La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 13: Muros > Mirador de Ézaro - 33,7 km ITT *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited November 2020 in Pro race
Stage 13: Muros > Mirador de Ézaro - 33,7 km
Tuesday 3 November, 12.33 GMT.

The 13th stage is perfect for time trialists with puncher's legs. Until stage 20 of the Tour, the nme that would immediately spring to mind would be Primoz Roglic. Following 31.9 kilometres on the flat the finish climb kicks in hard.
It will be pretty because the road follows the Gallacian coast which is always beautiful even if it is supposed to be raining. So, pretty but hard.

The Vuelta visited the Mirador de Ézaro in 2016, when Alexandre Geniez brought the early break home, but a real clash of titans took place eight years ago. Joaquim Rodríguez, Alberto Contador and Alejandro Valverde battled it out on the insane ramps and crossed the line in that order.

The 2020 Vuelta will see the riders tackle the Mirador de Ézaro one at a time. The ascent is only 1.8 kilometres long with an average gradient of 14.6% and ramps up to 29% the hill is sure to cause damage.

The riders roll down the starting ramp in Muros and enter 31.9 kilometres of flat terrain. Perfect roads for guys who can push a big gear. They may be further aided by the weather with predicts a headwind.

The Mirador de Ézaro may be short, but incredibly steep. Anybody who has gone too deep on the long flat section, could pay a huge price in the final 2kms.
Although the steepest ramp (29%) appears in the first half, the second half is toughest with an average gradient of 15.8%.

The time check is located at the base of the finish climb, after 31.9 kilometres.

Muros

Unprecedented departure
8.695 inhabitants

Muros is one of those small hidden jewels found along the winding roads of Galicia. The municipality is one of the northernmost municipalities found in the Rias Baixas area, a true example with regards to the preservation of the customs and traditions of A Coruña’s coastal fishing villages. This charming village has a very special character that will delights visitors with its culture, gastronomy and landscapes.

Abalon
Abalon or Abalone, belonging to a gasteropod mollusk family is highly valued for its meat.
Abalone is one of the most expensive seafoods in the world. Through a combination of location, a talented team and state of the art technology, GMA is able to produce Abalone all yerar round. From the seeding process to the end abalone.
Galician Marine Aquaculture’s farm is located on the estuary of Muros-Noia.

Galician Lobster

Also known as bogavante, Galician lobster is blueish in colour (when it’s alive) and is extremely tender and meaty. Look for bogavante con arroz as this is one of the most traditional Galician seafood dishes.
bogavante con arroz

Rias Baixas
Rías Baixas is a Spanish Denominación de Origen (DO) for wines located in the province of Pontevedra and the south of the province of Corunna in the autonomous community of Galicia, Spain. It is renowned for its white wines made from the Albariño grape variety.

Mirador de Ézaro

2 stages of La Vuelta have had finales in the Mirador de Ézaro. Dumbría.
3.040 inhabitants

We have to go back to the Puerto de Navacerrada, in 2008, to see a time-trial ending in a mountain pass in La Vuelta. But the Mirador de Ézaro is not just any mountain pass. Explosive, tough, short, demanding and with unbeatable views, this A Coruña peak represents exactly what La Vuelta has been searching for this past decade. In 2020, a new rider’s name will feature alongside that of Joaquim ‘Purito’ Rodríguez and Alexandre Geniez who have already had victories in this impressive climb.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Another brutal Vuelta hill to finish the TT.
    Bike changes at the bottom again?
  • ITT start times from 3pm UK time.

16:00:00 SOLER Marc MOV ESP
    16:02:00 CATTANEO Mattia DQS ITA
    16:04:00 IZAGIRRE Gorka AST ESP
    16:06:00 MARTIN Guillaume COF FRA
    16:08:00 HENAO Sergio Luis UAD COL
    16:10:00 KUSS Sepp TJV USA
    16:12:00 DE LA CRUZ David UAD ESP
    16:14:00 GAUDU David GFC FRA
    16:16:00 BENNETT George TJV NZL
    16:18:00 NIEVE Mikel MTS ESP
    16:20:00 VLASOV Aleksandr AST RUS
    16:22:00 VALVERDE Alejandro MOV ESP
    16:24:00 GROßSCHARTNER Felix BOH AUT
    16:26:00 POELS Wout TBM NED
    16:28:00 MAS Enric MOV ESP
    16:30:00 MARTIN Daniel ISN IRL
    16:32:00 CARTHY Hugh John EF1 GBR
    16:34:00 ROGLIC Primož TJV SLO
    16:36:00 CARAPAZ Richard IGD ECU
  • Classic vuelta
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited November 2020

Was wondering the same. I should think so, they did for the one in the the Tour at La Planche and that was less severe wasn't it albeit longer?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Pross said:

Was wondering the same. I should think so, they did for the one in the the Tour at La Planche and that was less severe wasn't it albeit longer?
    Any bets Roglic has been practicing the switch?
    It was awful in the Tour.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited November 2020
    Pross said:

Was wondering the same . I should think so, they did for the one in the the Tour at La Planche and that was less severe wasn't it albeit longer?

la Planche is 16 minute. ClimbThis won’t be, but I’m not sure you’d get up it on TT bike that you would use for the first 30km. It’ll be more about changing gears than bikes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    a really good thread with a breakdown of the stage by my former coach, Xavier
  • moonshine
    edited November 2020
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Was wondering the same . I should think so, they did for the one in the the Tour at La Planche and that was less severe wasn't it albeit longer?

la Planche is 16 minute. ClimbThis won’t be, but I’m not sure you’d get up it on TT bike that you would use for the first 30km. It’ll be more about changing gears than bikes.
    Xav reckons a bike change is necessary

• moonshine said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Apparently there is to be a dedicated pit stop area, on the climb, for bike changes to take place.
  • It's a great little thread that! Thanks for sharing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

moonshine said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Apparently there is to be a dedicated pit stop area, on the climb, for bike changes to take place.
    The big question is where that area is. If it's at the foot of the climb then riders have to lose speed to swap.

Te other interesting thing about it is that the bikes and helpers can be positioned there waiting, instead of taking a bike from the car roof.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Ridiculous - if they are allowing them to change bike type, at the very least it should have to do the course with them.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Ridiculous - if they are allowing them to change bike type, at the very least it should have to do the course with them.

Yep. This isn't cyclo-cross.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Can't see anyone trying a 29% ramp on a TT bike. Should make for some change lols.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • If you're going to have these '2 part' TTs they need to ban bike changes except for mechanicals.
    Part of the planning / skill should be optimising bike type (TT, aero road, lightweight road etc) and gearing to best approach the whole course - the interesting part would be different riders making different choices based on their own strength / physiology or plans for the day - as they do at the moment on road stages with some guys on light climbing bikes and others on aero etc.. Time taken to swap a bike shouldn't really be a key factor - this isn't F1.
    Alternatively do normal 'rolling' or pan flat TTs to test those particular strengths.
  • moonshine said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

The big question is where that area is. If it's at the foot of the climb then riders have to lose speed to swap.

Te other interesting thing about it is that the bikes and helpers can be positioned there waiting, instead of taking a bike from the car roof.
    Someone on twitter has suggested that it's at the steepest part of the climb.
    IF true I hope there are some paramedics standing by for the mechanics who have to give a push start!
  • moonshine

If you're going to have these '2 part' TTs they need to ban bike changes except for mechanicals.
    Part of the planning / skill should be optimising bike type (TT, aero road, lightweight road etc) and gearing to best approach the whole course - the interesting part would be different riders making different choices based on their own strength / physiology or plans for the day - as they do at the moment on road stages with some guys on light climbing bikes and others on aero etc.. Time taken to swap a bike shouldn't really be a key factor - this isn't F1.
    Alternatively do normal 'rolling' or pan flat TTs to test those particular strengths.

Everyone would just claim to have a "mechanical" at the same point....
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

moonshine said:

RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Someone on twitter has suggested that it's at the steepest part of the climb.
    IF true I hope there are some paramedics standing by for the mechanics who have to give a push start!
    Potential marginal gain, draft in a champion bobsleigher to do the push start??
  • Of course none quite match today's trial, but last year's Giro ITT was the same length and finished up a hill and included all of the current podium.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2019/stage-9
  • moonshine said:

If you're going to have these '2 part' TTs they need to ban bike changes except for mechanicals.

Replacement bike has to be same set-up as start bike. Quite easy to check them in at the start and again at the finish if required. Would be pretty obvious if they got a well timed front flat on their TT bike just as they got to the climb and then jumped on a road bike.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    It'd add a bit of interest for the viewer I agree but apart from that a bike change isn't really unfair on anyone and there'd be relatively few courses where they didn't all go for the same sort of bike. It'd only really be the position - road or TT - that was the choice as modern gearing can cover 53*11 and a small enough gear for these guys to smash it up that 1.8km finishing hill today.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    edited November 2020
    Something for which the Vuelta organisers should get a gold star for, at least:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta-a-espana-still-covid-free-fourth-round-of-mass-tests-all-negative/
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

moonshine said:

Replacement bike has to be same set-up as start bike. Quite easy to check them in at the start and again at the finish if required. Would be pretty obvious if they got a well timed front flat on their TT bike just as they got to the climb and then jumped on a road bike.
    Nah, I don't mind a bike change in itself, but it should have to come off the following car.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Doing a good bike change is as much of a skill as any other part of cycling surely. Mechanicals, crashes happen all the time and fast changes are important.

I'd argue the choice of whether or not to do a bike change adds an extra dimension to the whole thing, it doesn't take it away - is the time lost in the change worth doing it etc. - maybe not so much on this course as the bike change seems to be more or less essential, but when it is borderline it's an interesting extra. You have one more choice:

- Whole thing on TT bike
    - Whole thing on climbing bike (maybe with clip ons)
    - Whole thing on aero road bike (presumably with clip ons)
    - Do a bike change, risk losing more time by messing it up

Surely that's more interesting, not less?

In this case I think a TT bike is critical on the flat (Xavier Disley suggests as much above due to the headwind), and the weight is critical on the climb (easily worth more than the time for a bike change in both cases).

If you remember the Bergen Worlds TT some riders did a change and some didn't, choosing to do the climb on the TT bike.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    As this sort of TT become more common there must be scope to design a do it all bike. Even it were a bit slower of one part of the course, not having to change definitely saves time
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Ganna would climb it on the aero extensions.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    edited November 2020
    Harry Tanfield is first home, having caught 4 minute men....48' - 52"
    Meanwhile, Remi Cavanga is 5 minutes into his effort.

Times and splits, as they happen, can be viewed here:

https://www.tissottiming.com/2020/vue/en-gb/default/Stage/13/Live
  • DId Edmondson do the climb with his TT bike?

He takes 28 seconds off Tanfield's time (currently leads with 48:24).
  • Cavagna clocks 30:42 at the second check, 18 seconds quicker than Edmondson to that point.