veer across in front of me. I brake shout a warning and immediately get a torrent of abuse about 'I should have shouted louder' followed by a load of swear words disputing my parentage etc. I'm sure it was nothing to do with the headphones he had on or not looking before swerving over.
    This continued until he could no longer keep up or i was out of earshot.

I'd guess he has never passed his 'Cycling proficiency' :D
    JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
    Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
    Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
    Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    edited May 2022
    Drivers seem to be allowing more space recently when passing so I was even more annoyed when I was close-passed a couple of days ago. I'd just crested a steep bridge over the motorway and I guess the fool coming up behind assumed, without being able to see, that there'd be nothing coming the other way. Of course there was another vehicle and in avoiding it he (maybe she) got as close as possible to me. I am amazed my pedals didn't scrape the side of the car and I was able to give a very loud shout out before it got past me. Nothing coherent just the loudest noise I could make - I take pride in being able to shout very loudly. The next driver to pass, just afterwards, left me a hectare and half of space.

• wolfsbane2k
    edited May 2022
    Grah Garmin, can't you design and build something properly? After seeing the patent application i thought i'd hold of the purchase of a Varia and Fly 12CE...

For goodness sake, that's depressing, especially given the price tag. Crap app i'd expect, but the lack of any stabilisation is bonkers.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/05/garmin-rct715-varia-rearview-bikelight-radar-camera-review.html
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    On my way home from another grueling day at the spreadsheet face, I decided to take advantage of the kind offer of a free bakery item from the app of a popular German supermarket chain. Not much was left but a cinnamon iced swirl bun thingy looked appealing and was duly acquired as a little sweet treat for the walk back to my car.
    Upon leaving said establishment I took my prize from its plastic shell with great anticipation and took my first bite - lovely.
    Another step , and WHAM!! it was gone. A classic ambush tactic. I was the victim of literal daylight robbery and my attacker seemed to take great pleasure in consuming my treat in front of me there in the carpark with 2 friends.
    Bastard Brighton Seagulls