La Vuelta 2020 - Stage 8 : Logroño > Alto de Moncalvillo - 164 km *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• Back together now, as Kuss counters. Carapaz and Rog counter seconds later.
  • Carapaz attacks and only Mr Bonus Seconds sits on his wheel.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2020
    Now Vlasov attacks. Looks like he'll get the stage as Carapaz/Roglic/Carthy/Martin play poker with each other.

Spoke too soon. Roglic has his number and only Carthy is yet to get back on.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    No. ****ing no!
  • So Roglic's dip in form lasted 48 hours.
  • Carapaz in red by 1 second?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    edited October 2020
    by 13 seconds. I forgot Roglic wasn't second before today
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2020

Carapaz in red by 1 second?

Carthy would have loved that. He wasn't the stage winner, though. ;)

Carapaz now leads by 13 seconds.

EDIT: Just spotted your subsequent post.
  • All that work from Movistar and they came off worst again.

A good few kms of attacking, instead of the train and 500m sprint.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Movistar cementing their grip on the team competition though. :D
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

All that work from Movistar and they came off worst again.

It's still turning GTs into multiple days of LBL though, which is pretty dull imo.
  • Kauto5
    Kauto5 Posts: 71
    It took Kirby 3 minutes 18 seconds to ask Kelly a question leading up to the final climb, in which he gave him every possible scenario and every possible answer, to which Kelly replied "we will see"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    That was actually pretty impressive by Roglic today. A couple of big attacks and the final effort seemed to last forever, Carapaz looked like he was coming back then the elastic broke. It amazes me sometimes how much time can be lost in such a short distance. Carthy really is a diesel isn't he? He went to attack at one point and by time he'd got to the front of the group everyone had already got on his wheel.

For some reason today Carlton had it in his head that Roglic will probably lose time to the climbers over the weekend, I can't recall him showing weakness in other big mountain stages and certainly not in the Tour this year.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Pross said:

For some reason today Carlton had it in his head that Roglic will probably lose time to the climbers over the weekend, I can't recall him showing weakness in other big mountain stages and certainly not in the Tour this year.

And certainly no evidence today. I'd banked my PTP on a lighter climber dropping him on the steeper parts. Didn't work out like that. Mostly as I've just found out that Roglic is only 65kgs. I assumed he was heavier than that. 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited October 2020
    Roglic, meh.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Kauto5 said:

It took Kirby 3 minutes 18 seconds to ask Kelly a question leading up to the final climb, in which he gave him every possible scenario and every possible answer, to which Kelly replied "we will see"

ITV4 highlights was pretty good... was in back to backs all day so couldn't watch it live. Sounds like I didn't miss out...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312

I wonder if they expect Valverde to be able to finish, but instead age has actually finally caught up with him? Maybe one could say they mistimed it a little bit, because they all pulled off a little too early towards the end. Could have been the steepness of the gradient though, turning the final 2-3 km into an eternity.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    m.r.m. said:

I wonder if they expect Valverde to be able to finish, but instead age has actually finally caught up with him? Maybe one could say they mistimed it a little bit, because they all pulled off a little too early towards the end. Could have been the steepness of the gradient though, turning the final 2-3 km into an eternity.

I think Movistar's entire tactical philosophy is 'let's try it, what's the worst that can happen'. It's Spain. They want to be on TV.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    edited October 2020
    Decent enough dong ding battle . Hugh a tad deep too early ..but not bad
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

I think Movistar's entire tactical philosophy is 'let's try it, what's the worst that can happen'. It's Spain. They want to be on TV.
    I think they just like trying to cause chaos without worrying too much about a plan.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

I think they just like trying to cause chaos without worrying too much about a plan.
    Main objective usually turns out to be best team.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.