2021 races and COVID

gweeds
gweeds Posts: 2,550
Starts with:

Tour Down Under and associated races cancelled.

Next scheduled race is the UAE Tour in Feb.
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I guess most races will depend on local/ national restrictions in place at the time.

The 3 GT's have demonstrated that with the right protocols in place races can be successful working around covid so I'm hopeful that the calendar will go ahead in 2021. Although the one day races are possibly the most vulnerable, as we saw this season.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    I'd guess anything pre April will not happen.
    Anything from April on depends on how things progress through the winter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Is this another thread where people will decry that everything will be cancelled, right up until the point the races reach their conclusion.

The Tour, Giro and Vuelta were all dismissed as not being completed, and 2 out of the have reached their various destinations.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Is this another thread where people will decry that everything will be cancelled, right up until the point the races reach their conclusion.

The Tour, Giro and Vuelta were all dismissed as not being completed, and 2 out of the have reached their various destinations.

Except for the ones that have already been cancelled...
  • gweeds
    It was more intended as an easy way to check and post for races that we know aren’t running.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited November 2020
    gweeds said:

Starts with:

Tour Down Under and associated races cancelled.

Next scheduled race is the UAE Tour in Feb.

Seems that the quarantine issues torpedoed the Aussie races with so many teams either reluctant or unable to spend a month in isolation.
    The Indian cricket team are set to tour Australia and crowds have returned to stadiums.

I assume that San Juan will also be a non starter as until recently, the Argentinean authorities have been extremely rigorous in the Covid controls. So much so in fact that things backfired and things got out of hand.

I expect the European calendars to go ahead, but with a larger proportion than usual getting scratched.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited November 2020
    As a well known UCI-sceptic, I think we have to admit that the amount of racing we've been able to watch this year has been amazing. Cycling, for the first time in a long while, has been a beacon to the rest of the world for doing something right! We've had...10 positive tests? (Most of which were Gaviria, several of which were false positives)

Full credit to the UCI and the stakeholders for pulling it off. I think we can look forward with confidence to the 2021 (European) season.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    ddraver said:

As a well known UCI-sceptic, I think we have to admit that the amount of racing we've been able to watch this year has been amazing. Cycling, for the first time in a long while, has been a beacon to thee worked for doing something right! We've had...10 positive tests? (Most of which were Gaviria, several of which were false positives)

Full credit to the UCI and the stakeholders for pulling it off. I think we can look forward with confidence to the 2021 (European) season.

As a sceptic I can only say well done! I have enjoyed the GTs that I never thought I'd see. I think a lot will have been learned so can be hopeful but fear the early season will take the hit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, the pre-season friendlies are going to struggle. However, they are the races most swimming in cash too...

We may have to reformulate the Boonen/Qatar prediction formulation

(I might add that they've also pulled off a fair attempt at the XCO & DH Seasons, and seem to be kicking off a half-decent CX Season too)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    CX strikes me as easier to deal with. Closed courses. Laps. Easy to keep people away.
  • So, the TDU got cancelled because it couldn't manage to get even 5 teams to travel:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-down-under-failed-to-convince-even-five-worldtour-teams-to-race/

Probably afraid of Wilunga Hill.
    Meanwhile there is better news for the immediate future and the women.
    The organisers of the 2020 Ceratizit Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta have confirmed that the three-day race will go ahead, starting on November 6th.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/madrid-challenge-by-la-vuelta-confirms-three-stages/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The Giro/Vuelta have shown that the race calendar can successfully be run until later in the year than has been done up until now. I've enjoyed them both. The UCI squeeze so many races into the summer months normally, it would be good to see the cycling year stretched beyond the end of September. Vuelta in October would work better in my opinion. I also really liked the Italian block of racing we had back in August too.
    I'm grateful for all the decent racing we've had this year though.
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Post Giro partying, I wonder?
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    edited November 2020
    Post Giro hammered immune system more likely?
    Hope he makes a good recovery
  • gweeds
    Or he just caught it like millions around the world.
  • I didn't mean it in any leading way, I definitely would have celebrated after the last few months he's had. But yes, I hope he makes a swift and full recovery.
  • gweeds
    Wasn't taken as such - and wouldn't be overly shocked if it was that!
  • We don't need to worry. BoJo said a vaccine was coming around Christmas... and a politician wouldn't lie!
  • We don't need to worry. BoJo said a vaccine was coming around Christmas... and a politician wouldn't lie!

This post aged well...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Long way from getting it by xmas.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Long way from getting it by xmas.

Which christmas?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

We don't need to worry. BoJo said a vaccine was coming around Christmas... and a politician wouldn't lie!

This post aged well...

Yes, but Johnson will reject the Pfizer vaccine in favour of a world beating British vaccine that a Tory donor has been paid to deliver.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    And then there'll be some sort of failure like "the refrigerators we paid a hedge fund manager £100K apiece for don't go cold enough"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    RichN95. said:

We don't need to worry. BoJo said a vaccine was coming around Christmas... and a politician wouldn't lie!

This post aged well...

Yes, but Johnson will reject the Pfizer vaccine in favour of a world beating British vaccine that a Tory donor has been paid to deliver.

I was joking but it turns out vaccine procurement is headed by a banker married to a Tory minster.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    Of course.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    I know it’s not going to cause anyone to lose much sleep but the 2021 Tour de Yorkshire has been cancelled today.

It’s obviously disappointing for me, particularly as I usually get roadside for at least a day or 2.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come.
  • gweeds
    That's an early pull.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    The same people who were adamant the we'd be lucky to see one days racing never mind a grand tour, and then posted in the spoiler threads every day they were getting worried about the race seeing it's conclusion are the same ones who want to see every race cancelled next year. Why are you like this?
  • gweeds
    Can I get a WTF?

This thread is about actual races that have been been cancelled/moved/changed.

It's not anyone wishing anything, simply reporting facts as they come up.