Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

I suspect that they couldn’t prove he intended to kill her. So therefore it becomes manslaughter.

"He said when Mrs Parry refused to leave his car he tried to pull her out before he "bundled" into the vehicle in an attempt to push her.
    The defendant said his arm "must have slipped up in all the melee" and that he left the car without realising Mrs Parry was "poorly".
    Mrs Parry, from Bournemouth, died in hospital the following day from a brain injury caused by compression of the neck."

Didn't realise that she was poorly? I don't believe his testimony but can't prove otherwise. You are more charitable than I am, and legally correct. Intent is hard to prove.
    2 elements to a criminal offence - Actus reus (the act itself) and the Men's rea (guilty state of mind).
    Both have to be demonstrated to prove an offence complete.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

and the Men's rea (guilty state of mind).

This is, of course, an entirely different thing to the Women's rea ;)
  • ballysmate

and the Men's rea (guilty state of mind).

This is, of course, an entirely different thing to the Women's rea ;)
    Nobody knows the state of a woman's mind.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,600
    Pross said:

Well if the judge has doubts they can still hand out a life sentence even for manslaughter.

That would restore a little faith in the system.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    edited October 2020
    Brits who salivate over its colonial past seem to show little interest in the Greece Turkey Cyprus beef in the med.

Seems this is the first med beef in 300 years where the Brits are not playing a pivotal role...
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,872

Brits who salivate over its colonial past seem to show little interest in the Greece Turkey Cyprus beef in the med.

Seems this is the first med beef in 300 years where the Brits are not playing a pivotal role...

Meh. I imagine Scottish football fans don't take much interest in most world cups for much the same reason.

I would think most interest in empire is about a lingering sense of jingoism, rather than trying to work out what went well or badly.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Would that be the same Cyprus that my son in law a British soldier spent six months patrolling on the border last year.
  • rick_chasey
    webboo said:

Would that be the same Cyprus that my son in law a British soldier spent six months patrolling on the border last year.
    Yup.

Maybe I’m reading the tea leaves wrong but it’s Macron and the French who are weighing in, not the Brits
  • ballysmate
    I would have assumed you would think it a good thing that Britain isn't getting all colonial again.
    Besides, does Cyprus not belong to a new empire? Surely they can sort it out. ;)
  • rick_chasey

I would have assumed you would think it a good thing that Britain isn't getting all colonial again.
    Besides, does Cyprus not belong to a new empire? Surely they can sort it out. ;)

Sure. I wasn’t commenting if it was good or bad.

It is notable.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Was about to say the same.

Definitely a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t on this one.

Rick, politically, I am more closely aligned to you than the many Conservative voices on here but the everything about Britain is wrong rhetoric is bloody annoying.

You’re a whingeing non-Pom to paraphrase the Australians for this type of behaviour.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    morstar said:

Rick, politically, I am more closely aligned to you than the many Conservative voices on here but the everything about Britain is wrong rhetoric is bloody annoying.

You’re a whingeing non-Pom to paraphrase the Australians for this type of behaviour.
    You're not the only one who thinks that.

Sadly this sort attitude is quite widespread amongst people who live in the UK and I find it quite intriguing (to keep this on topic).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

The one where the UK is the guarantor to the peace treaty?
  • rick_chasey

Maybe I am the only one who
    sees Macron taking a lead on this and not the UK.

• rick_chasey
    morstar said:

It was more something of note rather than anything else.

I don’t think I was criticising it or otherwise.

Seems a bit of a symbolic shift of where the UK projects its power.

In the context of the shift in emphasis from the MoD, away from expensive conventional boats etc I thought it was interesting.

Not least when a lot of people hark back to a period where the UK did project power further afield
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Maybe he is, but it's an odd statement about a treaty that the UK guarantees.
  • bompington

You've got to be kidding - the whole world sees Macron taking a lead on everything, which he does purely because his MO is to make sure that the whole world sees him taking a lead on everything.

But in this case the UK knocking is surely justified - the current government has no policies beyond Get Brexit Done, and no competence to do anything anyway.
  • bompington
    Dziękuję za to
  • pblakeney
    To prawda.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

Yup.

Maybe I’m reading the tea leaves wrong but it’s Macron and the French who are weighing in, not the Brits
    I didn’t know Macron was heading up the United Nations these days because that’s who are running the show.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199

Seems a bit of a symbolic shift of where the UK projects its power.

What power? We seem impotent at the moment.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    Why do I run better into a headwind than with a tailwind? Not necessarily faster but relative to other people I make ground into the wind and lose it on the easier, tailwind sections. Maybe a cadence thing. It was never the case when cycling. I also seem to perform better in general relative to those of a similar ability the worse the conditions.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    'Cos your well hard?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    Skinny aero cyclist instead of fatso trying to lose weight?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    Nah, I'm probably bigger than most of those around me, the skinny boys and girls are miles ahead. I think being a bigger runner might be part of it the strange thing is it feels more comfortable to me (other than if I'm on top of a mountain where I hate it).
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Why do I run better into a headwind than with a tailwind? Not necessarily faster but relative to other people I make ground into the wind and lose it on the easier, tailwind sections. Maybe a cadence thing. It was never the case when cycling. I also seem to perform better in general relative to those of a similar ability the worse the conditions.

No idea. I remember reading something about turboing being harder on your core / arms as the wind doesn’t help prop up your body.

Might be relevant, probably not.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Nah, I'm probably bigger than most of those around me, the skinny boys and girls are miles ahead. I think being a bigger runner might be part of it the strange thing is it feels more comfortable to me (other than if I'm on top of a mountain where I hate it).

I wasn't being entirely serious. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Wind will have less of an impact you as the bigger athlete.
    The whippets will lose say 20% mass against you but maybe only 10% surface area presented to the wind.
    Uphill, power to weight favours the small. In a headwind, absolute power matters.
    As a bigger athlete (running or cycling) you have more power.