thursday in the wasteland

'ning

nippy ride, probably back to standing outside cafe instead of sitting outside cafe, because chairs cause covid, bit of wfh, lot of lazing
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, another cold one clear skies at least we should see some more sunshine, bike ride, picking more Leaves up ,gardening, Vuelta probably in that order
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Good parenting oxo

No run this morning as back is playing up, think it’s nervous about forthcoming event.

Later is MIL staying, so if back can take it MIL avoidance with a run
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    nippy and foggy, vapour condensing on shiny bike, a few cafes daring the rozzers by having tables and chairs outside

roads seem a smidge quieter
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Dull here.
    Must go inspect loft.
    Ebay buyer didn't pay so have to relist item. Grrrr.
    So much to do, so little inclination.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Got jobs to work through, could WFH but its very unproductive.
    Run later I think.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Morning of taxi duty for mother, into town to see the accountant about tax. Major traffic holdup on the bridge to the city, turned out to be a single (lady) cyclist had crashed badly on the path somehow, requiring police and ambulance and had closed lanes for 2 hours. Gridlock ensued.

Made me late for an otherwise pleasant long lunch and wine tasting at local vineyard cellar door/restaurant.

Long walk this evening to compensate.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Had lots of fog this morning, now we have some morons on quad bikes going round the woods being chased by police so thats fun! (Woods a Covid closed).
    Mainly being bored today first day of lockdown I agreed to take a slight role change in so much I now have zero work to do but I still get full pay.

May go faff in the garden all this rain of late has clogged the drainage channels we dug in last year I think, or I could faff in the garage, choices galore.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

Morning of taxi duty for mother, into town to see the accountant about tax. Major traffic holdup on the bridge to the city, turned out to be a single (lady) cyclist had crashed badly on the path somehow, requiring police and ambulance and had closed lanes for 2 hours. Gridlock ensued.

Single vehicle collision or something more untoward? Hope she's OK. How did you find out that she was single?
    sungod said:

nippy and foggy, vapour condensing on shiny bike, a few cafes daring the rozzers by having tables and chairs outside

roads seem a smidge quieter

Just had to go over to Engerland and traffic seemed about normal up here, many cafes and bakeries open but no seating.
    Rozzers saw all the cars parked up on the main road for the park, did a U turn and joined them - probably to go to the burger van.

Two women pulled up and sat on the wall I was trying to survey to drink their fancy coffees. "This wall looks a bit dangerous" one said to the other, then sat on it anyway.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    Afternoon All,

Woken up by the sound of traffic - very un-lockdown although we live not far from a primary school. Busy day with long meetings - survived the one with HMRC quite well though. Bagged another watch bargain, hopefully they'll ship it before they realise that they underpriced it - Xmas pressie to myself for being a good boy :)

Bit more emailing then I think I deserve a drink...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

Woken up by the sound of traffic - very un-lockdown although we live not far from a primary school. Busy day with long meetings - survived the one with HMRC quite well though. Bagged another watch bargain, hopefully they'll ship it before they realise that they underpriced it - Xmas pressie to myself for being a good boy :)

Ooh watch, what did you get? Managed to catch my new watch on my rucksack strap last week ripping it off my wrist onto a tile floor. £400 for a new crystal and service 😫
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    What is this thing with watches? So last century, and the one before, and the one before that...

Last working day of the week. Sunny again tomorrow = bike ride. Did a lot of pyracantha hedge dropping, down to 3 metres!, for this lovely old dear client who I've done seasonal work for for years, bless her. Mega load of offcuts to the green waste recycling centre aka tip. Got there expecting a long wait. Eh no, deserted, there was one other car there... eh wot?
  • thistle_
    orraloon said:

What is this thing with watches? So last century, and the one before, and the one before that...

I've only recently started wearing one. It's a Garmin one and it's less hassle than putting on a HRM strap and taking my phone and wallet every time I go out running/riding. I've even used it for telling the time every now and then.
    orraloon said:

Mega load of offcuts to the green waste recycling centre aka tip. Got there expecting a long wait. Eh no, deserted, there was one other car there... eh wot

Everyone else was expecting long queues so didn't bother going?

Our has been rammed since it reopened after lockdown 1.0. Not sure why because although they're limiting numbers on site at once, it's about the same as would normally be there unloading anyway. There seem to be an awful lot of pickup trucks and builders vans there now, even though they check you're local and apparently don't allow commercial vehicles on the site.

• Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Yeah I know, bit of a geeky hobby and my old G Shock does way more, but each to their own - Male jewellery and all that. They are nice though B)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

Ooh watch, what did you get? Managed to catch my new watch on my rucksack strap last week ripping it off my wrist onto a tile floor. £400 for a new crystal and service 😫
    Got an IWC 'Big Pilot' - left handers version (that's the only lefty thing about me :p ). Pretty rare and the Tokyo watch emporium that was selling it didn't seem to be able to get shot of it locally.
  • orraloon

There seem to be an awful lot of pickup trucks and builders vans there now, even though they check you're local and apparently don't allow commercial vehicles on the site.

You know that thing we all used to use called Cash, I think it was. Wasn't it 'paper money', came in £5, £10, £20 even £50 I believe 'notes'?

I have a pickup plus a permit for n visits per year. Now n-1.

Over summer and into autumn one of my longer Sunday ride routes would take me past a recycling centre out in the countryside between towns. There have been massive queues there. Maybe people think they are closed again so will just flytip instead. W@nkers.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

VTech used to say that you could tell a lot about a man by the watch he wears.
    He was right. You are a clumsy fecker.
  • Stevo_666

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

It was either that or over enthusiastic w@nking that caused the accident.
  • thistle_
    orraloon said:

There seem to be an awful lot of pickup trucks and builders vans there now, even though they check you're local and apparently don't allow commercial vehicles on the site.

You know that thing we all used to use called Cash, I think it was. Wasn't it 'paper money', came in £5, £10, £20 even £50 I believe 'notes'?

I have a pickup plus a permit for n visits per year. Now n-1.
    Not sure how it works here.

There's a huge sign when you go in saying no asbestos, no commercial vehicles but the staff don't seem bothered and the address/id checks are only a post covid thing.

The sites here are run on a PFI basis, so I expect the operator gets a certain amount per tonne of waste they receive or get to keep the revenue from any recycleables they sell on, so no incentive to turn anyone away.

• Just ridden through Derby City Centre to find the "Old Bill" turfing drinkers out of a pub not abiding by the lockdown rules. Far too many people don't seem to be getting the message.

Anyway, had a mental few days with deliveries through work, absolutely sky-rocketed, so all the jobs I cut last month are likely to be gained again, at least temporarily, as we look to shore up our East Midlands depots with more bikes and staff.

Beyond that, not a lot happening. The OH is in for another night shift, Childrens A&E, having done adults A&E last night. Think she is getting really pi$$ed off with adults A&E, far too many dickheads coming through the doors, especially with C19 cases rising rapidly in the city, but staffing levels are hard to maintain as so many staff are self-isolating, so she feels obliged to accept shifts. She's already due in again on Saturday and Sunday night as it is and isn't getting enough of a break as the workload intensifies. It breaks my heart to see her running herself into the ground, but the whole system is creaking under the strain.

Looking on the bright side I've got a weekend of house painting to do along with a plethora of other maintenance tasks around the house. Lucky me :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

Wrist physio if you don't mind :D
  • Morning of taxi duty for mother, into town to see the accountant about tax. Major traffic holdup on the bridge to the city, turned out to be a single (lady) cyclist had crashed badly on the path somehow, requiring police and ambulance and had closed lanes for 2 hours. Gridlock ensued.

Single vehicle collision or something more untoward? Hope she's OK. How did you find out that she was single?

There are shared walk / bike path either side, separated from traffic altogether, but they’re really narrow and can be slippy surface. It gets windy up there, and there’s little room for mistakes at all. No vehicles involved, and she’d crashed somehow about 2/3 down from the apex. Given the emergency service response, I gather injuries were significant, probably smacked her head into some barriers I’d guess as there’s really no space to crash “safely”. 🙁
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

You never wear a watch on your “wrist physio” arm to avoid accidents.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

Ahh Vtech, bless his cotton socks, wonder where he is now and if he’s allowed visitors 🤣
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

Ahh Vtech, bless his cotton socks, wonder where he is now and if he’s allowed visitors 🤣
    Just go on the Piston heads website and ask around.

What Fob watch have you got Stevo?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

I'd rather watch paint dry, talking of which...
    Presumably there are people on there that know about cars and see through his BS.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

What Fob watch have you got Stevo?
    One of these:

https://youtu.be/cSKGWaOhFEk

Still in Japan at the mo.
  • seanoconn
    Cool, is this the show off thread. Here’s mine, came with a free naked lady.

• orraloon
    seanoconn said:

POIDH. 😉
  • pinno

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Afternoon All,

I'd rather watch paint dry, talking of which...
    Presumably there are people on there that know about cars and see through his BS.
    Oh yes and victims of his engine tuning f*ck ups too.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Nice, although I've always wondered why they named it after a bag of crisps :)

Is the naked lady offer still on?