Yoann Offredo beaten up whilst out training

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited April 2017 in Pro race
wtf? baseball bat and knife = broken nose, fractured rib, multiple bruising?? That's a very serious assault - out training with two mates - it doesn't seem real?

J'ai commencé le vélo a l'âge de 12 ans avec toute l'insouciance qui va avec. J'étais loin de me douter que de cette passion allait naître un métier, celui de coureur cycliste.
J'étais loin aussi de me douter que j'allais au cours de ma carrière rencontrer des gens magiques, qui pour certains partirons bien trop tôt.
J'étais loin aussi d'imaginer que ce métier serait si dangereux.
J'étais loin aussi d'imaginer qu'exercer mon métier serait parfois au péril de ma vie.
Aujourd'hui victime d'une agression,à base de lame de cuter et batte de baseball lors d'un entraînement avec deux amis ...Résultat: un nez fracturé, une côte dans un sale état et des hématomes sur tout le corps,mais au delà des blessures physiques, je suis surtout choqué.

but more than the the physical injuries I am more shocked (that this could happen)

Je ne suis pas en colère, je suis juste triste de constater que ce beau sport que j'aime, je n'ai pas envie que mes enfants le pratique...trop dangereux.
Tu pars le matin pour l'entraînement, mais tu ne sais jamais si tu vas rentrer.
Juste triste de constater, que dans le pays des droits de l'Homme, les droits des cyclistes on les ignores.

F kin animals

18119527_10155315970448680_5130379073264738968_n.jpg?oh=c8991c7817982bd88d7e28a1c703a95a&oe=5989981A

18157759_10155315970488680_6759892735680750628_n.jpg?oh=cd6b256a48b73a3594af5a057490f338&oe=5983880E

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Was there a robbery or anything or an assault for no reason? Seems very odd.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    That's really weird. Excuse my cynicism, but I think there's more to that than meets the eye...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    That's really weird. Excuse my cynicism, but I think there's more to that than meets the eye...
    Read he was out on a training ride and this happened to him. Could be a case of road rage, there's very few details at the moment
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    sherer wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Read he was out on a training ride and this happened to him. Could be a case of road rage, there's very few details at the moment

Most likely you'd think, got into an argument with the wrong people. If it was someone with a grudge a training ride with two others would be an unlikely place to settle it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Has happened to me before.

Guy clipped my elbow with his wing mirror. When I protested he tried to run me over, then cornered me, got out, pushed me off and kicked me on the ground untill someone pulled him off me.

3 broken ribs.

Just happens sometimes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Has happened to me before.

Guy clipped my elbow with his wing mirror. When I protested he tried to run me over, then cornered me, got out, pushed me off and kicked me on the ground untill someone pulled him off me.

3 broken ribs.

Just happens sometimes.

Jesus Rick glad someone was there to help at least. There are some people in this world who just can't control their anger and others who are psychos who actually enjoy violence and hurting people.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    You'd be less sympathetic if you met me ;)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    People annoyed he didn't make the top ten in the last PR?

Probably a road rage from the sound of the incident - maybe a driver slowed down for a millisecond by pros riding 2 abreast? The incident was near Versailles on the park roads, not usually somewhere where people are driving like idiots but the roads are quite narrow.

People who carry baseball bats and cutters in their car are very dangerous. I must say, and figures bare this out, that driving standards have gone down a lot under the Hollande presidency with his laxist attitude to crime.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    This isn't another Ryan Lochte moment is it?

scars on his arm looks months old at least
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Crozza wrote:
    This isn't another Ryan Lochte moment is it?

scars on his arm looks months old at least

Isn't a scar, more like bruising/swelling after taking a shot.
  • rick_chasey
    davidof wrote:
    driving standards have gone down a lot under the Hollande presidency with his laxist attitude to crime.

This is not the direction I expected the thread to go.
  • davidof wrote:
    driving standards have gone down a lot under the Hollande presidency with his laxist attitude to crime.

This is not the direction I expected the thread to go.

:shock:
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Looks like Yoann isn't Offredo a bit of a confrontation.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Crampeur wrote:
    Looks like Yoann isn't Offredo a bit of a confrontation.
    Hat!

Road bikes and cars will just never be friends. Planning should try and get more people on bikes and then make some roads and routes bike only and others car only.

German drivers tend to be nice enough when they are behind you and give you as wide a berth as they can usually, but when they aren't directly behind you they tend to not even remotely consider the possibility of a bicycle crossing their path. Münster and possibly Bonn/Cologne being the only exceptions.

My initial thought reading this story was, that there must be a gambling or girl issue at the core of this. Maybe just road rage though.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    The latest article about this online over at The Comic is priceless; well not the article per se, the comments.
    An article which talks about an extreme case of car/bike rage leads to an aggressive exchange between armchair warriors. What a world we live in, eh?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The latest article about this online over at The Comic is priceless; well not the article per se, the comments.
    An article which talks about an extreme case of car/bike rage leads to an aggressive exchange between armchair warriors. What a world we live in, eh?
    I try to avoid reading the comments on there. Soooo many tw@ts!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    M.R.M. wrote:

Road bikes and cars will just never be friends. Planning should try and get more people on bikes and then make some roads and routes bike only and others car only.

Like motorways and cycle paths?

If you like road riding, then trying to encourage the banning of bikes from roads seems a little short-sighted.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    That is not what I meant. I meant turning some roads that for example run parallel to other larger roads in the same direction into pure cycling roads. Offsetting the added congestion to the car roads by having more people ride bikes.

Cycling paths work fine, if you have them, if they aren't completely filled with people walking 2-4 abreast (mainly on sunny days), if those people don't have dogs on a leash running across, if those people don't have dogs or children off the leash running around, if those cycle paths are paved, etc. etc.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Saw this posted on another website
    http://www.eurosport.fr/cyclisme/l-agre ... tory.shtml

Those more acquainted with French will be able to translate it better, but google suggests the driver's is unsurprisingly quite a different story to Offredo's.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Driver doesn't like cyclists in front of them and gives them grief, they don't like it when the cyclist gives them grief back and decides to beat them up. And it's all the cyclist's fault... :roll:

Only issue is Offredo probably shouldn't have sworn at them. I used to do this. Now I take great pleasure at stopping and responding to aggressive car drivers with extreme politeness. My last Audi estate driving older gent was left telling me to "go back to Hampstead"...
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    Driver doesn't like cyclists in front of them and gives them grief, they don't like it when the cyclist gives them grief back and decides to beat them up. And it's all the cyclist's fault... :roll:

Only issue is Offredo probably shouldn't have sworn at them. I used to do this. Now I take great pleasure at stopping and responding to aggressive car drivers with extreme politeness. My last Audi estate driving older gent was left telling me to "go back to Hampstead"...

In fairness Dish, when I was out riding with you, when that women on the dual carriage way honked, stopped and reversed to shout at us, you didn't necessarily need to go up to the window and square up to her, polite or not.

One day it'll be someone with a baseball bat, and although you're bigger than me, you're not that big :P.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    dish_dash wrote:

In fairness Dish, when I was out riding with you, when that women on the dual carriage way honked, stopped and reversed to shout at us, you didn't necessarily need to go up to the window and square up to her, polite or not.

One day it'll be someone with a baseball bat, and although you're bigger than me, you're not that big :P.

ja ja
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    If you listen to music when you're riding you can't hear the abuse. Much better.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Various hand gestures gives it away unfortunately. Once I had a Mo Farah gesture towards me, guessing it wasn't a heart though!?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Saw this posted on another website

Those more acquainted with French will be able to translate it better, but google suggests the driver's is unsurprisingly quite a different story to Offredo's.

What did I say, aggressive driver who passed too close because he objects to riders riding 2 abreast, then cuts up the riders because in his hurry to speed past he missed a red light.

Then the driver admits using 2 different offensive weapons against the rider before punching him in the face.

"When he called me the son of a bitch I didn't like it, that's when I broke his nose" - so now he admits assault. Not the brightest idea to do this on national radio, I hope he has a good lawyer.

He goes on to whinge about cyclists not knowing the highway code, which seems to be his excuse for assaulting some random riders. He himself admits to not leaving the 1.5 meters gap as advised by the highway code.

C0rorCJXgAQVZbO.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    dish_dash wrote:

To be fair, that's pretty tame compared to what comes out of my mouth when I get aggressive drivers shouting at me...

I try to stay to the gravel and offroad routes on my way to work, it's just not worth it arguing with people but in the heat of the moment I find it hard to be logical sometimes...
  • davidof wrote:
    Saw this posted on another website

What did I say, aggressive driver who passed too close because he objects to riders riding 2 abreast, then cuts up the riders because in his hurry to speed past he missed a red light.

Then the driver admits using 2 different offensive weapons against the rider before punching him in the face.

"When he called me the son of a ***** I didn't like it, that's when I broke his nose" - so now he admits assault. Not the brightest idea to do this on national radio, I hope he has a good lawyer.

He goes on to whinge about cyclists not knowing the highway code, which seems to be his excuse for assaulting some random riders. He himself admits to not leaving the 1.5 meters gap as advised by the highway code.

A Le Pen voter
  • Forced into retirement due to an ankle injury.

Sounds desperately sad

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/offredo-forced-into-retirement-and-struggling-to-come-to-terms-with-it/
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited November 2020
    Yes , but in a way he sounds aware enough to know why he’s down / feeling low and his body is rebounding a little from lack of focus and emotionally missing the drive and hormones fro mega hard training and racing, that he may have to loose a bit more of this to then bounce back to lower but acceptable balance . Well hopefully . Plus insomnia is a bastard and its hard to think clearly when in this state.