Donald Trump

Comments

• Ben6899 said:

I posted last time round that the 2 candidates were the worst ever.
    Possibly worse this time round. Close though.

I don't get the Biden hate. He seems like a pretty decent old man.

Also Nixon and G W Bush were probably worse than Trump.
    An no one ever mentions Reagan. Complete vvanker.
    Reagan is quite warmly judged by history. He dealt with the USSR pretty well in the end by getting into an arms race then doing a deal to cut weapons. Felt pretty risky at the time, but worked.

One of the first "cut taxes to cut the debt" presidents, obviously increased the debt.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Don't hate him at all.
    But if you were an American, wouldn't you dispair at the choice available?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

Don't hate him at all.
    But if you were an American, wouldn't you dispair at the choice available?
    Lol you seem pretty chill about the same sitch in the uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633

I don't follow US politics closely, but it is hard to imagine anyone worse than Trump.
  • I posted last time round that the 2 candidates were the worst ever.

I don't follow US politics closely, but it is hard to imagine anyone worse than Trump.
    Thinking about it, take Nixon out of that list, he was definitely no more corrupt than Trump.

GW Bush feels like Trump but with a friendlier face, plus torture and a disastrous illegal invasion.

Thinking about it, take Nixon out of that list, he was definitely no more corrupt than Trump.

GW Bush feels like Trump but with a friendlier face, plus torture and a disastrous illegal invasion.
    Nixon should get a lot more credit for upholding civil rights.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben6899 said:

An no one ever mentions Reagan. Complete vvanker.
    Reagan is quite warmly judged by history. He dealt with the USSR pretty well in the end by getting into an arms race then doing a deal to cut weapons. Felt pretty risky at the time, but worked.

One of the first "cut taxes to cut the debt" presidents, obviously increased the debt.
    Yeh dodgy economic policies. Oh and Iran-Contra.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Trump is unique in that he just says stuff most days that would be a massive scandal if it was leaked that it was done in secret under any other president, and no one quite knows how to deal with it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633

It's an interesting point of view. I feel like Trump would be happy to have a bit of torture, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself. Maybe he is just a buffoon rather than an evil tyrant.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638

It's an interesting point of view. I feel like Trump would be happy to have a bit of torture, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself. Maybe he is just a buffoon rather than an evil tyrant.

Buffoon and evil tyrant can happily coexist.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Polls get more accurate as the election nears because reputations are on the line. States that were listed as toss ups are now likely Trump, Texas being one, Florida another.

U.S. presidents are running for re-election during their first term. If you think Trump was a wild man during his first term, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Folks vote their pocket book. The only folks who stand to benefit for a Biden presidency are welfare slugs.

Percentage wise, how much of the time do you wear a baseball cap with a plastic vented bit at the back?

All the time except when singing the national anthem at the college football?
    I wear a ball cap most of the time I'm not sleeping. The sun can be brutal in South Texas. I never cared for American football. Have you ever owned any Americans cars? I've owed a few British cars, the coolest a '73 Lotus Europa JPS. I currently race a Lotus 7 by Birkin. Do you have bad teeth?

I've had some time to work on the old Brompton. Stripped off the fenders, rack and lights. The previous owner musta been tall so got ride of the extended seatpost and replaced it with a titanium one. Got rid of the high bars and put flat bars on it along with some Chinese light brake levers and Grabon foam grips. Knocked off 5 pound.

I wear a flannel suit and I am vastly intelligent and well spoken.

Are you married to one of your cousins?
    Does that count as stereotyping or some sort of ism?
    Or are Americans fair game?
    It is just just tub-thumpers who are fair game.

Besides, we can't have people impugning British dentistry now can we?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Buffoon and evil tyrant can happily coexist.
    I think the thing about Dubya was that he was genuinely a good person in his own eyes: he only launched wars and tortured people because he believed it was the right thing to do.

This may or may not make him more dangerous than the likes of Trump, who I think is psychopathic enough that he simply doesn't recognise what "good" or "bad" mean, only "good for me" or "fake news".

He probably wouldn't be able to see the point if he couldn't tell people he was doing it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522

Ben6899 said:

Is it VTech? Talks absolute shite, wants us to think/know that he's caked, and seems to know a bit about cars.

Not VTech then.

Have just skipped several thousand posts to get here. Did I miss much?

Simply. Get the popcorn ready. This thread is going to be gold if Trump wins new week :smiley:
    I almost want Trump to win just for that reason >:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Ben6899 said:

Is it VTech? Talks absolute shite, wants us to think/know that he's caked, and seems to know a bit about cars.

Not VTech then.

Simply. Get the popcorn ready. This thread is going to be gold if Trump wins new week :smiley:
    There'll be another 4 years of this thread posting stupid things he's said and done if he wins. Glad you're appreciating it!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    The strange thing with Trump is that for all his utterances of things he's going to do that many people feel are bad he really hasn't done much at all. The biggest problem with him is that he has, through those utterances, stirred up increased divisiveness in the US and possibly wider afield. By being so blatant in his messages of intolerance and hate he has emboldened those who would previously have kept similarly held views to themselves. He's made a whole lot of noise to the extent it feels like he has been in power longer than he has but has achieved very little to show for it all. I don't quite understand how his supporters are still falling for him being 'anti-establishment' when he has done nothing to alter the status quo.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Judge a man not by what he says, but by what he does.
    You can laugh at what he says though. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Polls get more accurate as the election nears because reputations are on the line. States that were listed as toss ups are now likely Trump, Texas being one, Florida another.

U.S. presidents are running for re-election during their first term. If you think Trump was a wild man during his first term, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Folks vote their pocket book. The only folks who stand to benefit for a Biden presidency are welfare slugs.

Percentage wise, how much of the time do you wear a baseball cap with a plastic vented bit at the back?

I wear a ball cap most of the time I'm not sleeping. The sun can be brutal in South Texas. I never cared for American football. Have you ever owned any Americans cars? I've owed a few British cars, the coolest a '73 Lotus Europa JPS. I currently race a Lotus 7 by Birkin. Do you have bad teeth?

I've had some time to work on the old Brompton. Stripped off the fenders, rack and lights. The previous owner musta been tall so got ride of the extended seatpost and replaced it with a titanium one. Got rid of the high bars and put flat bars on it along with some Chinese light brake levers and Grabon foam grips. Knocked off 5 pound.

Does that count as stereotyping or some sort of ism?
    Or are Americans fair game?
    It is just just tub-thumpers who are fair game.

Besides, we can't have people impugning British dentistry now can we?
    Oh well, if he started it...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • swjohnsey
    swjohnsey Posts: 263
    pblakeney said:

I'm getting fairly sure it's a parody account by now.

I'm maga amused by a Trump supporter getting all his kit from China.
    Seems most bike kit comes from China these days.
  • swjohnsey

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Nope. I wear a ballcap, belong to Mensa and have a couple of college degrees. I learned most of what I know about the Brits from watching Monty Python's Flying Circus.
  • Pross said:

The strange thing with Trump is that for all his utterances of things he's going to do that many people feel are bad he really hasn't done much at all. The biggest problem with him is that he has, through those utterances, stirred up increased divisiveness in the US and possibly wider afield. By being so blatant in his messages of intolerance and hate he has emboldened those who would previously have kept similarly held views to themselves. He's made a whole lot of noise to the extent it feels like he has been in power longer than he has but has achieved very little to show for it all. I don't quite understand how his supporters are still falling for him being 'anti-establishment' when he has done nothing to alter the status quo.

His accomplishments are fairly standard Republican - conservative judges, tax cuts for the rich, spending on the military, increased debt. The talk about draining the swamp and being too rich to be corrupt was plainly just rhetoric.

He could still get rid of Obamacare, and replace it with the great plan for better, cheaper and more comprehensive cover he has written down in his secret book.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Nope. I wear a ballcap, belong to Mensa and have a couple of college degrees. I learned most of what I know about the Brits from watching Monty Python's Flying Circus.
    Did you think you were watching a documentary.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Stevo_666 said:

Ben6899 said:

Not VTech then.

See, the problem is that you constantly need to go further to get the same thrill

Once making Corbyn leader of labour was enough.

Then Boris had to be PM

Now it's a second term for Trump.

You need to stop escalating this unhealthy behaviour
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920

Stevo_666 said:

Ben6899 said:

Not VTech then.

See, the problem is that you constantly need to go further to get the same thrill

Then Boris had to be PM

At least Stevo put an 'almost' in there. Having said that, the constant desire to 'own the libs' has undoubtedly become a thing in itself: you can see it in a more exaggerated form in Trumpism, where it doesn't matter if the actual result hurts those supporting Trump (e.g. tax cuts which massively went to the super-rich rather than Trump's 'base'), as long as it makes the liberals angry. That seems to be the only real policy outcome they want. The rest is just how they get that outcome.

It's not healthy for democracy. But then, it seems that democracy itself is not held in high esteem by the MAGAs: it's another of the tenets of liberals, so it must be a bad thing.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    swjohnsey said:

Can we get an IP check on this lad?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

Sure, paging Vtech.... he can not only get his IP but also, I believe, the scores of every solitaire game he's ever played.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920

Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

Sure, paging Vtech.... he can not only get his IP but also, I believe, the scores of every solitaire game he's ever played.
    It is feeling more and more like a fiction designed to wind up the libtards. Maybe we should score each one out of ten for how many tropes and caricatures are deployed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    Yep, apparently joined with a bike question but has only posted once outside four 'controversial' topics on Cake Stop and never seemed to actually post a query on Bromptons.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Ben6899 said:

Not VTech then.

Then Boris had to be PM

At least Stevo put an 'almost' in there. Having said that, the constant desire to 'own the libs' has undoubtedly become a thing in itself: you can see it in a more exaggerated form in Trumpism, where it doesn't matter if the actual result hurts those supporting Trump (e.g. tax cuts which massively went to the super-rich rather than Trump's 'base'), as long as it makes the liberals angry. That seems to be the only real policy outcome they want. The rest is just how they get that outcome.

It's not healthy for democracy. But then, it seems that democracy itself is not held in high esteem by the MAGAs: it's another of the tenets of liberals, so it must be a bad thing.
    The clever thing is for the man to get them to passionately back policies to stick it to the man even though it is detrimental to their well being.
  • swjohnsey
    Pross said:

Yep, apparently joined with a bike question but has only posted once outside four 'controversial' topics on Cake Stop and never seemed to actually post a query on Bromptons.

Not much help, here. The Brompton I bought is pretty old, frame # 1046 but it will works. Got everything working, flat bars on. I'm waiting on crankset and headset and some new brake pads. Never had a bike with Strumey Archer hub before. This one has the old Sprinter 5 speed. Seems to work O.K., I adjusted it today.