Zwift/Strava Ascent Query

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
edited October 2020 in Road general
I have one Zwift subscription at home. Wife uses it as well as me. Once she's finished her ride..let's say her ride has 800ft ascent ...as the account is linked to my strava premium account..her ride is uploaded to my strava. I save the gpx file to desktop, delete it from my strava feed and then using the upload file option I upload it to her free strava account. That process is easy enough but when the ride is added the ascent is massively increased..last time it changed her 800 ft of ascent zwift ride to 5000ft ascent. It always gets the ascent wrong when saving the gpx file from one strava account to another.
Anyone know why or how to rectify please?
Ta

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    She should pay for her own Zwift account. That will solve it.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    edited October 2020
    The why is relatively easy. Under certain circumstances, Strava will recalculate the elevation from the GPS data. Watopia's GPS coordinates are over a couple of mountainous islands in the south Pacific. Where Zwift has a flat road, the GPS coordinates are often going over a very large hill. I would guess a ride in Richmond, Yorkshire or Innsbruck would probably be more accurate. There will be something when directly uploading from Zwift which tells Strava not to recalculate the elevation which isn't triggered when manually uploading, probably some device data isn't retained when downloading the GPX.

There is a potential fix, though I've not tried this. Zwift saves activities as .fit files onto your device - The location depends on what you're using, Google the instructions for whatever you use. That's effectively the file Zwift is uploading to Strava, so may avoid the elevation recalculation.
  • Many thanks poster 2. Poster 1...you would have been better not bothering to waste anyones time!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    pete1336 said:

Many thanks poster 2. Poster 1...you would have been better not bothering to waste anyones time!

Simply, you shouldn't be sharing accounts. I'm pretty sure it's against the T&Cs of using the service.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I bet you’re fun at parties... 🙄
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    You should save the fit file out of zwift.com instead of Strava - works fine then.

My wife does the same for one or two rides a week. Until they bring in a sensible family sub service I'm not paying twice as much for her to spin round Watopia for an hour watching TV, whatever the T&Cs say.