Gore Phantom 2 Softshell Jacket Sizing

Hi All,

I've got a Gore Phantom 2 jacket with the zip off arms etc. I bought it 2nd hand for an absolute bargain a couple of years back. I use it for commuting and the odd leisure ride and it really is the warmest most comfortable jacket I have. The only problem is the jacket I have is probably 2 sizes too big for me. Not a real issue as I'm only commuting and I don't care what I look like at 7.30am!

I'm thinking about getting one in a proper size. Trouble is what is the right size for me? Looking at the size charts for this jacket which must be around 2012 (?) compared to the size guide for 2020 jackets they seem different. I have an XL that is waaaaay too big. I've a 40" chest, 6ft tall weigh 74kgs. The fit of this I would say as quite loose even if it is too big. I can't imagine this being a "race-fit" jacket.

Also, is the material of the modern jackets comparable with the older ones? I can wear a thin baselayer with this one in temps down to -2 and I'll be unzipping going up hills. It is super warm but never feels clammy. I'd feel short-changed if they have made them from different material. Can't find any clothing in local stores anymore to compare and buying online is always a faff to return stuff.

Anyone with experience of these? Photo for ID below

Ta,

Nic

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    I'm 6'4", 39 chest, 75kg.

I have the large and it's certainly not race fit. Loads of room underneath. Mainly wear it for mountain biking.

I could definitely get into a medium although the sleeves might be a bit short.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Thanks for the feedback mrb123.

Looks like I should go for a Medium then. What's the fabric like? How warm do you find it? Does it seem like the older jacker I described?

Ta.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Mine is a few years old too so may be the same as yours - looks like the one in the pic above.

Maybe worth you emailing Gore direct to see if they've changed the fit and fabrics over the years.
  • Had mine for about 10 years, I use it from October to May pretty much every day. Best item of clothing I have ever bought, cycling or not. Mine is a size M and i'm 5'10" tall and slightly heavier than you.... Arms are not too short and the back doesn't ride up either. Plenty of room underneath for extra layers in winter but never feels baggy.
    If you can, go to shop and try the M.
  • photonic69

Had mine for about 10 years, I use it from October to May pretty much every day. Best item of clothing I have ever bought, cycling or not. Mine is a size M and i'm 5'10" tall and slightly heavier than you.... Arms are not too short and the back doesn't ride up either. Plenty of room underneath for extra layers in winter but never feels baggy.
    If you can, go to shop and try the M.

Yeah, they are excellent aren't they! Quite expensive but as they last a long time they are actually cheap in the grand scheme of things.

• W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    edited October 2020
    I have the same model as you in medium which is big on me at 5'9" and 38/39" chest.
    I'm sure you will need medium if they haven't changed the sizing.
  • photonic69
    Well, I surprisingly took the advice posted earlier and emailed Gore customer support and this is the reply I received:

"Thank you for contacting GOREwear.com, your ultimate source for GORE® Wear products.

The replacement for the Gore Phantom 2 Softshell Jacket is the C3 GORE® WINDSTOPPER® PHANTOM Zip-Off Jacket.

On the technical side, the jacket is the same and offers the same level of protection with a weight of 380 grams.

The PHANTOM GORE-TEX INFINIUM™ Jacket is heavier at 452 grams.

Taking your chest measurements into account, we would recommend a size L. "

It seems the sizing is now more inline with other manufacturers and I mistakenly thought the INFINIUM was a replacement for the Phantom. I can't imagine how warm that jacket is with the heavier fabric compared to the Phantom which is too warm on most days.

The Phantom is more expensive than the Infinium which I found strange. I do find the range that Gore offer is enormous and equally baffling with C3's, C5's, C7's R5's etc. So Gore Windstopper Phantom is different from Phantom Gore Infinium but apart from weight and price I'm not sure how as both are windproof and water resistant and Im sure very very good.

Totally confused now.

• I've got a brand new Gore C5 infinitum thermal, too warm at the moment to actually use it, but an XL fits my 42 inch chest with room for a base layer underneath, any smaller and it would also be too short for me at 6 foot

I think the C stands for cycle, R is for run.

Numbers run 3 as loosest fit, 7 is racing snake.

I think that's correct, might be completely wrong though!