A Place to Donate Old Kit?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a place to donate old kit? I have some used cycling shoes and clothes (also running shoes and wetsuits) which I no longer use. They aren't new, but very good equipment and they still have life in them and I was thinking someone who can't afford them might enjoy getting their hands on them.

Would anyone have any suggestions of where to donate these? Is there a sport-specific charity shop that you would recommend?

I thought about giving it to a local charity shop - but I feel that it's not the place that people search for sport-specific equipment and it might therefore not be the best place to take them to.

Comments

• I've given away kit on my club's forum. Otherwise you could try Freecycle? So many people ride nowadays and you can choose who you give it to from whoever requests it.
  • shiz
    shiz Posts: 19
    Thanks for that, Campag. Someone else also suggested giving it to university clubs which might also be a good place to explore.

• shiz

I've given away kit on my club's forum. Otherwise you could try Freecycle? So many people ride nowadays and you can choose who you give it to from whoever requests it.

Thanks for that, Campag. Someone else also suggested giving it to university clubs which might also be a good place to explore.
  • There's always been something creepy about buying used clothing. Particularly bad for sporty clothing. Just imagine they were used by some stinky sweaty c't with some horrible skin condition. How much have those trousers been farted in? How much other disgusting body stuff have they been exposed to?

Slightly relevant but Top Gear did some forensic tests on second hand cars a few years back. The tests showed signs of mucus, old skin particles, faeces and even some man juice. I'l stick to buying new.
  • shiz
    Thanks for that, Shimano Bottom Bracket. I've been in positions where I have been super appreciative of using hand-me-downs when I couldn't justify spending money on good kit. Hoping to pass that on to someone else.

In case someone else is looking for solutions I have been currently advised two additional options:
    Donating to university/college teams
    and
    Soles 4 Souls
  • shiz said:

Thanks for that, Shimano Bottom Bracket. I've been in positions where I have been super appreciative of using hand-me-downs when I couldn't justify spending money on good kit. Hoping to pass that on to someone else.

In case someone else is looking for solutions I have been currently advised two additional options:
    Donating to university/college teams
    and
    Soles 4 Souls

your welcome but im retarded
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

There's always been something creepy about buying used clothing. Particularly bad for sporty clothing. Just imagine they were used by some stinky sweaty c't with some horrible skin condition. How much have those trousers been farted in? How much other disgusting body stuff have they been exposed to?

Slightly relevant but Top Gear did some forensic tests on second hand cars a few years back. The tests showed signs of mucus, old skin particles, faeces and even some man juice. I'l stick to buying new.

They (not Top Gear, but boffins) did similar tests of what was deposited in Tube seats.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited March 2021
    Hey all,

I've stumbled via facebook on this charity run by a cancer survivor:
    https://facebook.com/thebikenetworkcharity

https://thebikenetwork.org/

"Supporting Cancer patients, survivors and their family members by supplying them with bicycles and cycle equipment."

I've only just messaged them, but we have an old 2005 Spesh hardrock we are going to give them, and I also have some spare handlebars, seatposts, stems, tyres etc I am going to let them have.
    Sounds like they also take kit as well, so am going to see what items I can send their way.

Going to send pictures of the kit I have over the next few days, and will update on here with how it goes, and what they actually do take.

They are based in Plymouth, but he has said they can come and collect stuff in a few weeks time.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Just to update this thread, due to a number of things, we didn't end up sorting out a time between ourselves to get the bike and stuff picked up, but he arrived today in a smallish van crammed with bikes, took the bike plus a load of parts etc.

Really nice bloke, and also said they take donations of pretty much any clothing, and can send out pre-paid postage labels, so nice and easy for people who want to donate.

Today he took:
    • The bike
    • Several tyres
    • Some tubes
    • Two jackets, one adult ladies, one kids
    • A rear rack
    • Rack bag
    • Bottle cages
    • Storage bottle
    • Rear lights
    • Overshoes
    • Helmet
    I've shared this info with friends, and those in my club, as I'm sure a lot of people, like the OP, really struggle to do something meaningful with unwanted kit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18