Warm Winter Cycling Gear

Has anyone got any good recommendations for warm winter cycling gear?

I live in Glasgow and spent the last few winters freezing my arse off. My current kit (mostly morvelo and rapha) is tolerable, but I’m definitely not warm.

Anyone got any stand out kit?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Guess it depends on what you already have, more details please?
    These companies produce some items that are (arguably) as good as you'll get.
    You either need other items (possibly from other manufacturers) or more layers.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    edited October 2020
    I've tried various configurations over the years. A soft shell Gore Phantom2 was very good but often resulted in overheating as the ride got longer.

My current favoured combo is a Castelli Perfetto jacket over a medium weight merino base-layer (Tog24 IIRC). That's good down to freezing in East Lothian.

Keeping the extremities warm is important for comfort so consider winter boots Northwave do some good Goretex ones.

Warm gloves for the hands/fingers - find a pair with good air trapping insulation.

A fleece beanie under the helmet is also advisable. The Rapha merino one is also good.

Layering is the best approach and use a buff to protect the exposed skin around the neck.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I'll be fitting pogies to all the work bikes this week ready for the start of winter.
    Got to keep the staff happy.
    Nothing worse than cold/wet hands when working outside all day.

As for normal road riding, we're all different and have varying tolerances to inclement weather. I work outdoors most of the time, so usually wear cargo shorts right through the winter, long enough to keep my knees covered, but I enjoy a bit of bracing air on my lower legs (ooer)! Upper half will be an merino t-shirt, sometimes with a long sleeved merino shirt underneath and if it's wet an Endura jacket or if it's wet and cold a Buffalo Systems active shirt. Not recommended for trying to break your local KOM, but essential in my line of work where you spend as much time off the bike, as on.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Start with a warm head, warm hands and warm feet. So a skull cap or thicker material casquette with ear flaps, shoecovers (Defeet are easily the best) and gloves that don't hold water when wet.

Then you want to be layering. LS base layer (merino, perhaps), LS jersey (one designed for lower temps and not just summer weight with long, UV protection sleeves) and a gilet. Swap the gilet for a jacket if it's a bit colder.

Your legs do all the work so tend to stay warmer more easily, IME. I can get through most of winter in year-round bibs with leg- or kneewarmers. On the colder days, a pair of roubaix lined 3/4s or full tights.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    OP, I've just noticed you're in Glasgow, surely a Rab C Nesbitt string vest and knotted handkerchief on the head should suffice?

Thought they bred them hard up there.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    "Up" there? Glasgow is the soft south... mild and sheltered for the most part. OK so it rains a bit.

But seriously OP, Ben has it covered (pun intended) - extremities first, then layer up.

The brands you mention are undoubtedly good but you don't need to spend a fortune - most of my kit is picked up when Lidl or Aldi are doing their cycling specials and it keeps me warm in freezing or cold and wet conditions just fine.

My personal preference is not to worry about getting wet - I sweat so much in waterproof gear, even breathable, that it never seems worth it - but have enough layers to stay warm. YMMV.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited November 2020
    DhB Aeron Roubaix suits me. This month: long sleeve jersey, matching gilet with 3/4 bibs and baggie 3/4s on top.
    I have their Aeron full protection softshell and full length roubaix tights for when it gets colder and more relentless with the rain or wind - that may suit your current conditions.
    Currently using an artificial fibre base, but have Endura BaaBaa for when it gets colder still. Love the BaaBaa range, they have thin merino socks that will slip under most other socks without making the shoes to tight.
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    https://www.freewheel.co.uk/promo/madison-clothing-roadrace

ROADRACE30 gets 30% off the madison clobber in the link, i've owned the apex jacket for 2 years (excellent) the optimus jersey reads like a gabba type jersey..free delivery over £30..and free returns
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Roubaix bib shorts or tights. Decent rain jacket. Wool socks, base layers. Overshoes and overgloves
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    It all depends on how hot or cool you feel, how fast you ride and for how long. If Navrig2 can down to freezing with a Castelli Perfetto + merino base, my limit is on similar gear is ~4 C (in Lothian too, but w/ southerner blood). Nowadays, I'll just swap to a thicker jacket at those conditions.

Similarly, if I'm rding tempo, intervals or laps around Arthur's Seat, I can do with much less than on an easy club ride (back in the good old days!), where I may end up 10 minutes plus sucking wheel. Lower intensity plus potential road spray is a lethal combo.

Rain jackets seem to be like marmite. Some people love them, others end up wet from the inside. The shakedry jackets might be the bee's knees, but cost a fortune and colour options would make Henry Ford proud.

My recommendations based on the above, plus several thousand miles of commuting 50 miles east of Glasgow are:
    0) Learn what you need in terms of pace, and thermal feeling
    1) Get mudguards. You'll be dryer, cleaner, unless it's totally pouring down
    2) Get overshoes, especially if your extremities tend to run cold. If you commute, get ready to replace those pretty much every year. It sucks, but riding without them sucks more.
    3) Layer up. Sounds like silly cycling snobbery, but having a variety of base layers, warmers (at least arm warmers, probably knee warmers too) and a windproof gillet is a godsend.
    4) In Scotland, at least one of your layers should be windproof. Ideally the outermost one. Your air is already warm; use it for insulation. Don't let windchill get you.
    5) Adapt your clothing to the intensity of the ride.
    6) Check the weather forecast. Showers are hard to predict, but temperature will be spot on.
    7) Remember cycle2work scheme can be used to buy cycling clothes!

My only actual statement regarding equipment is that I got last year some very expensive Castelli Estremo gloves. They're nice, but definitely not worth more than 50% their retail price.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    I really rate my Gore Windstopper Phantom 2 jacket - (see my other thread on sizing)

It's probably the best bit of cycling kit I have despite it being 2 sizes too big for me. It is really really warm and on the coldest days (-3) I have worn it with just a HH Lifa long sleeve baselayer and have been really toasty and at the top of my usual mile long 12% climb I'm positively hot. Showerproof too as well as breathable.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    drhaggis said:

It all depends on how hot or cool you feel, how fast you ride and for how long. If Navrig2 can down to freezing with a Castelli Perfetto + merino base, my limit is on similar gear is ~4 C (in Lothian too, but w/ southerner blood). Nowadays, I'll just swap to a thicker jacket at those conditions.

Need to keep in mind that this combo is with Northwave Goretex boots and decent winter gloves. If I skimped on the feet and hands the Perfetto combo probably wouldn't work.

I'd love a cool, traffic free cycle today. It's still very warm here in Vietnam and the traffic is horrendous until you get (very) clear of the city.

• On long day rides, I am a complete wuss and carry a change of shorts, socks & base layer, plus my spare lightweight waterproof, in a waterproof bag. Soaking wet at the lunch stop? Change into cosy dry stuff, and relax. Sounds extreme, but the strategy paid off on LEJOG. Only works if you have an un-cool large saddlebag, mine's a Carradice.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Galibier mistral pro jacket and bib tights - windproof, water resistant and perfect in the 0-10 degree range for me. Worn today on my commute in showery, 6-8 degree temperatures and was super cosy (warmer than I was at work indoors!)
  • My extremities get cold quickly, so my secret weapons are thick merino socks, loose shoes (to keep blood flowing), thick neoprene shoe covers; Pearl Izumi Amfib waterproof/insulated gloves with long wrist gaiters, a merino neck warmer and skullcap. The rest is just dependent on how cold it actually is. I have an old pair of Sugoi over-tights with windproof front panels that work fine down to my riding limit of -5 f over regular bib shorts. On top I always start with a merino long sleeve shirt, then build from there with softshell vest and top with a Gore wind/water resistant fleece-interior top.

TL;DR -- focus on the head/hands/feet.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Another item I have just remembered after using them yesterday is Silk Glove Liners. Wear these thin liners under your usual gloves for super toasty fingers. Really thin so they don't add much bulk. Got mine from Amazon for around a tenner.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• dunk_01 said:

Has anyone got any good recommendations for warm winter cycling gear?

I live in Glasgow and spent the last few winters freezing my censored off. My current kit (mostly morvelo and rapha) is tolerable, but I’m definitely not warm.

Anyone got any stand out kit?

A cheap fix for me for keeping the tootsies toasty are Hothands footwarmers other makes are available , they defo worked for me in combo with overshoes.
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018