Rear mudguard for 29er hardtail

Just got a Vitus Nucleus 29 VR and need to get a rear mudguard.

I've narrowed it down to the Mudhugger or Topeak Defender XC11.

Is anyone using either and what is your experience?

TIA

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I have to admit I absolutely detest noisy ugly expensive mud guards and waiting for fellow riders to re-attach, adjust, straighten them when they get knocked.

I do think they engineer all front mud guards to direct any puddle water directly into the top of your shoes.

My prefered option is the little plastic ones like rrp enduro guard that zip tie on though they dont really stop you getting wet either.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    General rule is the cooler they look the less effective they are.

No mudguards for off road trails, just enjoy getting wet and muddy.

Applying the general rule for road riding or commuting purposes would make the Mudhugger the most effective. 😁

• loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I am not a fan just get some waterproof shorts problem solved.
    So Far!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I use a Mucky Nutz under the fork brace and a BTWIN rear mudguard from Decathlon. Both are very cheap. The Mucky Nutz just sits there and survives everything. The BTWIN mudguard is astonishingly good value (£8.99), is versatile and very quick to fit and remove. It can fit your seat tube or your seat post whichever is better for you. Highly adjustable. It stops that arc of muddy water from reaching right up your back! Wheel size 26"-29", Hardtail or Full Suss.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/700-mountain-biking-rear-mudguard/_/R-p-119922

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I Had Crudcatcher RacePac when I had a 29" doing a lot of mucky crosscountry riding. It was pretty rigid and worked well unless you kicked it getting on/off, but that is easy to check. Front guard had limited effect so I ditched it for a Mucky Nutz as above. It survived a good four years when I sold the bike and I guess still going strong. Well made and gave no problems.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-race-pac-mudguard-set

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.