Bernal diagnosed with Scoliosis

gweeds
gweeds Posts: 2,550
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/oct/26/egan-bernal-injury-gives-geoghegan-hart-shot-to-lead-ineos-grenadiers

“ Bernal is now facing months of rehabilitation after being diagnosed with scoliosis. “The problem is that one leg is longer than the other,” Bernal told ESPN Colombia. “It’s a pretty long recovery process, because it has caused me to have scoliosis in my spine.”

Bernal said he expected his rehabilitation process to take “not one or two months, but a long time”. The 23-year-old abandoned this year’s Tour de France on the second rest day after slipping down the overall rankings, saying he was “screwed up on all sides”.”
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    That's pretty rough. I'd also have expected Ineos to have spotted that sort of thing a lot earlier - assuming it's not the result of a crash.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    It certainly explains why his form fell off a cliff the way it did but not an easy one to deal with at this level.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Do teams think to measure riders' legs to see if they're wonky?

Fairly sure this has happened before, but can't think to whom.
  • gweeds
    It’s not uncommon amongst bike fitters to find riders with one leg shorter than the other (in fact I think most people have it), hence shimming cleats and so on, but full-on curvature of the spine and with the mileage they’re doing? Not good.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    He had quite a bad crash didn't he? I am surprised that with the level of detail bikes are set up to that it wasn't noticed. Sean Yates is the one I always remember having quite a significant difference in leg length (possibly also a back issue?).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Ugh poor guy

Can you imagine riding as far as he did with that?

These guys are nuts
  • On a personal level I feel sorry for him being in a position where he may have a condition that - potentially - might only get worse until some kind of surgical intervention. Hopefully the chances of that are fairly low.

Slightly different but I was diagnosed with keratoconus at a similar age, and knowing you've got something going on that may or may not get worse and that may or may not eventually need surgery is rather discombobulating, to say the least. And in my case it was easier as it didn't threaten my livelihood - not least as I was young and skint and didn't have one.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I remember some pundits, including a disgraced DS, saying he shouldn't drop out and he should honour the race and respect his teammates.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    Some large slices of humble pie being eaten tonight.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Hopefully a combination of gym work and bike fit can stop this becoming problematic.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited October 2020

On a personal level I feel sorry for him being in a position where he may have a condition that - potentially - might only get worse until some kind of surgical intervention. Hopefully the chances of that are fairly low.

Slightly different but I was diagnosed with keratoconus at a similar age, and knowing you've got something going on that may or may not get worse and that may or may not eventually need surgery is rather discombobulating, to say the least. And in my case it was easier as it didn't threaten my livelihood - not least as I was young and skint and didn't have one.

I have it too. Condolences. It sucks and I both love and hate my contact lenses. It's nice to be able to see, but they are a royal pain and if anything ever gets under them... :s
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Wondered if someone else would have it, mrm. Hope yours is as stable as mine.

Lenses got better once my optician had the bright idea of giving me different colours for each eye so I didn't keep shoving them in the wrong one...
  • m.r.m.
    edited October 2020
    Mine is getting worse consistently. I'll need surgery down the line, but I'm trying to put it off for as long as possible. I'm at 80% left eye 40% right eye on the very best days with contact lenses; but I'd still classify it as more irritating than debilitating. 🤭😊

I have a dot on the left one. One of the worst things is being consistently blinded by even moderate sunlight. Do you have that as well? Ok, this is hardly interesting for anyone else. But probably over as a side topic soon as well. 😆
  • I'm a lot better off - it's been utterly stable since I was diagnosed, and as I'm nearly forty it's unlikely it'll suddenly start progressing. I don't seem to be doing too much damage by wearing lenses either, so fingers crossed...
  • Back to Bernal...

According to Road.cc, Bernal's quoted as saying it's caused a disc to slip and "puncture" a nerve that goes to the gluteus and the rest of the leg, which is where the pain is.

Surgery not recommended.

That sounds a lot less amenable to rehab than simply reducing some of the causes of the scoliosis.

• m.r.m.
    Sounds terrible. Really hope he can recover and bounce back. Would be a great shame for us if his career fizzles out and even worse for him!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

Back to Bernal...

According to Road.cc, Bernal's quoted as saying it's caused a disc to slip and "puncture" a nerve that goes to the gluteus and the rest of the leg, which is where the pain is.

Surgery not recommended.

That sounds a lot less amenable to rehab than simply reducing some of the causes of the scoliosis.

Crap i know what that's like one side of my C6 is all but crumbled which was fine until a nerve got trapped, bloody hell that was 18 months of pure agony until i finally had steroid injections in the spine to reduce the swelling allow the nerve to move back out, now its all about avoid stuff that could cause a reoccurrence i.e. lifting or carrying but cycling is not only okay its recommended, lets hope his is as relatively easy to manage.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • m.r.m.
    But cycling has a rather unhealthy bent position. I find gym work for back and legs really helps in counter balancing that. May be worth it for you as well if you aren't already doing that. :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Oddly I have a herniated disc from a rugby injury and the longest I managed without a flare up was during the few years when I got back into cycling fairly seriously again. I get the occasional flare up after running, especially if I've been on more technical off road trails but the thing that causes the most issues is inactivity
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I only had back problems when I stopped cycling. Turns out that bent position on a bike stretched my back regularly which was just what it needed. No help to anyone though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I mainly find cycling is pretty bad for my back and neck, but that's from lying on the sofa watching it.

Sorry. Genuine sympathy for those with chronic issues.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I've also got a bulging disc and I've found core type work (recommended stuff by physio) keeps it pretty much asymptomatic. It can manifest as a tight hamstring which prevented my doing long miles and more than an hour high intensity at one point - I could just about get a chain gang done - imagine it's something similar Bernal is experiencing but obviously the demands he is placing on his body are greater (by several order of magnitude).
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Couldn't Bernal just use one crank longer than the other?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof said:

Perhaps you're thinking of an eccentric crank
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    like I said, he's not the second coming.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Custom shoes or cleat shims , depends I imagine on the differential . I think i have a leg length discrepancy.I once used a chiropractor who as a bit astonished at the difference , but thought it was a hip / back thing . He would lift my legs to lower back and lower them when relaxed to see discrepancy. Then do the adjustments to spine. It seemed weird to me but was a nice relaxing procedure.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    david37 said:

like I said, he's not the second coming.

He might not be but he's obviously got a load of talent and I hope he can get back to his best.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Matti66 said:

Custom shoes or cleat shims , depends I imagine on the differential . I think i have a leg length discrepancy.I once used a chiropractor who as a bit astonished at the difference , but thought it was a hip / back thing . He would lift my legs to lower back and lower them when relaxed to see discrepancy. Then do the adjustments to spine. It seemed weird to me but was a nice relaxing procedure.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-end-of-chiropractic/
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010

davidof said:

Perhaps you're thinking of an eccentric crank
    what, like Dave Brailsford?
    Insert bike here:
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190

Matti66 said:

Matti66 said:

Does Alan Harper Know of this!

I never really believed it was true , but it was relaxing so in that sense it is a form of physio therapy as the report suggests.