Trying to find the right 26" rear wheel....

notamondayfan
notamondayfan Posts: 22
edited October 2020 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all,

I'm after a bit of advice after struggling to source a rear wheel.

My sons bike has a buckled rear wheel (didn't notice it when I bought it 2nd hand). I've bought 2nd hand wheels that don't fit, and so thought I'd bite the bullet and buy new from Evans, only for it to still be wrong.

Here's the wheel....

I'm just looking for a cheep (sub £50) replacement to get him going again. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dean

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited October 2020
    Hi Dean, those pics are of a front wheel as far as I can tell? Does the rear wheel fit to the bike with a quick release skewer?

How does the cassette fit to the hub?

Screw on?

Freehub where cassette slides on?

• hi, thanks for the reply.

yes its a quick release. the freehub screws into the hub, just like the last picture. the photos i've taken are after I've taken everything off, inc the hub, cassette, bearings, etc
  • ah and it's defo the rear wheel, the front is still on the bike :)
  • reaperactual
    edited October 2020
    😁😎 My fault Pal. Thought I needed an eye test for a minute!🤓

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountain-bike-wheel-26-rear-double-walled-rim-v-brake-disc-cassette-black/_/R-p-X8335778

This one should do the trick, for both rim and disc brakes, Shimano freehub, 26", standard quick release and in stock online.👍
  • Thanks, looks like it should fit.
    Do these wheels come ready to fit, or do you need to swap the bearings and other parts?
    I presume the freehub comes with the wheel too?
  • reaperactual
    edited October 2020
    😎 Will come ready to fit, freehub included.

Quickly fit the wheel into the frame and give it a spin by hand to see how well and smoothly it rotates. Sometimes these cup and cone hubs could do with a little more internal grease or are over tightened when assembled so may benefit correct bearing pre load.

If the wheel spins freely and you're happy with it leave it well alone!

Pre loading is one of those trial and error jobs to get just right which can take a while and usually involves a lot of swear words! 😡 Wouldn't attempt it unless you've done it before and fully understand what's involved.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852

hi, thanks for the reply.

yes its a quick release. the freehub screws into the hub, just like the last picture. the photos i've taken are after I've taken everything off, inc the hub, cassette, bearings, etc

Just wondering, why did you dismantle the hub?

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

hi, thanks for the reply.

Just wondering, why did you dismantle the hub?

Simply because I thought to replace a wheel would mean that you could order a wheel, and swap over the bearings, free hub, etc.
  • 😎 Will come ready to fit, freehub included.

Quickly fit the wheel into the frame and give it a spin by hand to see how well and smoothly it rotates. Sometimes these cup and cone hubs could do with a little more internal grease or are over tightened when assembled so may benefit correct bearing pre load.

If the wheel spins freely and you're happy with it leave it well alone!

Pre loading is one of those trial and error jobs to get just right which can take a while and usually involves a lot of swear words! 😡 Wouldn't attempt it unless you've done it before and fully understand what's involved.

Just about to order this, but notice it has a "hub" (don't know it's correct term), to connect a disc brake. Is this removable? Just worry about it fitting correctly.

Thanks,
    Dean
  • reaperactual
    edited November 2020
    Hi Dean. The wheel can use either disc or rim brakes, it will still fit fine as the overall width between the lock nuts (135mm) is the same.

Even though the 6 bolt disc mount is not removable (it's an integrated part of the hub shell) it's redundant for your needs on a V brake bike.
  • brilliant, t

Hi Dean. The wheel can use either disc or rim brakes, it will still fit fine as the overall width between the lock nuts (135mm) is the same.

Even though the 6 bolt disc mount is not removable (it's an integrated part of the hub shell) it's redundant for your needs on a V brake bike.

Brilliant, thanks. So the distance between the forks is universal?
  • reaperactual
    edited November 2020
    Yes, standard quick release is 100mm on forks and 135mm for rear frame. Axle diameter is also standard 9mm on front and 10mm on the rear, both use 5mm diameter skewers except obviously rear skewer is longer than front.

FYI. There is also another Boost 141 QR rear standard which is not relevant for older bikes and only used by certain bike brands.😎👍
  • JBA

Simply because I thought to replace a wheel would mean that you could order a wheel, and swap over the bearings, free hub, etc.

Ah, right. A lesson learned there then. :)

For the wheel you have bought you will have to fit rim tape to protect the inner tube from the sharp edges in the rim where the spoke holes are. If you haven't got any you could try and reuse the tape off the old wheel or just put a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the rim.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • All done!

Thanks guys!!
  • reaperactual
    edited November 2020
    Nice one! Looks good!😎👍
  • JBA
    :)