Rip Frank Bough

One of the faces of British TV when most of us were growing up.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    He really was the most unlikley person to be involved in what he did get involved in! Huge part of my young life though, the Grandstand theme and Frank Bough . . . ah! Saturdays
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Fantastic broadcaster. As above, absolutely the last person you'd expect to be involved in a blow and hos scandal and so sad that a distinguished career came to an end because of it. Different times I guess.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Interesting piece in one of the papers (or somewhere can't remember where) about whether a young kid from a Stoke on Trent terraced house could go on to have a career in the BBC like that now.
  • I'm virtually back with his Saturday afternoon Grandstand shows...........ahhhh different times eh?.......better times? Not sure!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    shortfall said:

. . . so sad that a distinguished career came to an end because of it. Different times I guess.

Elevated him to "hero status" in my eyes . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

. . . so sad that a distinguished career came to an end because of it. Different times I guess.

Elevated him to "hero status" in my eyes . . .
    😀 If not in his wife's. Fair play to her though for sticking with him.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    shortfall said:

Fantastic broadcaster. As above, absolutely the last person you'd expect to be involved in a blow and hos scandal and so sad that a distinguished career came to an end because of it. Different times I guess.

Could have been worse.
    He could have gone to a party at Michael Barrymore's.
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

Could have been worse.
    He could have gone to a party at Michael Barrymore's.
    Yeah Barrymoore's career went from strength to strength after that to the point he was turning work down. Apparently his agent rang him with a panto roll in Jack and the Beanstalk and he said no thanks, I've just done A-lad-in.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,209

Interesting piece in one of the papers (or somewhere can't remember where) about whether a young kid from a Stoke on Trent terraced house could go on to have a career in the BBC like that now.

Surely far more likely these days then it was back then when the Beeb was dominated by public school presenter's with their received pronunciation? Most of the presenters these days seem to be more 'regional' e.g. Alex Scott (who I like but isn't exactly in the traditional mould).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Pross said:

Surely far more likely these days then it was back then when the Beeb was dominated by public school presenter's with their received pronunciation? Most of the presenters these days seem to be more 'regional' e.g. Alex Scott (who I like but isn't exactly in the traditional mould).
    It was in Unherd and was linking social mobility to the abolition of grammar schools so it was trying to make a point I guess.